Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by 767400
I booked a reward ticket back in December for me and 2 family members on same PNR. I am the only elite member on that PNR and used my Chase Pres Plus card for the taxes.

I know my question goes against what this thread is about.

I want to make sure I DO NOT get put on the upgrade list or have the PNR split since I am with family. I have been reading The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop and there it looks like my PNR should not be split since there are 2 GM on there with me. Would the same be true for the reward upgrade policy?
Not sure what will happen -- I have a similar situation coming up in a few weeks. However, I think what will happen is that it will try to upgrade everyone at the window.

Not sure if it will auto split @ 24 hours. However, it doesn't look like it will based on the fact that people don't seem to get added to the upgrade list at all at 24 hours anyway (if they haven't been upgraded beforehand). That function seems to be still broken from what I see here.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Well, I ended up on the upgrade list just after the 24 hour mark on the outbound. I was upgraded a few hours later. Every phone agent (and supervisor) claimed that I would not be put on the upgrade list within my Elite window but only after I checked in. They were right.

Meanwhile, on the return, I was not even on the upgrade list. I spoke for a long time with the Gate Agent who confirmed with his station manager that it was a complete mistake that I was even upgraded at all on the outbound because award tickets cannot be upgraded. So, I sat in coach, while people with lower status got upgraded in front of me.

I fired off a letter to customer care, addressed to SMI/J.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:12 am

That's so awesome: not only are the agents wrong they further insult you by insisting when you were rightfully upgraded it was a mistake.

Why does this continue? Calling UA Insider...help?
Old May 1, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Originally Posted by B787938
That's so awesome: not only are the agents wrong they further insult you by insisting when you were rightfully upgraded it was a mistake.

Why does this continue? Calling UA Insider...help?
I felt sorry for the Gate Agent. He was a nice guy and tried to help. I showed him a printout of the Upgrade policy from United.com, showing that award tickets for people with the appropriate credit cards should get upgraded. He physically wouldn't look at it and said that whatever is on the web is not policy. He also told me that I was lucky to even get boarding priority #3 because the system is so screwed up from the integration. He looked frustrated.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by hooterbif
I felt sorry for the Gate Agent. He was a nice guy and tried to help. I showed him a printout of the Upgrade policy from United.com, showing that award tickets for people with the appropriate credit cards should get upgraded. He physically wouldn't look at it and said that whatever is on the web is not policy. He also told me that I was lucky to even get boarding priority #3 because the system is so screwed up from the integration. He looked frustrated.
The following codes are from CO days but i'm sure some (if not all) should still exist.

In the future, you can try mentioning GG_one_plus Or GG_pres_plus. Also they can look under the CO DRS -> EUA GEN LINE141. This is where the agent could find the award benefit description for elite members who have Chase OnePass Plus or PP CC.
Old May 1, 2012, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by edcho
The following codes are from CO days but i'm sure some (if not all) should still exist.

In the future, you can try mentioning GG_one_plus Or GG_pres_plus. Also they can look under the CO DRS -> EUA GEN LINE141. This is where the agent could find the award benefit description for elite members who have Chase OnePass Plus or PP CC.
Thanks. He was a "by the codes" kind of guy. He kept pointing at his screen and explaining that the codes and buckets didn't make sense to him.
Old May 1, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by edcho

In the future, you can try mentioning GG_one_plus Or GG_pres_plus.
I suspect those are GG ONEPLUS and GG PRESPLUS -- without the underscores. I'm not certain, but none of the other GG references I've seen have underscores, and there is certainly a space between GG and the keyword. Perhaps smeone who knows can enlighten us.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:31 am

more info

I have another trip coming up. I called a few times to inquire about the upgrade rules for award tickets. As usual, I received a bunch of mis-information, but the agents consistently claimed that the official rule is that the upgrade could only be done on the day of departure at the airport.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:52 am

Upgrade on YN Fare?

Just curious if anyone has had luck in having a YN fare automatically upgrade in advance of checking in?

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Booked an award ticket yesterday between the GS and 1K window (fare class XN). Ticket was upgraded at the 1K window into first! ^
Old May 9, 2012, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by tekolla
Just curious if anyone has had luck in having a YN fare automatically upgrade in advance of checking in?
Thanks!
Hmmm. Is a YN ticket any different than an XN ticket in this regard? When I talked to a phone agent yesterday about upgrades on award tickets, he said that is only possible on a Standard Award fare (which I think is YN), not a Saver Award fare. I simply dismissed this statement as misinformation, but I was curious about the fact that he was making SOME kind of distinction between the two different kinds of fares in the context of upgrades.

By the way, I have XN outbound and YN return this weekend. I will let you know if there is any different treatment (although the XN flight has 20 open first seats and a mostly empty airplane and the YN flight has only 1 open first seat and a completely full plane).
Old May 9, 2012, 1:36 pm

OK, well, that was fast. I can tell you now that my XN cleared today at exactly the 48 hour window. So, this business about only being able to upgrade at the airport on the same day by showing the GA your credit card is bogus.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
OK, well, that was fast. I can tell you now that my XN cleared today at exactly the 48 hour window. So, this business about only being able to upgrade at the airport on the same day by showing the GA your credit card is bogus.
Yes of course it is bogus - as stated many times, the agents DO NOT know what they are talking about. I and many others have had many XN reward tickets (as previously posted in this thread) upgraded at the 1K window. People need to stop listening to what the agents are telling them.....
Old May 11, 2012, 5:54 am

Hmmm. Is a YN ticket any different than an XN ticket in this regard? When I talked to a phone agent yesterday about upgrades on award tickets, he said that is only possible on a Standard Award fare (which I think is YN), not a Saver Award fare. I simply dismissed this statement as misinformation, but I was curious about the fact that he was making SOME kind of distinction between the two different kinds of fares in the context of upgrades.

By the way, I have XN outbound and YN return this weekend. I will let you know if there is any different treatment (although the XN flight has 20 open first seats and a mostly empty airplane and the YN flight has only 1 open first seat and a completely full plane).

Thanks! Would love to hear your experience on the YN fare. We were upgraded to Lima on the outbound X fare 72 hrs advance. We return next week Friday on a YN fare. Right now, business class is wide open.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG
ELITE UPGRADES ON REWARD TICKETS: Chase is not responsible for fulfillment [merged]

I just flew KIX to GUM on an award. At check I had to pull out my Explorer card. At that point, the young Japanese gate agent knew exactly what I was talking about and put us in business. Business was wide open so even my 19 month old got her own seat. It's nice when the upgrade works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.