Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sheepherder
My wife and I recently got back from Hawaii and wanted to share the frustration with getting upgrades. I followed the recommendations in this thread and had our flights changed to x class. this was done with the help desk stating that there were glitches with the system even with x class. I should point out that both my wife and I are gold and both have our own one pass plus card.

We tried to work it out over the phone on several occassions to make sure everyhting was coded correctly and would get answers varying form it can't be done to it can only be done for presidential plus to no problem its all taken care of.

At the 72 hour window we called again and were advised that there was nothing that could be done. I then made a copy of the website stating the upgrade reward policy. Our flight was FLL-IAH-LAX-ITO. At FLL the lounge person had no clue but really seemed to try and finally said it was all taken care of. We checked again at IAH and the lounge person found it wasn't done, said it couldn't be done, finally agreed it should be able to be done and was able to accomplish it. By then they were no upgrade seats on the IAH-LAX flight.

Checking in again at the lounge in LAX we were told we were on standby but when we checked our email saw that we had in fact been upgraded. (this miscommunication had something to do with our trying to get the information from the United lounge which was using their system it appeared.)

The major problem appeared to be no one could figure out how to do it for two people with both their own gold status and their own one pass plus cards travelling on the same record.

Anyhow has anyone received any compensation (miles) for not being upgraded at the appropriate window when there were seats available to upgrade?
I can see having two people on a PNR with a reward upgrade system that is quite problematic would add another layer to the potential for a problem...since you were both Gold and card holders, what was the reason you were on the same PNR? I always book my wife and I on separate PNRs just to help the upgrade process along and it seems to work...even on separate PNRs, most of the time, we either both get or don't get upgraded.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Anyhow has anyone received any compensation (miles) for not being upgraded at the appropriate window when there were seats available to upgrade?
Short answer is no. Hence the title of this entire thread.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by transparent
I've called in about 3 different award reservations, with 3 different reps-- no problem getting it switched. I just say I want to switch to X from XN because I have the credit card that provides elite upgrades, but have issues with XN and getting on the list. Usually done within a few minutes and off the phone.
I just did the same with a BOS-EWR-LAS and LAS-CLE-BOS trip today as well with no issues.

EWR-LAS was in XN (as was Cle-Bos but it's an RJ so didn't much matter).

Called Elite Desk, told her nicely I have a one pass plus card and rumor has it their is an issue with getting the upgrades on XN and wanted the XN segment from EWR-LAS moved into X. At first she didn't get what I was saying then she did. Said... "Oh I wasn't aware of that being an issue but I can change it, you sound like you probably know better then I do and (said jokingly) I'm better off not questioning anything these days."

Very pleasant and had it done in less then 5 minutes and she did same with the CLE-BOS leg despite fact I didn't request or need that one moved. Trip isn't till end of March but we'll see how the award upgrade process goes as I don't expect EWR-LAS or LAS-CLE legs to be very elite heavy.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Now it makes sense why i didnt get upgrade on my award travel.

I flew HKG GUM YAP GUM NRT HKG.
confirmed HKG GUM YAP in R
and was not on the upgrade list in GUM YAP NRT HKG
and i know it was booked into XN.
that was in Jan 2012.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG
Just sent the following email to CO customer service. We will see what happens (it was an X fare).

Recently I flew RT GUM-ROR. I am a Platinum Onepass member. I used award miles and booked online. I used the Chase Mileageplus Explorer card to pay for the taxes and I also updated my information and listed the card as my primary card. I called the elite line multiple times to verify that I was set to be placed on the upgrade list. Each time the agent I spoke to had very little knowledge of this rule. Needless to say, I went to the airport and had the same struggles. I showed them the rules off of the website, but they still struggled and couldn't add me to the stand-by list. Upon my return, I had the same problem (and there were open seats in business during the flight). After this experience I feel deceived by the marketing. I acquired the credit card to take advantage of this option and have been unable to thus far. I have always been happy with CO and now UA. I would appreciate a response as to what happened and how this can be fixed for my future travel. Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by gree0411
Just sent the following email to CO customer service. We will see what happens (it was an X fare).

Recently I flew RT GUM-ROR. I am a Platinum Onepass member. I used award miles and booked online. I used the Chase Mileageplus Explorer card to pay for the taxes and I also updated my information and listed the card as my primary card. I called the elite line multiple times to verify that I was set to be placed on the upgrade list. Each time the agent I spoke to had very little knowledge of this rule. Needless to say, I went to the airport and had the same struggles. I showed them the rules off of the website, but they still struggled and couldn't add me to the stand-by list. Upon my return, I had the same problem (and there were open seats in business during the flight). After this experience I feel deceived by the marketing. I acquired the credit card to take advantage of this option and have been unable to thus far. I have always been happy with CO and now UA. I would appreciate a response as to what happened and how this can be fixed for my future travel. Thanks.
I think I must be missing something. Does the Mileage Plus Explorer card offer upgrades on award tickets? I thought it was only One Pass Plus and Presidential Plus.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
I think I must be missing something. Does the Mileage Plus Explorer card offer upgrades on award tickets? I thought it was only One Pass Plus and Presidential Plus.
Don't have one so I don't know.. but I think (could be wrong) that was an advertised benefit starting after March 3rd? again... I don't know where I got that idea seems I may have read it somewhere along the FT perusing.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:10 pm

Yes, you're missing something. According to the Continental website, the following cards qualify for the upgrade on an award:

OnePass Plus
Presidential Plus
World Card for Business
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business

Nowhere on the site does it state that this is a benefit that starts March 3rd.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by gree0411
Yes, you're missing something. According to the Continental website, the following cards qualify for the upgrade on an award:

OnePass Plus
Presidential Plus
World Card for Business
Presidential Plus for Business
MileagePlus Explorer
MileagePlus Explorer for Business

Nowhere on the site does it state that this is a benefit that starts March 3rd.
Would you mind pointing me to where the website says that? Not doubting you, just can't find it. Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
My wife and I recently got back from Hawaii and wanted to share the frustration with getting upgrades. I followed the recommendations in this thread and had our flights changed to x class. this was done with the help desk stating that there were glitches with the system even with x class. I should point out that both my wife and I are gold and both have our own one pass plus card.

We tried to work it out over the phone on several occassions to make sure everyhting was coded correctly and would get answers varying form it can't be done to it can only be done for presidential plus to no problem its all taken care of.

At the 72 hour window we called again and were advised that there was nothing that could be done. I then made a copy of the website stating the upgrade reward policy. Our flight was FLL-IAH-LAX-ITO. At FLL the lounge person had no clue but really seemed to try and finally said it was all taken care of. We checked again at IAH and the lounge person found it wasn't done, said it couldn't be done, finally agreed it should be able to be done and was able to accomplish it. By then they were no upgrade seats on the IAH-LAX flight.

Checking in again at the lounge in LAX we were told we were on standby but when we checked our email saw that we had in fact been upgraded. (this miscommunication had something to do with our trying to get the information from the United lounge which was using their system it appeared.)

The major problem appeared to be no one could figure out how to do it for two people with both their own gold status and their own one pass plus cards travelling on the same record.

I got a $150 compensation for being "upgraded" on the gate monitor but not getting the upgrade in reality - there was some system glitch. This was for an SFO-LAX flight.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:30 pm

Would you mind pointing me to where the website says that? Not doubting you, just can't find it. Thanks.
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US.../upgrades.aspx
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:31 pm

Nope - and feel free to doubt me! I don't have the card so I've never looked - I only posted that because for some reason I thought I saw it in a thread as I was browsing FT at some point. It was purely off the cuff (thus why I pointed out I could be wrong and thought I saw it while perusing FT)

Sorry if it's misinformation I have the Onepass plus so my focus on the benefit has always been solely for that card.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by jkburns1
Nope - and feel free to doubt me! I don't have the card so I've never looked - I only posted that because for some reason I thought I saw it in a thread as I was browsing FT at some point. It was purely off the cuff (thus why I pointed out I could be wrong and thought I saw it while perusing FT)

Sorry if it's misinformation I have the Onepass plus so my focus on the benefit has always been solely for that card.
No worries.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by channa
They're not supposed to inherit your status, it's a system limitation in CO's systems that the award ticket purchaser's FFN and status show up on the traveller's record.

As such, they inherit your status.

There are multiple bugs at play with award tickets and credit cards where it doesn't always recognize the status (there's an XN vs. X issue as well as regular X issue that come up from time to time). That may be going on here, or it's possible that the MP Explorer Card doesn't yet provide this benefit.

Anyhow, the point is that since it's not supposed to happen, it's just a limitation, it's not something that's promised or guaranteed. That means that if the automation isn't working, you really have no recourse because it's a benefit the traveller is not supposed to get anyway.
Thanks, I guess I was just hoping for things to work out (unintended by CO, as it were).

Hopefully this will be figured out (at least with respect to the MP+ Explorer card) by the time the system changes over this week--I hate having to fight for something that should be automated.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Companion on 3/3

Quick question, flying with two family members on 3/3 who are both Infinite Plats but will be Lifetime 1k's on 3/3. They are on award tickets and the one who's miles were pulled has the OP Plus card, and I am on a revenue ticket. Their upgrades have yet to clear but hopefully will soon. There is no chance that I'll get a CPU as a Silver that day so my question is will I be able to be added as a companion of a 1k even though they are on awards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.