FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1393619-consolidated-ua-757-300-seating-ife-etc-thread.html)

transportprof Dec 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Just wondering how big the spread between xCO and ATA 753's is? What makes the ATA birds so tired?

I've got a HNL-LAX flight on a 753 later this month.

I had a 753 LAX-ORD flight booked last week, but it cancelled due to aircraft maintenance. I guess that bird was too tired!

JOSECONLSCREW28 Dec 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W (Post 23976215)
No, I don't need to know in advance. I already had that page bookmarked. I just wanted to see if someone knew if what planes are used on BOS-SFO and KOA-LAX.

It's too early for an aircraft assignment but there are no dedicated 753s on those flights. They are rotated throughout the domestic system. Some days it will be the original CO 753s, others it will be the ATA hand-me-downs.

channa Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W (Post 23976148)
Flying BOS-SFO-KOA, KOA-LAX, LAX-IAH-BOS on the 18th, 24th, and 27th respectively. UA1758 BOS-SFO and UA1205 KOA-LAX are operated by 753's. How to know if they're the newer pmCO ones or the really tired ATA birds? Just asking for flight logging purposes.

Why are the ATA ones tired? They were all refurbished with the retro CO interior when they were bought from ATA.

Bulldog83 Dec 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 23976310)
Why are the ATA ones tired? They were all refurbished with the retro CO interior when they were bought from ATA.

While the oldest 753s are all ex-ATA, they were all manufactured between 2001 and 2004 - not much of a spread (and indeed some of the ex-CO 753s are older than the ex-ATA ones).

http://www.planespotters.net/Product...57-300&sort=ln

JOSECONLSCREW28 Dec 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 23976247)
Just wondering how big the spread between xCO and ATA 753's is? What makes the ATA birds so tired?

I've got a HNL-LAX flight on a 753 later this month.

I had a 753 LAX-ORD flight booked last week, but it cancelled due to aircraft maintenance. I guess that bird was too tired!

The CO 753s have the escape path lights on the side of the seats, while the ATA hand-me-downs have a continuous luminescent strip on the floor.

UATulip Dec 10, 2014 6:20 pm

Just an observation, appears as if 33A and 33F are not considered E+ seats anymore....

Kacee Dec 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 23976310)

You mean the slave ships? I hate those things. They even smell bad.

LASUA1K Dec 10, 2014 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 23977370)
You mean the slave ships? I hate those things. They even smell bad.

Nothing wrong with them. They are fantastic birds. I flew on many many MDW-XXX destinations on those bad boys. Mostly MDW-MSP. They were and are still a joy to fly.

They are better than a shiny new 739.

wto605 Dec 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by JetAirways77W (Post 23976215)
No, I don't need to know in advance. I already had that page bookmarked. I just wanted to see if someone knew if what planes are used on BOS-SFO and KOA-LAX.

I will admit I don't watch these routes specifically so I'm guessing, but I doubt there will be a consistent pattern. All 753's now have their ETOPS certifications so there's no operational difference. DTV doesn't reach all the way to HI but the WiFi on the ATA birds does (for those that have it -- 8 of 12 so far) but the 737 fleet has shown that IFE/connectivity factors don't seem to be taken into account by operations.

I will echo the sentiment that the ATA vs pmCO interiors don't seem to be any more tired than the other... personally I consider all of the pmCO cloth interiors to be getting a bit tired (especially on the 73G fleet) but maybe that's because I've been flying it since I was in middle school.

LordTentacle Dec 11, 2014 10:23 pm

had a 757-3 yesterday for morning iad->lax flight
plane got subbed last minute from a non-dtv to one with DTV
the FC seats were really nice as the base slid forward as I reclined so i got a better angle and was more easily able to sleep for 4 hours of the flight
loved the plane far more then the 737-9's i have had in the last week

LASUA1K Dec 11, 2014 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by LordTentacle (Post 23983656)
had a 757-3 yesterday for morning iad->lax flight
plane got subbed last minute from a non-dtv to one with DTV
the FC seats were really nice as the base slid forward as I reclined so i got a better angle and was more easily able to sleep for 4 hours of the flight
loved the plane far more then the 737-9's i have had in the last week

Yes the new 739's have no first class. Those are economy seats masking as first class. Can't even stick a backpack in the aisle seats.

I see nothing wrong with the 757-300 fleet. Yes they look a bit outdated due to the colors they chose, but they are comfortable aircraft.

PackingIt Feb 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Seat recommendation for OGG-SFO?

Managed to snag United First Saver Award for OGG-SFO flight for me and the wife. UA1725. Any recommendations for seats? SG shows 1A/B in green, but would love rec from someone who knows. :)

Thanks!

LASUA1K Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt (Post 24362599)
Managed to snag United First Saver Award for OGG-SFO flight for me and the wife. UA1725. Any recommendations for seats? SG shows 1A/B in green, but would love rec from someone who knows. :)

Thanks!

I always pick row 6, but that's just me. I like reclining and not worried about bothering the passenger behind me.

Problem with Row 6, you may not get your first choice in meals. I avoid row 1 on the 757, but that's just me.

PackingIt Feb 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks! For my reference, what's wrong with row 1?

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 24362678)
I always pick row 6, but that's just me. I like reclining and not worried about bothering the passenger behind me.

Problem with Row 6, you may not get your first choice in meals. I avoid row 1 on the 757, but that's just me.

Kacee Feb 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt (Post 24362710)
Thanks! For my reference, what's wrong with row 1?

It's completely a personal preference issue. Some people don't like the bulkhead because of the hard wall in front and no underseat storage.

I personally much prefer the bulkhead, particularly on the pmCO aircraft, because in the other rows the seats go back so far you wind up with the pax in front of you basically in your lap. Feels quite claustrophobic to me.

1A/1B on the 753 have a large cut-out for your feet. Those would be my seats of preference.