Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fall/Winter 2012 MileagePlus Bonus PQM/EQM Offer [Targeted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fall/Winter 2012 MileagePlus Bonus PQM/EQM Offer [Targeted]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
I was targeted for the offer, but have a few questions.

Of course, I registered. But, I am not sure if I am going to have any eligible flights. I tend to book one-way tickets. The promo reads that double PGMs would be earned on "round-trip" flights, but the terms and conditions don't mention anything specifically about round-trip being mandatory - just "paid qualifying trips," and then goes on to describe qualifying by fare class. Any ideas as to whether one-way flights will earn the double PQMs?

The terms and conditions also read: "Offer is not valid on United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers." Is it safe to believe that they mean code share flights with Lufthansa or USAirways in this regard, and not RJ flights labeled as Express, but which are technically code share flights with one of the regional carriers?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stevekoe
.... The terms and conditions also read: "Offer is not valid on United-marketed code-share flights operated by other carriers." Is it safe to believe that they mean code share flights with Lufthansa or USAirways in this regard, and not RJ flights labeled as Express, but which are technically code share flights with one of the regional carriers?
you are correct about LH/US/ ... & other *A carriers. The regionals are not considered codeshares.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Got the offer, already have 125k flown. Had i booked a GRU-US trip with this i would have hit 150k and the 2 GPUs. Big bummer, because I don't know how else I will get there. But honestly don't know why I got this unless they figured out the above...
This is what I don't understand. What exactly is their targeting mechanism? Why would they offer someone with 125K but not a person who clearly would need it to reach back to a current status level?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I haven't gotten any email yet. But I'm currently doing a Gold challenge. In fact, I'm on a mileage run right now to/from HNL. They way I understand this challenge offer is that since I will hit the 17.5K pqm threashold after July 1st, I will have Premier Gold status through January 2014. So this targetted offer probably would be less beneficial to me than the challenge thing. Unless I wanted to achieve Platinum or 1K status, I suppose.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by elonepb
This is what I don't understand. What exactly is their targeting mechanism? Why would they offer someone with 125K but not a person who clearly would need it to reach back to a current status level?
I'm a 1k with only 19,000 PQM this year as I moved to AA

They didn't target me with an email!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Five Star
I did receive the offer.
Over the last 4 years my travel volume with UA has been pretty consistent. About 110k to 120k flown per year with about 40 out of 52 weeks with a purchased flight. However, I have been flying VX more lately and my UA volume in the last 3 to 4 months has been the lowest it has been in that 4 year span. Hence I assume -- and it is only an assumption -- I am targeted because the system flagged my abnormally lagging activity.

This is not out of the ordinary though. I stay at Hilton far more than my coworker. My Hilton volume is consistent where my coworker can all of a sudden not have any activity for weeks on end. Hilton targeted him several times with promos that I did not receive (though we are both Diamond). I assume Hilton was simply flagging his lack of activity and targeting him for increased business. Again I suspect this is an SOP business practice....
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Earn 50% Bonus Premier Qualifying Miles (EQMs) [Targeted]

Ever since I bought a "B" ticket to London in February on a flight that had one business class seat taken at the time of booking, applied a systemwide upgrade, and sat in coach when it didn't clear, I have directed 90% of my travel away from United.

So what did I receive a couple of days ago?

A targeted e-mail stating, "We noticed you haven’t been flying with us as much lately, so we’re giving you this exclusive opportunity to earn bonus Premier qualifying miles toward your status for next year."

Earn 50% bonus PQM when you purchase United premium cabin or full-fare economy tickets.

Earn an additional 50% bonus PQM when you purchase United First®, United Global FirstSM, United Business®, BusinessFirst® or full-fare United Economy® tickets. Add that to the 50% bonus PQM you already earn when you purchase these classes of service and you have a 100% PQM bonus.

Earn 50% bonus PQM on select discounted United Economy fares.

With this exclusive offer, you can earn a 50% PQM bonus when you travel on discounted United Economy tickets.

Register today and earn up to double PQM. Book and travel now through December 7, 2012.
Yeah, fat chance. I hope your business model works well, United, when your planes are full of nothing but leisure travelers who only choose their carrier based on the lowest fare.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Well, I wasn't targeted so I guess there is no reason to rethink my "No International Travel on UA" policy. Pretty stupid on UA's part as I'm set for 1K as it is for next year mostly on cheap Dom fares this year (w 3 full C Int flights before April). Obviously UA can see my revenue has gone way down but not dried up. If I was targeted I might take a full C/D Europe trip to get to the next threshold. Oh well
Old Sep 15, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I was targeted for this too. It seems pretty stingy when you compare it to AA's double PQM offer that we saw last year.

Just like AA probably intended that promotion to keep frequent flyers around through the bankruptcy, maybe UA is actually hurting from the post 3/3 calamities. It would be an interesting data set to see.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:40 am

1k with about 35k miles flown so far this year, did not receive the email and did not qualify to register. I might try to make it to 50k by year's end and this promo may have nudged me a little. Congratulations to those who got the offer.

I've been very happy with my move to AA earlier this year and will try life as lower tier on UA next year on the (probably few) occasions I'll be traveling with them. Let's see how things will play out after that.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
1K ~1.5K miles short of requal and no offer for me. Not that I need it but it could push me to go for 150K, especially since I actually have another 15K that I am waiting to credit to my MP account. I guess I'll keep flying AA.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
I'm confused- are people sitting at 90K with 3.5 mos left to travel actually pissed they weren't targeted for this promo?
seems like it.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elonepb
Because a bulk of the PQM (or EQMs) earnings has to deal with High fares. If you are sitting at 125K EQMs chances are you got there by this time of year flying FJDYBH fares and NOT.....STLK fares. Thus, UA has no incentive to entice you to continue flying. What they want is low level FF biting on the promo and flying expensive fares in hopes of reaching Gold or 1K or gasp....................GS!!!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by halls120
LOL, I've flown 4 flights over the past 2 weeks, and I got the same "Dear Halls120, we noticed you haven't flown much lately." Oh, and I'm booked for another R/T next weekend, and a R/T in November.

My guess is that all 1Ks got the same e-mail.

I consider this a good sign, however, that they recognize that some FFs have gone elsewhere, and are doing something to keep us happy.
I'm 1K and didn't get this.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Maybe there is a geographic element to this as well or at least some discrimination against those of us who are hub captives?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.