Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by zigenbock
So, just booked an reward ticket and now it is showing booked in YN - wonder what is this going to do? Looks like the XN has now dissapeared,
YN is for a 'standard' coach award (2x the miles) from the extra award inventory fr elite members.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zigenbock
So, just booked an reward ticket and now it is showing booked in YN - wonder what is this going to do? Looks like the XN has now dissapeared,
The "N", whether XN or YN probably means you won't automatically be added to the upgrade list...if you can call and get the N removed, I think your upgrade chances will be better. If you're not flying soon, I'd wait til the dust settles on some of the other issues they are dealing with since you sometimes had to call multiple times (pre 3/3) to get an agent willing to do this and since each call represents a long hold time, this relatively simple change could take awhile. My hope is that folks will start posting stories of being in XN or YN AND getting automatically added to the upgrade list before I have to call about my flight for May that is currently in XN.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The "N", whether XN or YN probably means you won't automatically be added to the upgrade list...if you can call and get the N removed, I think your upgrade chances will be better. If you're not flying soon, I'd wait til the dust settles on some of the other issues they are dealing with since you sometimes had to call multiple times (pre 3/3) to get an agent willing to do this and since each call represents a long hold time, this relatively simple change could take awhile. My hope is that folks will start posting stories of being in XN or YN AND getting automatically added to the upgrade list before I have to call about my flight for May that is currently in XN.
I don't think an agent would change a YN to a Y ... those are two totally different fares!!!! Ask for X.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:47 pm

One convoluted way to avoid this, if you're an elite, is to search for, and choose, available award flights before signing in. The system will only show "X" availability, which is generally not as extensive as "XN," which is for elites. When you go to actually book the award by signing in, the system will keep you in "X," thereby avoiding some of the previous discussed hassles. Of course, if UA ever fixes this feature so that it works as it is suppose to, then you will want to book into "XN" as that will be the proper category for the credit card award upgrade. Things are presently the exact reverse of what they should be.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JetAway
One convoluted way to avoid this, if you're an elite, is to search for, and choose, available award flights before signing in. The system will only show "X" availability, which is generally not as extensive as "XN," which is for elites. When you go to actually book the award by signing in, the system will keep you in "X," thereby avoiding some of the previous discussed hassles. Of course, if UA ever fixes this feature so that it works as it is suppose to, then you will want to book into "XN" as that will be the proper category for the credit card award upgrade. Things are presently the exact reverse of what they should be.
FWIW, by doing this you might miss flights that nly have availability in XN.... I sure with they would simply fix the problem.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
FWIW, by doing this you might miss flights that nly have availability in XN.... I sure with they would simply fix the problem.
Yes, you would miss some flights-depends on the itinerary. The "problem" has been around for months with no fix in sight. And fixing it by phone is a huge hassle. I was simply pointing out an imperfect, but possibly useful, way to bypass the issue.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:32 pm

Nothing to see here, sorry
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:08 am

Programs: DL Plat
Interesting posts... I am booked on EWR > DFW tonight.

Booked a reward flight... using CO miles.. and Presidential Plus card. According to the mobile site I am not on the wait list for an upgrade but COUA agent had informed me otherwise. Is this the norm? When would same day upgrades occur usually?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Interesting posts... I am booked on EWR > DFW tonight.

Booked a reward flight... using CO miles.. and Presidential Plus card. According to the mobile site I am not on the wait list for an upgrade but COUA agent had informed me otherwise. Is this the norm? When would same day upgrades occur usually?
Agent only see's the EUA upgrade list. The airport upgrade list (battlefield list) is different and only clears at the gate. If you checked in and was not placed on the mobile site (the battlefield list), then you are not on that specific upgrade list.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
Booked in XN and just got upgraded via the EUA. Can we confirm this issue is now fixed?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Now that the PSS has swapped over, does this supposedly work on UA metal flights too?

I want to book an RJ which I know won't sell out in F and would love getting it for half miles!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA CK, DL PLT, HH DIA, MARRIOTT PLT, FAIRMONT LT PLT, HYATT DIA, SIXT PLT, AVIS PC
In theory yes. The question is if XN would clear vs just X.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by benolaa
Booked in XN and just got upgraded via the EUA. Can we confirm this issue is now fixed?
Can anyone else confirm this? I have a flight on Thursday and I'm not sure what I should do - switch XN to X or leave as XN
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by benolaa
I think we need a few more reports before we can "confirm" this issue is fixed.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA/CO, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by JetAway
I think we need a few more reports before we can "confirm" this issue is fixed.
Another data point. Upgraded 96 hours out on XN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.