Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nick5000
Anybody tried to change dates of a F booked flight? Would UA consider asking SQ about to release a seat on a different date?
Originally Posted by dsquared37
My afternoon cocktails almost got spit out with laughter.

You booked during a windfall where SQ didn't have their infamous award blocking in place, and you want to ask them to release a different date?

You either fly that day in F or another day in Y (or maybe C).
+1 (minus the cocktail-spitting). I'd very much doubt that SQ would make such a change.

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Has anyone attempted/had luck in changing UA flights within SQ F in an itinerary? I originally booked GRR-IAH-SIN, but want to change GRR-IAH and shorten a 9 hour layover to 5. advisable?
Not exactly on point to your question, but I had no problem having UA change the onward TG legs of a trip that started with SQ HKG-SFO (on SQ 1 in February).

The slight risk you run is the usual one (these days) of running into an incompetent UA CSR or a CSR otherwise flumoxed by UA's IT systems. So try to first assure if the CSR is minimally competent by simply asking him/her to check whether the flight you want to change to is available for award travel. If the CSR sounds ok, proceed. (If not, do the usual thing of politely ending the call and trying again.) Then after making the change, stay on the line with the CSR to see whether the changed itinerary comes through via email and appears when you refresh your reservations page. (Both should happen almost instantly.) Then double check with SQ to make sure everything still looks good from their end.

Paranoid, I know, but you really can't be too careful with UA these days.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Has anyone attempted/had luck in changing UA flights within SQ F in an itinerary? I originally booked GRR-IAH-SIN, but want to change GRR-IAH and shorten a 9 hour layover to 5. advisable?
Made multiple changes to an itin with SQ segs booked during the 'bonanza'. No issues whatsoever with the SQ flights, flew the itin last month.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
One slight issue that arose for me but was fixed:
Flying SQ SIN-HKG-SFO in F, connecting in SFO back home to NY.
Originally, no saver seats were available in F on the three-class SFO-JFK (ps) flight, so I was put in first on the 2-cabin SFO-EWR.
I saw saver award space opened in F on SFO-JFK, and called, and she told me I only had a business class ticket so could not switch to a first class flight. I explained that I had paid the 70k redemption rate, so it was a first class ticket and should work fine. She argued with me for a while, put me on hold for 20 minutes, and told me I was right, and she had been confused by the "R" class on my SQ flight.
(And yes I know the ps flight will likely lose 3-cabin before I fly, but it will have flatbeds up front as opposed to regular domestic first on pm-CO SFO-EWR)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad

Not exactly on point to your question, but I had no problem having UA change the onward TG legs of a trip that started with SQ HKG-SFO (on SQ 1 in February).

The slight risk you run is the usual one (these days) of running into an incompetent UA CSR or a CSR otherwise flumoxed by UA's IT systems. So try to first assure if the CSR is minimally competent by simply asking him/her to check whether the flight you want to change to is available for award travel. If the CSR sounds ok, proceed. (If not, do the usual thing of politely ending the call and trying again.) Then after making the change, stay on the line with the CSR to see whether the changed itinerary comes through via email and appears when you refresh your reservations page. (Both should happen almost instantly.) Then double check with SQ to make sure everything still looks good from their end.

Paranoid, I know, but you really can't be too careful with UA these days.
I can only hope to reach the HNL based service center!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 5:33 pm

OK, seemed to have navigated the gauntlet successfully. Instead of a 6a departure from GRR and a 9 hour lay over (flying an ERJ no less), I can now sleep in and catch a 10:30 to CLE and an F seat from CLE to IAH, getting there a 2:30p. much much better and all the emails confirm they didnt screw up the SQ flight. Thanks to the Tampa center....Original UA peeps!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Strange Inconsistencies

I got an F award ticket in late October on SQ1/2. I received an email from UA saying there was a change. Instead of leaving around 1am, it now leaves around 11:30pm (previous day).

I checked my reservation on UA and that's what it shows. I checked the reservation on SQ website and that is what it shows. I then decided to change my seats and that's fine, too.

The strange thing is that SQ's mobile app on my Android phone still shows the old (original) times, while the iOS SQ mobile app on my Ipod show the updated departure time and seat assignments. Both apps are up-to-date. I'd read that it's not uncommon for the mobile app to not be the same as the web site, but I had never heard of the same app giving different info depending on what platform the app is installed on.

Any ideas why the 2 apps don't agree?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by petalumajim
I got an F award ticket in late October on SQ1/2. I received an email from UA saying there was a change. Instead of leaving around 1am, it now leaves around 11:30pm (previous day).

I checked my reservation on UA and that's what it shows. I checked the reservation on SQ website and that is what it shows. I then decided to change my seats and that's fine, too.

The strange thing is that SQ's mobile app on my Android phone still shows the old (original) times, while the iOS SQ mobile app on my Ipod show the updated departure time and seat assignments. Both apps are up-to-date. I'd read that it's not uncommon for the mobile app to not be the same as the web site, but I had never heard of the same app giving different info depending on what platform the app is installed on.

Guessing this has something to do with time changes with Daylight Savings either here or in Singapore.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
No, that's not it. The Android SQ app apparently is not the same as the iOS SQ app. The reservation details are not the same between the two.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by petalumajim

This happened to me too and I just noticed a different change. My time are corrected on the mobile site, when I log into singapore.com site it says these tickets are issued by another airline and we can't access them (yes, i am using the SQ locator that works on the mobile site) But the bigger issue that concerns me is that now United reservation web site shows them as R business bookings, but I booked FC. Mobile site still shows my FC seat assignments. This is screwed up? Should I ignore or cal SQ and/or United? I hate to call attention...
Old Aug 18, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
This happened to me too and I just noticed a different change. My time are corrected on the mobile site, when I log into singapore.com site it says these tickets are issued by another airline and we can't access them (yes, i am using the SQ locator that works on the mobile site) But the bigger issue that concerns me is that now United reservation web site shows them as R business bookings, but I booked FC. Mobile site still shows my FC seat assignments. This is screwed up? Should I ignore or cal SQ and/or United? I hate to call attention...
No, ignore it. That's GREAT news! It means that you're now in Suites class instead of First class!

The only reason United.com is misdisplaying it is because R is the upgraded Business Class bucket on United. Nothing to worry about.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Adam1222
One slight issue that arose for me but was fixed:
Flying SQ SIN-HKG-SFO in F, connecting in SFO back home to NY.
Originally, no saver seats were available in F on the three-class SFO-JFK (ps) flight, so I was put in first on the 2-cabin SFO-EWR.
I saw saver award space opened in F on SFO-JFK, and called, and she told me I only had a business class ticket so could not switch to a first class flight. I explained that I had paid the 70k redemption rate, so it was a first class ticket and should work fine. She argued with me for a while, put me on hold for 20 minutes, and told me I was right, and she had been confused by the "R" class on my SQ flight.
(And yes I know the ps flight will likely lose 3-cabin before I fly, but it will have flatbeds up front as opposed to regular domestic first on pm-CO SFO-EWR)
Put pm-CO on the 752 SFO-EWR will have the BusinessFirst seat which is better than the crap currently on UA p.s. F.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Put pm-CO on the 752 SFO-EWR will have the BusinessFirst seat which is better than the crap currently on UA p.s. F.
You're subject to the mercy of equipment swaps and schedule changes if you're hoping that your PMCO 752 will stick. For all of these recent troubles, United seems to be doing a decent job having the p.s. planes flying the p.s routes.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:27 pm

Hi All

Please advise: Was booked SFO-SIN in O class, received email from United of time change and equipment change(aircraft changed from 777w to a-380) I was downgraded to Business class although I had confirmed First class, called United and they said there is nothing they can do? Business is better than economy considering how hard it is to get availability on Singapore.

United claim it is not their fault, its Singapore, I told them I just want what I booked, I did not ask for any changes, therefore they need to honor the contract which was made 6 weeks ago.

thanks for any insight, much appreciated, once again Thanks to the op for letting us know about this once in a lifetime .

=FlyerChrisK;19148897]You're subject to the mercy of equipment swaps and schedule changes if you're hoping that your PMCO 752 will stick. For all of these recent troubles, United seems to be doing a decent job having the p.s. planes flying the p.s routes.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by coeur 05
Please advise: Was booked SFO-SIN in O class, received email from United of time change and equipment change(aircraft changed from 777w to a-380) I was downgraded to Business class although I had confirmed First class, called United and they said there is nothing they can do? Business is better than economy considering how hard it is to get availability on Singapore.

United claim it is not their fault, its Singapore, I told them I just want what I booked, I did not ask for any changes, therefore they need to honor the contract which was made 6 weeks ago.

thanks for any insight, much appreciated, once again Thanks to the op for letting us know about this once in a lifetime .
You were not downgraded, you were upgraded from First Class to Suites Class! SQ R class is Suites Class which is their best First Class product. On UA, R class is business class which is why the UA website or agents are confused. Trust me, you were not downgraded--you got VERY LUCKY!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by coeur 05

=FlyerChrisK;19148897]You're subject to the mercy of equipment swaps and schedule changes if you're hoping that your PMCO 752 will stick. For all of these recent troubles, United seems to be doing a decent job having the p.s. planes flying the p.s routes.
[/QUOTE]

Once again, how do you know that you are downgraded to Business? Are you seeing R as the booking code? If so, you are fine. That is Suites class on SQ. United uses it as upgraded business so it is simply a display error (UA doesn't understand that R is Suites on SQ). Go to sq.com or call and get your A380 Suite seats selected and enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.