Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Dumped From SQ F?

As others have done, I booked award travel on SQ, outbound SQ1 in business and return on SQ2 in first on 13Jan2013. I've just received an email from UA regarding a "reservation change." SQ2 is now booked in business. Of course, my previous itinerary had been ticketed and I had obtained seat assignments from SQ.

Anyone else?

Marc
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Tunapalooza
As others have done, I booked award travel on SQ, outbound SQ1 in business and return on SQ2 in first on 13Jan2013. I've just received an email from UA regarding a "reservation change." SQ2 is now booked in business. Of course, my previous itinerary had been ticketed and I had obtained seat assignments from SQ.

Anyone else?

Marc
If it says "R" class you are not in Business regardless of what the UA website says. You are in "Suites." Earlier posts on this thread will explain this to you in detail.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: UA - 1K, SPG - Plat., HHonors - Silver
Originally Posted by gba
On a similar note, has anyone made changes (such as adding a connection) to a reservation that had an "R" segment. Will United get confused during re-ticketing and try to treat it as a business class ticket?
This is also a great question. All of these variables makes me question whether I should just leave my reservation as-is. While other posters have made it sound like this should all be able to be done, it likely will only take one mistake (whether unintentional or otherwise) on the agents end to mess everything up, and then poof!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:09 am

Funny story (or maybe not so funny), I called UA to get my SQ PNR. Then, I went to enter the SQ PNR in the SQ website, but it didn't work. Tried the SQ mobile site, still didn't work. So, I called SQ. The UA agent gave me the wrong PNR because she mistook a "U" for a "V". UA agent clearly stated "V" as in "Victor", but when I talked to the SQ agent it was "U" for united.

Then, I go back to SQ site to see my booking. Still doesn't work! Then I look back at the UA website and realize they merge my last name "Smith" with my suffix "Jr". So my last name is Smithjr. So, back to the SQ website and finally success using a last name of Smithjr. What a pain!!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by kekurutz
This is also a great question. All of these variables makes me question whether I should just leave my reservation as-is. While other posters have made it sound like this should all be able to be done, it likely will only take one mistake (whether unintentional or otherwise) on the agents end to mess everything up, and then poof!
I would leave it alone as I doubt that the UA agents know that "R"="Suites." In fact, I doubt that most even know what Suite Class is. So yes, you run the risk that they will try to "fix" things for you by putting you in Biz class (or worse, finding no SQ Biz availability and moving you to UA Biz). Even bigger nightmare, the IT crew will try to "fix" everyone's "R" bookings.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JetAway
...Even bigger nightmare, the IT crew will try to "fix" everyone's "R" bookings.

Now, that's a change we wouldn't like!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
What's the best practice for schedule changes when partner award availability isn't there any more? We now see two problems.

(1) We booked something like
10/9 LHR-XXX (not SQ)
10/9 XXX-SIN (SQ)
10/10 SIN-NRT (SQ)

After a schedule change, the XXX-SIN is no longer offered and we've been automatically rebooked in First (O) on the 10/8 XXX-SIN -- which is an impossible connection because the first coupon on our itinerary leaves a day later.

Can we call SQ and ask them to reaccommodate us on connections that work better? Or do we have to just suck it up and call UA to get them to change the first segment (which is not on SQ)?

(2) Separately, we booked something like
10/16 LHR-XXX
10/17 XXX-SIN

After a schedule change, the XXX-SIN now leaves at 0900 instead of 1700 … and according to united.com we are now in class X (Economy)?! … and the flight's availability is zeroed out in GDSes (unavailable for sale on matrix.itasoftware.com unless you un-tick "search for available flights", but for sale on singaporeair.com)?!

If we call UA, will they fix this? Or should we start with SQ?
First of all, I hope someone replies who knows more about such situations than I do...

But my best guess is that you should try SQ first, simply because you are more likely to reach a competent CSR there who understands their schedule and booking codes better than one you might reach at UA, and who might be able to find something on SQ flights if that's at all possible. And if that doesn't work, try UA.

But again, I hope someone else can offer more than a guess.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Wife just received the following text from SQ:

SQFltInfo - SQ001 SFO-HKG xx Jan 2013 departing 0005 hours has been rescheduled to SQ001 SFO-HKG xx Jan 2013 departing 2250 hours. We will be calling you soon to confirm the flight and to rebook your connections. If you wish to speak to us earlier, please call the local SIA office. Thank you and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.
We are arriving from YYC at 21:07 via united to Terminal 3. Originally SQ1 left at 00:05, now it's leaving at 22:50. I think we have to be at the gate 40 mins before takeoff so that gives us an hour and 3 mins. to get from T3 to the international terminal. Are there regs. specifying a minimum time that is more than this? I don't recall it taking us long in the past. If there are, we will have to change to the earlier YYC flight that arrives in SFO at 15:21 and slum it in the F lounges.

Since we booked this through Aeroplan I doubt that SQ can do anything about changing flights?

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by RoninTech

We are arriving from YYC at 21:07 via united to Terminal 3. Originally SQ1 left at 00:05, now it's leaving at 22:50. I think we have to be at the gate 40 mins before takeoff so that gives us an hour and 3 mins. to get from T3 to the international terminal. Are there regs. specifying a minimum time that is more than this? I don't recall it taking us long in the past. If there are, we will have to change to the earlier YYC flight that arrives in SFO at 15:21 and slum it in the F lounges.

Since we booked this through Aeroplan I doubt that SQ can do anything about changing flights?

Thanks!
Usually they'll let you switch to the 1521 arrival for free, but YMMV

My personal rule of thumb is min 1:15 for domestic connections and 2:00 for international ones. 2:30 if it involves a change of terminal outside of security.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks!
Even though a 1:43 minute connection is probably "legal", that is too risky, IMO.
I would absolutely change your inbound even if you have to pay a change fee. The stars have to align for you to comfortably make that flight. We're talking SFO here and even if the weather cooperates, you're assuming that your YYC-SFO plane will have had a flawless on time operational day. You want to relax and enjoy the entire experience. Change the inbound flight.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC

Thanks!
I think technically you are OK in terms of MCT.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.3/Diamond - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: SFO]
Code:
                                         ** EXCEPTIONS EXIST ** 
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         SFO                          050 060 105 105  
**END OF DISPLAY**
There are no UA-SQ exceptions to the standard MCT. And I assume that you will pre-clear US customs/immigration in YYC, so it is considered a Domestic-International (DI) connection which requires 60 minutes.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Even though a 1:43 minute connection is probably "legal", that is too risky, IMO.
I would absolutely change your inbound even if you have to pay a change fee. The stars have to align for you to comfortably make that flight. We're talking SFO here and even if the weather cooperates, you're assuming that your YYC-SFO plane will have had a flawless on time operational day. You want to relax and enjoy the entire experience. Change the inbound flight.
+1

If you end up with a lot of time in SF and it's a nice day, there is an easy BART (public transit) connection into town. Not sure where you'd park any bags, but I assume there's a place at SFO.

The UA F lounge in the international terminal is pretty nice (at least by UA standards ). I would think you'd have access to it traveling on an F *A ticket, but you might want to confirm that. (Outside chance that SQ and UA don't reciprocate in this regard; I've seen reports about UA passengers having trouble accessing the SQ lounge, which is pretty small.)

More generally, if you have to kill time in SFO it's a fairly pleasant airport with some decent eating options.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Then I wonder what the SQ SMS is about if the timing is ok??
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The UA F lounge in the international terminal is pretty nice (at least by UA standards ). I would think you'd have access to it traveling on an F *A ticket, but you might want to confirm that. (Outside chance that SQ and UA don't reciprocate in this regard) I've seen reports about UA passengers having trouble accessing the SQ lounge, which is pretty small.
With an SQ Suites ticket, pretty sure OP will be able to use the SQ Lounge.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then I wonder what the SQ SMS is about if the timing is ok??
Oh, I think this is just an automatic message that goes out if there are any changes. I received this even though the change doesn't affect our other flights at all, as we'll be originating in SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.