Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fall/Winter 2012 MileagePlus Bonus PQM/EQM Offer [Targeted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall/Winter 2012 MileagePlus Bonus PQM/EQM Offer [Targeted]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: UA, 1K
I did get it, but so?..still not booking UA

three-1K family: me sitting at 110K right now--> got the promotion.
wife: 80K (with another 10K already booked) --> not eligible
son: 85K (with another 5K booked) --> not eligible.

It is still pointless. Last week I booked $7K worth of travel on OAL when expert mode was removed. I don't have the time or inclination to hunt for R space by playing games with award search, combined with EF to guess upgrade probability when R < number of pax. Sad thing is that I have 3 SWU expiring on 12/31 and I rather let them expire than play multiple games: look for the hidden R + guess the bucket load+ W roulette. As someone else put it very eloquently, games should be played on the IFE, not with the booking engines.

I would not have booked these $7K in UA, even the promotion.

Safe travels to all
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by 76Patriots
I did receive the offer.
Over the last 4 years my travel volume with UA has been pretty consistent. About 110k to 120k flown per year with about 40 out of 52 weeks with a purchased flight. However, I have been flying VX more lately and my UA volume in the last 3 to 4 months has been the lowest it has been in that 4 year span. Hence I assume -- and it is only an assumption -- I am targeted because the system flagged my abnormally lagging activity.

This is not out of the ordinary though. I stay at Hilton far more than my coworker. My Hilton volume is consistent where my coworker can all of a sudden not have any activity for weeks on end. Hilton targeted him several times with promos that I did not receive (though we are both Diamond). I assume Hilton was simply flagging his lack of activity and targeting him for increased business. Again I suspect this is an SOP business practice....
Same profile as you. No offer.

There seems to be no pattern. Maybe they randomly selected a group to measure behavior and quantify cost/benefit?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 15, 2012 at 9:15 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Maybe there is a geographic element to this as well or at least some discrimination against those of us who are hub captives?
Mr. frff (also multi year 1K) did not receive the offer, while I did.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
1K MM sitting at 25K PQMs. 1K for last 6-7 years straight, with spend upward of $50K last year including 4-5 full fare international C trips. My travel is down this year so I would have found it hard to even make platinum. Still, with the downgrades and operational chaos post 3/3, I have moved my business to a combo of AS/AA, and nearly all full fare or F. I am a perfect on paper target for this promo, which I received.

And this promo does nothing to entice me to come back whatsoever. Why would I want to spend that kind of money and effort on a half-arsed (50%? Come on!) PQM offer for the joy of receiving additional benefits that don't matter, wondering whether my flight will be canceled or delayed, getting screwed by horrible irrops processing when it does, and generally flying on an airline where passengers and employees alike seem to hate the entire experience? Yeah, sure. Sign me up!

I'll be honest - I feel the only way UA could win me back at this point is to A) get their you know what together with ops so I can depend on them for the most part; and B) gift me 1K next year as a sort of mea culpa, this year we really screwed up, please come back. The rest of this year is lost.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
1K currently at 70K with only 15K more planned. I didn't get the offer but I could use it...I probably would have booked an extra flight or two had I gotten it.

I think it is BS to broadly offer a PQM promotion to some but not all M+ members.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Maybe "The Great Offer" will make a return?

This isn't the end, it's only the beginning of whatever United will need to do. Wonder if something akin to "The Great Offer" of years back, where you could fax in your other programs in exchange for PQMs, is going to make a return? Good way for United to do some market research on where their customers have gone.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
This isn't the end, it's only the beginning of whatever United will need to do. Wonder if something akin to "The Great Offer" of years back, where you could fax in your other programs in exchange for PQMs, is going to make a return? Good way for United to do some market research on where their customers have gone.
With Smisek in charge? Not a chance in hell and until Pigs "with mutating cow tails" fly.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I wish.

SMI/J and Co. think in their own hub box. They truly believe that you have no choice because they own the best network.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
Received this yesterday while flying the segment that put me over 100k. Not much use to me at this point. There is no registration cost is there? If not, looks like serious dilution potential for 2013...
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:25 am

I think this is just evidence of UA's greater incorporation of Data Mining / Analytics / CRM in their pricing and offer strategies. Customer Segmentation at work...

Another data point is Elite Maximizer - I was getting offered .075 / PQM until I crossed 50,000 miles, now I am offered .085 / PQM.

This is 5 years old, but still interesting / pertinent.

PDF warning!

http://www.wseas.us/e-library/confer...rs/554-165.pdf

"Data mining goals
Our goal is to develop models that generate passenger
revenue value, based on the booking history. We use
customer transaction data to track buying behavior
and create strategic business initiatives. Business can
use these data to divide customers into clusters.
These clusters highlight marketing opportunities such
as cross-selling (selling new products) and up-selling
(selling more of what customers currently buy)."
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
What if Amazon ran the data-mining/IT department?

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I think this is just evidence of UA's greater incorporation of Data Mining / Analytics / CRM in their pricing and offer strategies. Customer Segmentation at work...

Another data point is Elite Maximizer - I was getting offered .075 / PQM until I crossed 50,000 miles, now I am offered .085 / PQM.

PDF warning!

"Data mining goals
There's a certain irony that we give so much credit to United for having the marketing savvy and IT expertise to pull off a targeted offer like this but...

...United still can't send me targeted offers involving my home airport, nor places that I might like to fly to, based on past history. That's the low-lying fruit. Can you imagine if Amazon.com ran the data-mining operation at United?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by goalie
And I'll see your 40k eqm's, not flown since June and no e-mail and raise it to my 68k eqms, not flown since May and no e-mail (tho I do have flights booked for the September and October to re-qualify for 1k for 2013 so maybe that's why no e-mail? [or perhaps as others have mentioned, batch processing])
We have eerily similar travel patterns this year. The main exception being I was targetting with the offer. With no more planned trips on UA I don't expect to gain any benefit, though registration has already been accomplished.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

PDF warning!

"Data mining goals
My take on this is that it is a United effort to win back FT customers. FT customers are a) more likely than a non-FT customer to subscribe to United e-mails, b) more likely than a non-FT customer who subscribes to United e-mails to read those e-mails, c) more likely than a non-FT customer who suscribes to and reads United e-mails to understand those e-mails, d) more likely than a non-FT customer to change their travel patterns based on the offer.

As for how United is choosing who to target, based on the posts here it seems a bit random. When United institutes a change that has negative impacts on customers beyond the first order I give them the benefit of the doubt that they just don't know how to analyze and predict those impacts i.e. they aren't being malicious. In this instance I think they are trying to accomplish the result of winning back customers but don't have much of a clue of which customers they are trying to win back and how to target them.

I have no idea if I was targeted for this or not since the beginning of the year I stopped reading any emails from United that didn't come from an e-mail address of an individual working at United
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:07 pm

There's a certain irony that we give so much credit to United for having the marketing savvy and IT expertise to pull off a targeted offer like this but...

...United still can't send me targeted offers involving my home airport, nor places that I might like to fly to, based on past history. That's the low-lying fruit. Can you imagine if Amazon.com ran the data-mining operation at United?
I have not received a single relevant offer from UA in as long as I can remember. Since $mi$ek took over, I get nothing but junk. Almost every day, offers to buy useless crap from useless partners, totally irrelevant to my relationship with UA as a flyer.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I have not received a single relevant offer from UA in as long as I can remember. Since $mi$ek took over, I get nothing but junk. Almost every day, offers to buy useless crap from useless partners, totally irrelevant to my relationship with UA as a flyer.
+100

I receive daily junk emails from COdbaUA offering hotels, cars, credit cards, merchandise, flight surveys (I'm sure that would seriously read if I reply) and, 787 announcement.

But not a single offer that is relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.