Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
@caseminole UA elites are eligible for upgrades on all COPA flights. United flights to Central America and "Northern South America" are also fare game though.

@Starman United Elites and COPA elites are treated the same (technically it's all Mileage Plus) and code share shouldn't make a difference. I don't know if they prioritize COPA over United elites at the same level.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
I didnt think upgrades were possible on international flights

Wouldnt these upgrades be considered going from Coach to "BF"?
They aren't, it's like coach to business, which in UA terminology means domestic F on an international route. You can CPU on international routes where UA flies domestic equipment (e.g. Canada, LIM, and many others), and this carries over to COPA as well.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Antipode
They aren't, it's like coach to business, which in UA terminology means domestic F on an international route. You can CPU on international routes where UA flies domestic equipment (e.g. Canada, LIM, and many others), and this carries over to COPA as well.
But CPUs are not good in "south" South America (e.g., EZE or SCL) on either UA or CM, right? So only instrument-supported upgrades are possible there. But, what's the fare class bucket needed on CM? If it's R, just like UA, several CM flights I have checked simply don't have an R bucket at all, as opposed to sometimes having one, but set to R=0.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Starman
But CPUs are not good in "south" South America (e.g., EZE or SCL) on either UA or CM, right?
CM is CPU eligible.

It's only BF-marketed markets that are not CPU eligible. CM does not have BF, therefore their whole network is CPU eligible.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by channa
CM is CPU eligible.

It's only BF-marketed markets that are not CPU eligible. CM does not have BF, therefore their whole network is CPU eligible.
So I can fly 6,000 miles, e.g., SFO-SCL, on a free (CPU) C upgrade??! That's surely unprecedented on the entire *A system! But suppose I don't want to take my chances on a CPU, and want to confirm in advance with an instrument -- does anyone know the fare bucket needed on CM? (Sorry to sound like a broken record; just can't seem to find anyone who knows).
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold
So I can fly 6,000 miles, e.g., SFO-SCL, on a free (CPU) C upgrade??! That's surely unprecedented on the entire *A system! But suppose I don't want to take my chances on a CPU, and want to confirm in advance with an instrument -- does anyone know the fare bucket needed on CM? (Sorry to sound like a broken record; just can't seem to find anyone who knows).
It's documented in multiple places, but this line is from the Upgrades Overview page:

All multi-cabin flights operated by Copa are eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades without fare restrictions.

also may be of interest:

All Premier members are eligible for instant upgrades on Copa flights, when traveling on Y, B, M or H tickets.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's just like a CPU market, any revenue fare bucket can be confirmed with an instrument. The website says there are no fare class restrictions.

As for being unprecedented, you can fly across quite a bit of territory on CPU.

You could fly SCL-PTY-ORD-HNL-(island hopper)-GUM-CNS if you wanted to, all CPU-eligible.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:44 pm

CM instant upgrade on H fare?

As pointed out above in this thread, the UA website states on the upgrade overview page "All Premier members are eligible for instant upgrades on Copa flights, when traveling on Y, B, M or H tickets". However the COPA website in its "Premier levels/Benefits" section states "On eligible flights, Premier members have several courtesy class upgrade options, if seats are available, including automatic, confirmed class upgrades when a ticket purchased in class Y, B and M is issued."

Thus the COPA site omits the H fare. Has anyone had experience trying to get the instant upgrade on a CM H fare?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
As for being unprecedented, you can fly across quite a bit of territory on CPU.

You could fly SCL-PTY-ORD-HNL-(island hopper)-GUM-CNS if you wanted to, all CPU-eligible.
Is HNL-GUM CPU-able indeed?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Is HNL-GUM CPU-able indeed?
If you take the island hopper (737).
Old Apr 5, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Are COPA upgrades prioritized by fare class (like UA) or in strict date/time of ticketing (like some other carriers)?

As a 1K on a W fare with a companion booked for September (seat map looks completely empty), how likely are my upgrade chances on JFK-PTY-MVD and back? I'm considering burning RPUs, but if it's pretty much a guaranteed upgrade for both me and my same-PNR companion, I won't bother.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
COPA C

The seating is similar to United domestic, no in-seat entertainment (though the magazine implies they're upgrading to it), decent three course meal with choice of entrees plus a pre-landing snack and looked like a decent alcohol selection. Coach had a meal and snack and free (less premium) alcohol too, FYI. PTY lounge was comparable to a United domestic lounge.
COPA has two types of 737-800, which are used on their longer routes. (They also have 737-700s and E-190s, but I haven't been onboard either.) One type is indeed very similar to UA domestic F. The other is similar to the old UA barcalounger international C, although certainly much newer and perhaps a bit nicer. It has a fold-out video screen at each seat. In my limited experience flying CM I have always had the newer C on PTY-GRU, the older on PTY-LAS, and a mix on PTY-LAX.

CM seems to have a very efficient operation with most flights on time or a bit early. The catering is good and most of the FAs are very good. I have been underwhelmed by the ground CS staff.

CM's PTY lounge is centrally located in the terminal and is okay but can get very overcrowded during peak ops. There is another lounge down around gate 20 something that is much nicer and much quieter. Priority Pass will get you in there if you have it.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jackstay
The other is similar to the old UA barcalounger international C, although certainly much newer and perhaps a bit nicer. It has a fold-out video screen at each seat.
Enlightening details. Does this barca-lounger also come with footrests?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Enlightening details. Does this barca-lounger also come with footrests?
I flew the new-looking 737 with sky interior last fall LAX-PTY-GRU roundtrip in C on CPU.
The seat has this hard thin flap that you put down to become a footrest.

see 2nd picture on this page
http://www.boeingblogs.com/randy/arc...get_happy.html
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
To extend the footrest easily...

Yes, it does have a footrest (as described in the reply above).

One perhaps useful tip is how to deploy it...I had a difficult time with it until I discovered this. There are four controls all in a row in the armrest. One is for recline, one is for lumbar, and the last two control the footrest. The trick is to fold down the flap that forms the footrest and then, while actuating both of footrest controls at the same time, push the footrest down to where you want it with your feet and release the controls. Using both controls together makes stowing it easier too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.