Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by thegrailer
I've read this thread but don't feel any smarter on how to book and get an upgrade on COPA

I'd like to take advantage of the below promo and use RPUs for my upgrades

Do I call COPA for that? Am I missing something or is that all I need to do? Also, a mixed UA/CM itinerary might work best. I can't pull this up on either UA or CM [user error?]. Can COPA book this if I call including the W fare for GPUs on the UA segment? Lastly, 24H cancel policy for COPA too?

Cheers -
I find UA agents to be really ignorant on th Copa procedures. I am on a full B fare, so I get an instant upgrade. But UA agents, supervisors, etc continued to ask me for miles or Certs to confirm the upgrade. Even once sorted out, other agents would undo the upgrade and put me back in Y. It's been really trying!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Do I call COPA for that? Am I missing something or is that all I need to do? Also, a mixed UA/CM itinerary might work best. I can't pull this up on either UA or CM [user error?]. Can COPA book this if I call including the W fare for GPUs on the UA segment? Lastly, 24H cancel policy for COPA too?
To get the 25% PQM bonus, you do need to call COPA or use their website. The ticket would be on COPA stock. Unfortunately, on the website it is hard to find combined COPA/UA tickets. The site only allows you to select cities to which COPA flies, so if your itinerary does not include one of those cities, that won't work.

The UA website will not show you COPA routings if UA has an alternative. For example, when I book IAD-MDE, the UA site will not show COPA's IAD-PTY-MDE routing. The exception to that rule is if you look up award travel instead of paid tickets.

I would look on Hipmunk or Orbitz. Find a routing that includes both airlines and call COPA to see if they can book it for you if you want the 25% PQM bonus. However, the COPA agent cannot apply the GPU. You will have to call UA separately to do that. If you want to use GPU's, any UA metal must be W or better.

I've never done it myself, since I don't have the patience for all of that.

I don't think that COPA has a 24 hour policy like UA. At least, I have never seen anything in their published materials that says so.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thank you! [what a PITA]

I'd fly UA the entire route [GPU space available] but COPA's return is better than UA's 6:30AM IAD arrival. If COPA can book this, can they book a W class fare?

Originally Posted by coolcoil
T..

Last edited by thegrailer; Apr 18, 2013 at 12:57 pm
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:38 am

Thank you! [what a PITA]

I'd fly UA the entire route [GPU space available] but COPA's return is better than UA's 6:30AM IAD arrival. If COPA can book this, can they book a W class fare?
I don't know if COPA agents can book you into specific fares on UA. IME, they do not know much about the UA system.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 1K, TK Miles & Smiles Elite, AAdvantage Member
Just to share a personal experience, I am a UA 1K and flew W fare on SAN-IAH-PTY-SCL in February 2013 and received CPUs on the IAH-PTY (United) and PTY-SCL (Copa) segments. Copa business class was not bad. No lie flat seats but they were extended recline and an amenity pouch was given. Definitely better than UA domestic F in terms of seat comfort, food, and beverage selection. The trip was booked on United.com

Since Copa and UA share a MileageProgram, you should still get all your status perks on Copa (lounge access, upgrades, etc.)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
CPU rate for me has been 8/8 this year flying COPA as a 1K
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
To get the 25% PQM bonus, you do need to call COPA or use their website. The ticket would be on COPA stock. Unfortunately, on the website it is hard to find combined COPA/UA tickets. The site only allows you to select cities to which COPA flies, so if your itinerary does not include one of those cities, that won't work.
Copa is still offering a 25% PQM bonus. That's news to me. I remember last year they did but haven't heard about this year.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf
Copa is still offering a 25% PQM bonus. That's news to me. I remember last year they did but haven't heard about this year.
They don't do a great job of publicizing it. I think I received an email from them sometime in February saying that the program was still on and applies to any COPA channel purchase (i.e. website, phone, or at COPA office).

Unfortunately, my company is cracking down on the requirement to use the company travel agency, so I have only received the bonus on one flight this year.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I know you have a lot of experience in this area, but I will confirm that you are correct. I often book COPA flights through United, and while the United site says "not eligible for an upgrade," the standard COPA upgrade process always runs.

The other thing that I will mention in case others need the information is this:

The United site will not let you select a seat. However, you can select you seat on www.copaair.com. You will need the COPA PNR, which is different than the United PNR. You can find the COPA PNR on the United site by looking at your reservation. The link is called something like "other information."

On the COPA site, click on "manage your booking." You enter your COPA PNR and last name. Eventually (it's slow) your reservation will appear, and you then choose "select flight preferences." Don't try this immediately after you book the flight on the UA site, as you cannot select seats on COPA until the flight is actually ticketed. I usually do it a day later.
I personally do not recommend booking a UA codeshare, but rather purchasing the ticket direct from Copa. I have encountered all sorts of trouble getting United to properly credit miles from their own codeshare, primarily because they book into fare buckets that do not exist in the Copa system. This can lead to arcane rules interpretations which basically translate into "you are going to spend many hours repeating your story up the CS chain before someone stops saying 'no' long enough to undertand what actually happened."

I now just buy a Copa discount business ticket (D) and don't worry about upgrades. It's a true bargain. RT LAX-PTY for approx. $1200. With class of service and 25% EQ bonus, that's approx. 11,500 EQM.

It is a very well run airline and the hard product to PTY so much better than the truly awful equipment United flies out of Houston. (Though the PTY Copa Club has to be one of the worst lounges in the entire SA system.)
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
(Though the PTY Copa Club has to be one of the worst lounges in the entire SA system.)
This is no longer the case. The club is undergoing renovations. They seem to be about halfway done. The bathrooms are now larger and nicer, and the workstation area has been opened. The Internet speed is pretty fast. It looks like in the end they will have something that will be the equivalent of a nice United Club.

BTW - right now they are working on the front desk area, so there is a temporary (?) entrance from the second level where the food court is located. Stairs or elevator are in front of gate 22.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:46 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I personally do not recommend booking a UA codeshare, but rather purchasing the ticket direct from Copa. I have encountered all sorts of trouble getting United to properly credit miles from their own codeshare, primarily because they book into fare buckets that do not exist in the Copa system. This can lead to arcane rules interpretations which basically translate into "you are going to spend many hours repeating your story up the CS chain before someone stops saying 'no' long enough to undertand what actually happened."

I now just buy a Copa discount business ticket (D) and don't worry about upgrades. It's a true bargain. RT LAX-PTY for approx. $1200. With class of service and 25% EQ bonus, that's approx. 11,500 EQM.

It is a very well run airline and the hard product to PTY so much better than the truly awful equipment United flies out of Houston. (Though the PTY Copa Club has to be one of the worst lounges in the entire SA system.)
According to the earning chart. 1K's. don't earn 100% RDM bonus on COPA. What's up with that? I know most here care about EQM's but I am more interested in RDM's & I'm very surprised that LH/LX/NH/OS/AC 0ffer the elite RDM bonus but not COPA???
Old Apr 30, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
According to the earning chart. 1K's. don't earn 100% RDM bonus on COPA. What's up with that? I know most here care about EQM's but I am more interested in RDM's & I'm very surprised that LH/LX/NH/OS/AC 0ffer the elite RDM bonus but not COPA???
on the Copa site, it indicates that 1K do get 100% bonus RDM. i have to bend my thinking a bit, but i think the bonus is implicit because they have MP as their FF program.

http://www.copaair.com/sites/CC/en/M...s-premier.aspx
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:08 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Go To The Other North America/South America Forums

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Related to this: how is COPAs first/business hard & soft product?
LOT'S of posts about this...my experiance: a LOT BETTER THAN US DOMESTIC!!!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:41 am

+1 By all means check the Copa D fares (requiring CM as the issuing carrier, not UA) before starting the upgrade process. You'll be amazed how nice it feels not to hassle with any kind of UA upgrade, have a confirmed seat, and get the bonuses!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by eleeut
on the Copa site, it indicates that 1K do get 100% bonus RDM. i have to bend my thinking a bit, but i think the bonus is implicit because they have MP as their FF program.

http://www.copaair.com/sites/CC/en/M...s-premier.aspx
Yes, they pretty much follow the same rules as UA.

- Same RDM bonus based on Premiere level.
- All standard fare classes minimum 100% RDM
- Bonus 50% RDM for Y, B, M and (I think) H
- Bonus for C and D
- Min 500 mile credit for Premiere FF members

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.