Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
Latest Experience w/ COPA upgrades?

I just booked the following:

LAX-PTY(stopover), PTY-SCL(dest), EZE-PTY-LAX

1) Does anyone have any updated advice/experience applying RPUs to COPA? My understanding is that I will need 3 RPUs for the itinerary above and that I call United not COPA to apply them. Please confirm, if you know.

2) I am 1K now but will fall to Platinum before the flights. Any thoughts on my chances for CPU? I have been thinking of only apply RPUs to the EZE-PTY-LAX since I get two flights for one and the 1st leg is an overnight.

This COPA noob welcomes all advice.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by pinerd
I have an upcoming trip with my wife mixed UA/CM itinerary and am not sure how things are going to be processed.

On the outbound, I have UA/CM/CM to South America and on the return I have UA/UA. I had a friend upgrade me and my wife on the return using GPUs. But for the outbound, I'm going to try to go for CPUs.

On the first segment, UA will ask me if I want to split my PNR with my wife to be put on the upgrade CPU list. Should I do this? Will this screw up the CM segment PNRs as well as the return segments which are already GPU-ed? But if I do this, will Copa think I *don't* want to be upgraded? (I definitely want to be upgraded for the two 6 hour CM segments)

Thanks in advance!
I think it'll be a lot simpler for Copa to understand if you don't split the PNRs. I am not sure what Copa's policy is for companion upgrades if the companion is not on the same PNR. It certainly won't be automated (although as it is, upgrades really aren't automated on Copa...they always seem to be cleared only at the gate).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by jackal
I think it'll be a lot simpler for Copa to understand if you don't split the PNRs. I am not sure what Copa's policy is for companion upgrades if the companion is not on the same PNR.
+1 on this. I don't know for sure that splitting the PNR would have any effect on your COPA reservation, but I wouldn't chance it. Any time I have been booked on UA stock that included COPA flights, any change by UA that resulted in a ticket reissue caused the COPA reservation to hang up. It's nothing disastrous, but it's a pain-in-the-neck.

Originally Posted by jackal
It certainly won't be automated (although as it is, upgrades really aren't automated on Copa...they always seem to be cleared only at the gate).
My experience has been different. I would say that I get an automated upgrade 80% to 90% of the time as a PLT and now 1K. It is true though, that the upgrades often come through at T-24 or less. However, sometimes the system does fail, so you do have to watch. For some reason, I was not on the UG list for JFK-PTY last week. The check in desk agent put me on the list, and by the time I got to the gate, they already had my new BP printed.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by coolcoil
+1 on this. I don't know for sure that splitting the PNR would have any effect on your COPA reservation, but I wouldn't chance it. Any time I have been booked on UA stock that included COPA flights, any change by UA that resulted in a ticket reissue caused the COPA reservation to hang up. It's nothing disastrous, but it's a pain-in-the-neck.

My experience has been different. I would say that I get an automated upgrade 80% to 90% of the time as a PLT and now 1K. It is true though, that the upgrades often come through at T-24 or less. However, sometimes the system does fail, so you do have to watch. For some reason, I was not on the UG list for JFK-PTY last week. The check in desk agent put me on the list, and by the time I got to the gate, they already had my new BP printed.
Cool thanks for the advice both! That was my thought too, don't touch the reservation since it might break an important itinerary...especially with one with continuing service not on *A.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Hello, I am planning on Booking a flight LAX to Kingston Jamica on CM via PTY. Its an L class ticket. I am Premier Gold. Is there any difference if I Book on UA or CM for Upgrade Purposes (CPU)? Last year there was a 25% bonus on PQM's for Booking on CM and I don't see that anymore. So Just curious if the booking source has any impact on CM CPU's. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA GS MM, HHonors Silver, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, AA, DL
Automatic upgrades on COPA

Yesterday I flew UIO-PTY-MEX and the upgrade came through automatically on both flights four days before the flight. That is normal. I would suggest keeping it as one record based on my experience with Copa which is 20 to 30 flights a year.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Avoid the UA codeshare, book through COPA.

The upgrade LAX-PTY is one of the tougher ones in the COPA system. You still could get it as a gold, but I wouldn't count on it.

Upgrades on that route come at T-24 or at the gate.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks is the 25% PQM Bonus for Booking on Copa valid for 2014, or is that offer discontinued?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Avoid the UA codeshare, book through COPA.

The upgrade LAX-PTY is one of the tougher ones in the COPA system. You still could get it as a gold, but I wouldn't count on it.

Upgrades on that route come at T-24 or at the gate.
+1.

I have not seen anything from COPA on the 25% for 2014, but they didn't make an announcement at the beginning of 2013 either.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
+1.

I have not seen anything from COPA on the 25% for 2014, but they didn't make an announcement at the beginning of 2013 either.
True. They did not make an announcement, but wasn't it on the "earn miles" page of the web site under MileagePlus? I don't see it there now.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
True. They did not make an announcement, but wasn't it on the "earn miles" page of the web site under MileagePlus? I don't see it there now.
It wasn't there at this time last year either. I had searched every page carefully and found nothing. I was surprised when the bonus showed up in my account. That doesn't mean the same will happen this year though.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
It wasn't there at this time last year either. I had searched every page carefully and found nothing. I was surprised when the bonus showed up in my account. That doesn't mean the same will happen this year though.
I hope they keep it. The move by UA to disallow CPUs and RPUs from northern South America has resulted in my decision to quit flying UA to the US, even from Central America.

It's just my own little protest, and Copa is my replacement carrier - even when my ultimate destination isn't particularly convenient to one of their US cities served. It would be nice to continue to receive the 25% PQM bonus for the inconvenience/additional cost.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I hope they keep it. The move by UA to disallow CPUs and RPUs from northern South America has resulted in my decision to quit flying UA to the US, even from Central America.
Can't say I blame you, because UA's rule change was absolutely inexcusable absent an equipment upgrade on those routes which has not been forthcoming.

I've been buying $1100-1300 P fares SFO-BOG. Which seem pretty widely available. Not sure if that's a consequence of the change (i.e., UA now has a surplus of F seats on the route) or if I'm just doing what UA wants me to do.

I'm still massively pissed at COPA for how they handled the October PTY meltdown. They have not paid the refund they agreed in writing to provide and it's starting to look like I'm not going to get my money back without a DOT complaint.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
You might only need 2 depending on length of the stopover. You will need to call the United Star Alliance desk and have your COPA reservation # handy if you booked via an OTA or Copa.com. The process will take 30 min or so unless you booked directly with UA and if you don't want to wait on the line have them email you the updated itin.

Since UA is duplicating the reservation, and pulling it over to the "UA Side" the reservation will now also show on United.com. While COPA doesn't have a waitlist for United MP members you can look for Z fares on United.com (I believe this is the fare equiv to R space) to see if instrument space is avail).

When are you flying?

I'm a 1K and on a JFK-PTY-MVD in two weeks and burned an expiring GPU for the flight out (JFK-PTY no open space currently) and probably will use a regional for the return (space is available) since it's summer down there even though upgrades for United MP members do happen but I've heard after COPA MP members and fare-ups.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 11:03 am

UPDATE: I just received the 25% bonus PQM for a flight flown on 1/12 (booked on copaair.com). So, it looks like the program is still on.

FWIW - the 1/12 flight posted on 1/15 and the bonus PQM on 1/18. The 4 legs I flew on 1/1 and 1/4 did not post until 1/18, and no bonus PQM on them yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.