Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fgirard
Wouldn't that put the OP last on the U/G priority list, behind all CM elites and UA elites?
CM elites are UA elites. Mileage Plus is Copa's frequent flyer program.

There was a discussion of this issue elsewhere. Copa is generally unaware that Chase cardholders are theoretically eligible for upgrades on awards. I don't believe there's any internal mechanism at Copa which results in those tickets being placed in the CPU queue.

Still, the odds of this upgrade are no worse than that of a Silver on many routes out of SFO (i.e., essentially zero).
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I understand it's not likely. I just wanted to know if it's technically possible.

Also, this same board has said that Silver out of LAS is better than most places, which is why I thought to find this out in the first place.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by horse glasses
I understand it's not likely. I just wanted to know if it's technically possible.

Also, this same board has said that Silver out of LAS is better than most places, which is why I thought to find this out in the first place.
I think you will have to ask them at check in to add you to the upgrade list. I have never automatically been added in quite a few award flights on Copa. (I did get an upgrade once, but I'm pretty sure that was just an op-up based on status.) Let us know how it turns out.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:23 pm

OP, the rule you quoted says domestic, but you're flying international.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyingnosh
CM flights are all CPU eligible. And there's really no such thing as a "domestic" Copa flight (unless you count internal Colombia flights on AeroRepublica).
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:02 pm

Oh, I misread the original post to be SFO originating. Assuming it was UA metal then LAS is easier to get the CPU but looks like Copa and award ticket complicate that...
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
sloppy wording because any UA CPU-eligible flights (include international) is eligible for award upgradeable, so the phrase domestic is poorly chosen.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you will have to ask them at check in to add you to the upgrade list. I have never automatically been added in quite a few award flights on Copa. (I did get an upgrade once, but I'm pretty sure that was just an op-up based on status.) Let us know how it turns out.
Should I try to call them to be added to it or just ask at the gate?

I am kind of regretting not making a UA booking now but when I booked it I didn't anticipate reaching any kind of status or getting another credit card, but oh well.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:34 pm

Should I try to call them to be added to it or just ask at the gate?

I am kind of regretting not making a UA booking now but when I booked it I didn't anticipate reaching any kind of status or getting another credit card, but oh well.
You can try calling. The Copa phone agents are quite pleasant. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

You are really going out of the way to get to CUN. Hope you got a great deal on the fare.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
You can try calling. The Copa phone agents are quite pleasant. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

You are really going out of the way to get to CUN. Hope you got a great deal on the fare.
I think I already said it was an award ticket
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:01 pm

Flew COPA JFK-PTY-MVD and MVD-PTY-JFK Was upgraded to business within 24 hours on outbound and MVD-PTY leg. PTY-JFK upgrade cleared 29 minutes before boarding started. Business was completely full on all of my segments.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:58 pm

Copa seems to upgrade easily

Originally Posted by craigsf
I have United Gold status and am flying IAD-PTY-SCL next Saturday. Does anyone have experience getting upgrades on COPA?

I know that COPA is part of the MileagePlus program, though they don't share a login page, and the United upgrade page claims "All multi-cabin flights operated by Copa are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades without fare restrictions."

I've got my United MileagePlus number in the COPA system...is it as simple as that or do I need to take any other steps to make sure I'm eligible for an upgrade? The COPA site doesn't acknowledge my M+ Gold status next to my M+ number or anything like that.

I'm one of those people who never got their 2012 card, so I won't have any proof of my status if it's not in the system which make me extra worried (in terms of early boarding, etc. as well as upgrades).
With our star alliance status we got easily upgraded on Copa. They realize that travelers may prefer them for this reason.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:22 pm

I have mom + dad + 11yr brother on this upcoming trip.

I'm confident that I + mom will get upgraded.

Is it possible for full family lounge access if:
Mom upgrade brings brother. She is not entitled to a guest but hopefully they will let a kid in.
I bring dad in with *G.

Would I have to "sneak" my brother in? Or would the club agents be nice enough to process our whole family?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by scratchphysics
I have mom + dad + 11yr brother on this upcoming trip.

I'm confident that I + mom will get upgraded.

Is it possible for full family lounge access if:
Mom upgrade brings brother. She is not entitled to a guest but hopefully they will let a kid in.
I bring dad in with *G.

Would I have to "sneak" my brother in? Or would the club agents be nice enough to process our whole family?
I think you have a good shot. I have flown COPA through PTY with my family (wife & 2 kids at the time) 4 times. In all cases, I was on a paid ticket and they were on economy award tickets (separate PNR of course). I am the only one with status. In all cases they let us in without question.

YMMV, but I am 99% sure they are going to be family-friendly.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
I have an upcoming trip with my wife mixed UA/CM itinerary and am not sure how things are going to be processed.

On the outbound, I have UA/CM/CM to South America and on the return I have UA/UA. I had a friend upgrade me and my wife on the return using GPUs. But for the outbound, I'm going to try to go for CPUs.

On the first segment, UA will ask me if I want to split my PNR with my wife to be put on the upgrade CPU list. Should I do this? Will this screw up the CM segment PNRs as well as the return segments which are already GPU-ed? But if I do this, will Copa think I *don't* want to be upgraded? (I definitely want to be upgraded for the two 6 hour CM segments)

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.