Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:02 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, United 1K,
A supervisor in Chicago was able to get my Singapore first class ticket reinstated. She called my twice today to give me updates. It took her more than 2.5 hour and several layers of escalation to get it done.

I really appreciate Melody's tenacity in getting it fixed as well as her communication throughout the day.

United may have a lot of process problems and (perhaps unacknowledged) management problems, but I have always found their phone and lounge CSRs to do a great job and exhibit strong customer focus.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by DAS02135
A supervisor in Chicago was able to get my Singapore first class ticket reinstated. She called my twice today to give me updates. It took her more than 2.5 hour and several layers of escalation to get it done.

I really appreciate Melody's tenacity in getting it fixed as well as her communication throughout the day.

United may have a lot of process problems and (perhaps unacknowledged) management problems, but I have always found their phone and lounge CSRs to do a great job and exhibit strong customer focus.
Just for your (and other's) future reference so it doesn't happen again (a friend of mine also had the same problems as you with SQ not honouring a ticket booked through USDM)... as soon as you make an award booking you need to call the airline carrying you - not the airline who issued your ticket - and ask for a seat assignment and at the same time ask 'do you have a ticket number against this booking?'

Without a ticket number there may be a booking, but it is not paid for. As far as the airline is concerned, if it is not paid for they can cancel it and sell it to someone else. It is always best to do this within 24 hours.

The difference between booking and ticketing? you can make a booking and get a PNR. The PNR will live until the date the flight is due to leave. It is a record that a booking was made - but it doesn't mean that the booking has been paid for. Much the same as if you make a booking and put it on hold... you have a reservation reference - but nothing will happen until you pay for it. If you ring a week later they can still bring up that booking - but the seats may show as cancelled.

Glad it got sorted out so quickly. With my friend it was eventually reinstated - but it took 3 weeks!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DAS02135
On the 9th, a different United rep got me seat assignments for all flight legs for this trip, and she confirmed everything was good to go with my reservation.
Glad you got this all sorted out, but your statement above would have been my first sign that something was amiss. It has been documented many times both in this thread and elsewhere that UA is unable to assign seats on other airlines (like SQ and LH). If they claimed they were able to assign seats I would feel that everything they said was suspect.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:02 am

What are J and F seats? Does SQ release all X seats on the 744 and A380's???

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
With very few exceptions, SQ does not make J or F award seats available to *A partners on routes operated by the A345, 77W, or A380...so you will not find any seats to or from NA.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 1:36 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
What are J and F seats? ...
F means First Class, J or C refers to Business Class
Old Sep 11, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
What are J and F seats? Does SQ release all X seats on the 744 and A380's???
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
F means First Class, J or C refers to Business Class
And SQ no longer flies any 744s
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:44 am

But I can fly X fares on the Singapore A380 or 777 right?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
But I can fly X fares on the Singapore A380 or 777 right?
yes you can. Economy X class is widely available on all SQ flights and you are free to book it.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
In July I booked JFK-LAX-NRT. My booking was obviously for a J award and that is how many miles I paid, but J was not available at that time from JFK-LAX. Today, I see that UA has opened up some space on my JFK-LAX flight. Do I have to pay a change fee to get my first segment switched to J? Also, I am 110% mortified of getting some completely incompetent agent who in the process of changing Y to J messes up my SQ flight. Can this change be done online? If not, is it worth calling in and praying the agent doesn't mess anything up?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by merc1234
In July I booked JFK-LAX-NRT. My booking was obviously for a J award and that is how many miles I paid, but J was not available at that time from JFK-LAX. Today, I see that UA has opened up some space on my JFK-LAX flight. Do I have to pay a change fee to get my first segment switched to J? Also, I am 110% mortified of getting some completely incompetent agent who in the process of changing Y to J messes up my SQ flight. Can this change be done online? If not, is it worth calling in and praying the agent doesn't mess anything up?
I dont think you can change it online, and depending on your UA status there probably will be a fee involved though not much. I would call UA, but ask where the agent is located. If its tampa or honolulu, they tend to be UA's best skilled agents and should be ok to help. just explain what you are trying to do ahead of time so they understand what you are trying to accomplish and confirm that they are protecting your J on LAX NRT
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:32 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
In July I had booked the EWR-SIN nonstop in J, today I noticed my itin changed to JFK-SIN (with the stop in FRA). Not sure why as the EWR-SIN still appears to be flying that day. I was looking forward to taking EWR-SIN so I was going to call to question it, but figured it's probably not worth it. Just a heads up for others out there...
Old Sep 13, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
In July I had booked the EWR-SIN nonstop in J, today I noticed my itin changed to JFK-SIN (with the stop in FRA). Not sure why as the EWR-SIN still appears to be flying that day. I was looking forward to taking EWR-SIN so I was going to call to question it, but figured it's probably not worth it. Just a heads up for others out there...
IMHO it is very worth a call to ask about it and also to insist that you do not accept the change which you did not ask for.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
IMHO it is very worth a call to ask about it and also to insist that you do not accept the change which you did not ask for.
Thanks, I can give it a shot. Assume I should call UA and now SQ right?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 8:31 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by peteropny
On the topic of this thread. I have tickets for 2 passengers next month on SQ F using UA miles in the same record. It is a possibility now that I'll be the only one traveling. Is it possible (and the best way to do the change) to cancel and redeposit one ticket and leave the other one standing. I'm wondering if it could be done "directly" or should I request that UA split the confirmation and then just cancel the one that is not traveling? TIA!!!
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Sure, just call UA, ask them to split the records, then you can cancel one. You'll have to likely request this over the phone, because when you split a record and try to refund one online, the system will try to refund miles for both tickets, but somehow catches its mistake somewhere in the process and errors out.
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good advice above from Matthew, but UA's reservation system is kind of glitchy since the merger and not all CSRs handle it well. So as with any UA reservation change these days, it's best to:

1. Get a sense, if you can, of whether the CSR knows what s/he's doing. I know that this can be a pretty subjective judgment. But if the CSR seems ignorant or unhelpful when you first ask about doing this, politely end the call and try someone else.
2. Once the CSR has made the change, keep him/her on the line while you check to make sure that the change is showing up online in your reservations list at the UA site, and that if possible you receive an email from UA indicating the change.

Also, with respect to this particular change:

1. Call SQ afterwards to make sure everything is in order from their end. E.g.., that your reservation is properly ticketed, it's just one person instead of two, etc.
2. If your F is on an SQ 380, be aware that the SQ code for that (R) is a business class code for UA. This confuses some UA CSRs. So you might have to explain this to whomever you talk to and/or make sure that in splitting the reservation the SQ R is preserved.

I'm probably making this more complicated than it sounds. But there have been enough reports of UA messing up reservations, particularly award reservations involving other carriers, that it's best to err on the side of caution...or should I say paranoia?
Ok - so I tried to cancel one ticket tonight - spoke with a CSR in HNL. She said that if she tried to split the record, the entire reservation would be cancelled. So she advised to leave the reservation and "refund" the unused ticket after the flights have been flown by me (the one who is going).

While this doesn't sound right - she sounded confident of it - and from reports in the past the HNL CSRs seem to be the best in the system.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by peteropny
Ok - so I tried to cancel one ticket tonight - spoke with a CSR in HNL. She said that if she tried to split the record, the entire reservation would be cancelled. So she advised to leave the reservation and "refund" the unused ticket after the flights have been flown by me (the one who is going).

While this doesn't sound right - she sounded confident of it - and from reports in the past the HNL CSRs seem to be the best in the system.
Did you not try hanging up and calling again? Honestly, when I've had more complex issues, I've had better luck with the PMCO phone agents as they generally know the rules of COdbaUA.

Splitting a PNR should not cancel it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.