FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1393619-consolidated-ua-757-300-seating-ife-etc-thread.html)

findark Apr 3, 2017 12:50 am

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 28120610)
Can someone recap the advantages of 1AB on the 753? I'm booked SFO-HNL on one of these in Dec, although it's just a placeholder in the UA schedule for now.

There is a cutout in the bulkhead which is simply enormous. It's maybe 18" tall and 18" deep, and the width of the seat. Stowage is allowed, so you get all the benefits of the bulkhead (first row, no seat in your face) with none of the drawbacks.

mike1968 Apr 28, 2017 8:18 pm

as someone who found sCO horrific, I will say 1B is decent...although not really anything special beyond a normal non-bulkhead F seat (in terms of the legroom) for a bulkhead a definite plus with the cut out and easy aisle access.

not sure if they integrated flight crews yet, but the 24 seat cabin has been abandoned after the meal service so overall a subpar experience and nothing that is going to entice back "natural market share" Mr. Kirby.

This plane also has Direct TV and the app movies don't work...although the wifi is better than the fleet with app movies...so probably depends on preference of watching movies vs Internet

The Outbound which was 100% UA as confirmed by the awesome FAs and service to match was 1000% better in overall experience.

Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way to try another 757-300 and would actually revert back to AA until some confirmed reports Mr. Kirby is upgrading F service to consistent, and expected, UA standards to win back "natural market share."

rostovru Jun 21, 2017 1:32 am

Seats 1E/F

Why do they even sell these as first?

Am I the only one who finds these seats way too tight with the bulkhead?

Not fit for someone over 6'0.

garykung Jun 21, 2017 3:17 am

F (or J in international markets) is designed for the comfortable seats.

E+ is designed for the legroom.

So I believe you chose the wrong section.

phkc070408 Jun 21, 2017 3:19 am

I presume that you're referring to a narrow-body plane. I do admit that I try to avoid row one in narrow body planes because of this issue. I know that some aircraft have indents in the floor on the bulkhead rows for foot room. Maybe someone who does a lot of domestic flying could help out with which aircraft have these indents.

And Why do they sell them as First? Because they are still better than coach.

mahasamatman Jun 21, 2017 7:41 am

Originally Posted by rostovru (Post 28468697)
Not fit for someone over 6'0.

Airlines and manufacturers do not design cabins for the minority.

James603 Jun 21, 2017 7:51 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408 (Post 28468866)
I presume that you're referring to a narrow-body plane. I do admit that I try to avoid row one in narrow body planes because of this issue. I know that some aircraft have indents in the floor on the bulkhead rows for foot room. Maybe someone who does a lot of domestic flying could help out with which aircraft have these indents.

Only one I know of is the B757 on the left side (1A/B) only.

SkiAdcock Jun 21, 2017 8:04 am

You (generic you) can check out which ones have idents on seatguru. It also shows 1 E/F as yellow due to restricted legroom.

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un...nformation.php

Cheers.

Syzygies Jun 21, 2017 8:13 am

On 757 ps planes, 1 E/F have better seat wells than the rest of first.

It is impossible to discuss this without specifying equipment. One person should have asked the OP to specify the equipment, and the rest of us should have waited.

Tblack15 Jun 21, 2017 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 28469568)
Airlines and manufacturers do not design cabins for the minority.

Tall people are the most discriminated people in the world apparently.:D

findark Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm

1AB on the 753 have a cutout so large that you can stow bags in it, in addition to your feet.

1AB on the 73G have a tiny cutout which is perhaps a few inches deep and a foot tall.

Other than that, distance to the bulkhead varies between equipment and config, and it is a very YMMY situation. Typically the distance to the bulkhead is at least several inches more than the distance to the seat in front of you if you were in row 2, but the legroom restriction comes from the fact that you can't stretch out under the next seat. In essence, you get substantially more room at head and shoulder level and climbing out is easier, at the cost of leg-stretching room. The worst Row 1 horror stories I've heard come from the 319, but I think they did another reconfig and moved F back a few inches.

IME row 1 is fine, but I like to slouch so I appreciate the next-seat room and would pick another row instead (except row 5 on the 739, yuck). 1AB on the 753 are an exception and are the best standard recliners in the UA fleet.

Kacee Jun 21, 2017 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 28470602)
The worst Row 1 horror stories I've heard come from the 319, but I think they did another reconfig and moved F back a few inches.

Yes, they fixed it on the 319s. But the non-reconfigured 320s are still very tight in 1E/F. It's uncomfortable even if you're not tall.

1P Jun 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Nothing beats not having someone reclining their seat into your lap, or making it impossible to put your tray table away, IMO. Going for 1A/B whenever you can is the way to go. That way, if there's an indent, you'll get it.

airline101 Jun 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Anytime at the front of the plane I choose 2A/B. 1 because it has more legroom than the first row and 2 because your still at the front of first that you'll most likely get your choice of food option before the people in the back. I hate if Im seated in the last row or 3E/F since food options may be limited. But thats my first world problems.

sinoflyer Jun 21, 2017 4:03 pm

I'm a non-recliner on daytime (5a-11p, non-redeye) domestic flights, and I appreciate having no one recline onto my lap. I also like to take pictures/videos out the window without being trapped by the seatmate on the aisle, so my preference is always for 1A/1F. Clearly it's YMMV, and that's the point.