FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1393619-consolidated-ua-757-300-seating-ife-etc-thread.html)

danwer930 Feb 10, 13 11:30 pm

WARNING: UA 757-300 Seats 33D-F - NO DIRECTV after retrofit

I just completed a trip on UA #1043 LAX-EWR on 2/10/13. This was a last-minute change for me due to the snowstorm on the east coast. At the time of booking, I was relieved to discover that E+ exit row seats 33D-F were available, and that this appeared to be one of the few 757-300s that had actually been refitted with DirecTV. So I booked 33F.

Imagine my surprise when boarding to discover that JUST 33D-F (no other seats on the plane) have NO DIRECTV. No TV's mounted into the bulkhead (there are crew jumpseats covering 2/3 of it), and no fold-down TV's under the seat either. Just no entertainment at all. In an Economy Plus row no less! Just to rub it in, there IS a TV corresponding to 33F in the bulkhead, but it is only there to screen the safety demo - there are no in-seat controls and it does not function for the rest of the flight. Sure was fun being completely surrounded by other people enjoying their DirecTV on a 5-hour flight and not being able to watch it myself! Shame on United for not figuring out a workaround for these seats.

Between this bizarre omission, the protruding exit door, and the lack of floor stowage during takeoff/landing, I would highly recommend avoiding 33D-F on these aircraft at all costs.

LASUA1K Feb 11, 13 12:13 am

Originally Posted by danwer930 (Post 20223701)
I just completed a trip on UA #1043 LAX-EWR on 2/10/13. This was a last-minute change for me due to the snowstorm on the east coast. At the time of booking, I was relieved to discover that E+ exit row seats 33D-F were available, and that this appeared to be one of the few 757-300s that had actually been refitted with DirecTV. So I booked 33F.

Imagine my surprise when boarding to discover that JUST 33D-F (no other seats on the plane) have NO DIRECTV. No TV's mounted into the bulkhead (there are crew jumpseats covering 2/3 of it), and no fold-down TV's under the seat either. Just no entertainment at all. In an Economy Plus row no less! Just to rub it in, there IS a TV corresponding to 33F in the bulkhead, but it is only there to screen the safety demo - there are no in-seat controls and it does not function for the rest of the flight. Sure was fun being completely surrounded by other people enjoying their DirecTV on a 5-hour flight and not being able to watch it myself! Shame on United for not figuring out a workaround for these seats.

Between this bizarre omission, the protruding exit door, and the lack of floor stowage during takeoff/landing, I would highly recommend avoiding 33D-F on these aircraft at all costs.

That seems odd. Does A-C have it?

danwer930 Feb 11, 13 10:52 am

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 20223816)
That seems odd. Does A-C have it?

Yes, A-C has screens mounted on the bulkhead. The jumpseats appear to be what get in the way in D-F.

LASUA1K Feb 11, 13 11:36 am

Originally Posted by danwer930 (Post 20226093)
Yes, A-C has screens mounted on the bulkhead. The jumpseats appear to be what get in the way in D-F.

Thanks for the tip, I just moved over to that side. Thanks again.

FortFun Feb 11, 13 11:46 am

For reference, seems like it was ship #3855, N57855.

danwer930 Feb 11, 13 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K (Post 20226366)
Thanks for the tip, I just moved over to that side. Thanks again.

My pleasure - I'm hoping now that the word's out UA will do something about it.

JOSECONLSCREW28 Feb 11, 13 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by danwer930 (Post 20227978)
My pleasure - I'm hoping now that the word's out UA will do something about it.

They would have to install fold out monitors from the seats as all 753s have the double jumpseat in front of 33DEF.

SFO 1K Feb 11, 13 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 (Post 20228040)
They would have to install fold out monitors from the seats as all 753s have the double jumpseat in front of 33DEF.

Well, they better get on that right away then... seeing as the 787 and all form of sUA widebody seats in Exit and Bulkhead rows have fold out monitors.

JOSECONLSCREW28 Feb 11, 13 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K (Post 20228050)
Well, they better get on that right away then... seeing as the 787 and all form of sUA widebody seats in Exit and Bulkhead rows have fold out monitors.

I don't believe there's even an option to install DTV fold out monitors. Of all the ones I've seen at bulkhead seats have been attached to the wall in front of the pax.

SkyTeam777 Feb 16, 13 2:25 pm

In F, is it better to have bulkhead for more legroom (cutout)? or are there no "good" rows on this aircraft. Asking about LAX-OGG and OGG-LAX redeye in particular.

SFO 1K Feb 16, 13 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 (Post 20228062)
I don't believe there's even an option to install DTV fold out monitors. Of all the ones I've seen at bulkhead seats have been attached to the wall in front of the pax.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

nomorecoach Jun 9, 13 11:12 am

757-300 Which seats in First Class???

I am on a 6 hr flight domestic flight on United's 757-300 in the front. I have a choice of either 1A or the last row (6A or 6B) by the bathrooms. Which would be a better seat? Does 1A provide more leg room by having a cutout in the bulkhead? I think 1B does but not sure of 1A (I have noticed 1B having it and not 1A on a 737-900. Strange!). And does the last row recline more?

I would appreciate any input. Thank you!

IAH-OIL-TRASH Jun 9, 13 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by nomorecoach (Post 20891622)
I am on a 6 hr flight domestic flight on United's 757-300 in the front. I have a choice of either 1A or the last row (6A or 6B) by the bathrooms. Which would be a better seat? Does 1A provide more leg room by having a cutout in the bulkhead? I think 1B does but not sure of 1A (I have noticed 1B having it and not 1A on a 737-900. Strange!). And does the last row recline more?

I would appreciate any input. Thank you!

1A and B both have a huge cutout on the 753. They are larger than any othe under seat storage in the cabin. You'll also be away from the forward economy toilet sound/smell. You'll also get a better chance of getting your meal choice. Best seats in the cabin. Its also easy to get put of 1A during flight with no seat in front of you. The only minuses IMHO are the extra time to deplane thru door 2L and overhead movie screen (if so equipped) at bad angle (not a problem if a tablet provides your entertainment, like mine does....).

nomorecoach Jun 9, 13 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 20891899)
1A and B both have a huge cutout on the 753. They are larger than any othe under seat storage in the cabin. You'll also be away from the forward economy toilet sound/smell. You'll also get a better chance of getting your meal choice. Best seats in the cabin. Its also easy to get put of 1A during flight with no seat in front of you. The only minuses IMHO are the extra time to deplane thru door 2L and overhead movie screen (if so equipped) at bad angle (not a problem if a tablet provides your entertainment, like mine does....).

Thank you! I guess I'll go with 1A.

LASUA1K Jun 9, 13 2:56 pm

I prefer row 6 where I can recline and have a feeling of privacy.