Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I saw someone post this morning that the LH401 JFK-FRA flight for today was cancelled (as was FRA-JFK).... so you are definitely running some risk here.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I saw someone post this morning that the LH401 JFK-FRA flight for today was cancelled (as was FRA-JFK).... so you are definitely running some risk here.
oops, thought they were delays (according to flightaware), but indeed they are cancelled. just yesterday they said they would not let long hauls be affected....oopsy.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
you certainly are running risks with the LH strike, but they claim it will not affect Long haul flights. If you do decide to try the LH F, I can say that the seats are probably not as wide as the SQ seats, but are extremely comfortable. The issue will be that the probably would not let you into FCT since you are connecting to a non LH flight because it requires them to drive you to the aircraft from FCT, and I've never heard of an instance where they drive someone to a non LH aircraft.
I didnt mention in the other post but I am actually flying on the same ticket JFK-FRA-BCN then a week later BCN-FRA-SIN with the FRA-BCN-FRA legs in LH C, so in this case I would have access to the FCT on arrival from JFK if I do switch to the LH F for this flight. About how wide would you say the F seats really are on the LH 380?
Also I no longer have status on UA so I would have to pay to make this change.

Originally Posted by RTW1

Yes I saw that, but I am not flying until next week.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would never take a risk like that when having a comfortable SQ J seat already booked.... but who can predict what will happen next week.

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
oops, thought they were delays
I was also amazed that quite a number of long-hauls were cancelled. I guess they were trying to avoid that all their planes would arrive at FRA and there was no space to park them.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 31, 2012, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by acf1270
I didnt mention in the other post but I am actually flying on the same ticket JFK-FRA-BCN then a week later BCN-FRA-SIN with the FRA-BCN-FRA legs in LH C, so in this case I would have access to the FCT on arrival from JFK if I do switch to the LH F for this flight. About how wide would you say the F seats really are on the LH 380?
Also I no longer have status on UA so I would have to pay to make this change.
LH F seat are not extra wide like SQ - they are pretty much the standard width (22' or so).

However, I would take LH F over SQ F, but that is personal preference. They would both be equal on board, but LH F ground handling makes the difference.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
LH F seat are not extra wide like SQ - they are pretty much the standard width (22' or so).

However, I would take LH F over SQ F, but that is personal preference. They would both be equal on board, but LH F ground handling makes the difference.
Thanks for that info, as this confirms what I suspected. I wonder why seatguru, along with many other sites, lists the F seat width on LH A380 as 31,5 inches. Very misleading...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Both are great inflight experiences, but I would give the inflight nod to SQ... better food, much better wine/champagne.
On the ground, except departing SIN, LH wins hands down.
My recommendation: If departing SIN, go with SQ. If departing FRA/MUC/JFK, go with LH.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acf1270
Thanks for that info, as this confirms what I suspected. I wonder why seatguru, along with many other sites, lists the F seat width on LH A380 as 31,5 inches. Very misleading...
well - it might be 31.5 by the time you include the armrests etc etc - total of the seat space from side to side. But it certainly no SQ F seat which IS something like 31.5 right?

I dunno - maybe i got it wrong - but from what I can remember the LH/LX F seats are not notably wide.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:29 pm

Hello All

Simple question, has anyone flown TG A-380, I see an open Business Class in January, wondering if its worth trying instead of flying SQ J on the return flight to the States, having flown SQ J prior and flying SQ F on the outbound, thought I would change and sample a different product, anyone out there care to give me their opinion Thanks, ps how does one get in touch with agents from HNL or is it luck of the draw?

well - it might be 31.5 by the time you include the armrests etc etc - total of the seat space from side to side. But it certainly no SQ F seat which IS something like 31.5 right?

I dunno - maybe i got it wrong - but from what I can remember the LH/LX F seats are not notably wide.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coeur 05
Simple question, has anyone flown TG A-380, I see an open Business Class in January, wondering if its worth trying instead of flying SQ J on the return flight to the States, having flown SQ J prior and flying SQ F on the outbound, thought I would change and sample a different product, anyone out there care to give me their opinion Thanks, ps how does one get in touch with agents from HNL or is it luck of the draw?
the TG A 380 isn't flying yet in commercial service - so no one will have comments yet. I would not trade SQ for TG. SQ is better.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I used to have XXX-BKK-HKG-SFO on TG/SQ F. My trip changed and I will be flying from SIN, so I was able to change the itinerary to SIN-HKG-SFO, with SQ 2 in economy from SIN-HKG, then connecting immediately to SQ 2 in first from HKG-SIN. I am sure that I am not the first person to do this, but it seems peculiar. (Of course, neither SQ 2 nor the previous SIN-HKG flight was available even in business class.)

The UA agent said that since I paid for F, I would be upgraded on the SIN-HKG segment if it was available, but I believe that that's not true.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mecabq
The UA agent said that since I paid for F, I would be upgraded on the SIN-HKG segment if it was available, but I believe that that's not true.
I would say not a chance in hell. As far as SQ is concerned, you are ticketed in Y for that segment and they have no way to tell that your ticket is actually an F ticket. Now if you were on UA metal, there would be a different answer. In that case, you would be eligible for the FFCC list and could get a better cabin at the airport if it was available and you would have priority over upgraders on day of departure (but not before).
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
SKL Access in SIN on arrival?

Hi everyone. I am about a week away from enjoying my flight in F from IAH to SIN via the IT glitch. I am looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, my flight doesn't arrive until about 6am. I am staying in Singapore, so I will not have an onward boarding pass, but of course, hotel check-in is not until the afternoon. I am familiar with Changi and know the *G lounge options there basically suck, so it's either a reservation at the Ambassador Transit Hotel or I would be fine with killing 5 or 6 hours in the SilverKris lounge if I can get in. Has anyone also lacked an onward boarding pass and tried entry into the SKL in T3?

The prevailing wisdom on the Sing. Air board seems to be for likely entry into the business side of the SKL, but no way on the First / TPR side. Business side would be fine with me to grab a shower and kill a few hours. The transit hotel across the way is almost always full, so I would like to know if SKL access is a sure thing. Appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by austin_native
Hi everyone. I am about a week away from enjoying my flight in F from IAH to SIN via the IT glitch. I am looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, my flight doesn't arrive until about 6am. I am staying in Singapore, so I will not have an onward boarding pass, but of course, hotel check-in is not until the afternoon. I am familiar with Changi and know the *G lounge options there basically suck, so it's either a reservation at the Ambassador Transit Hotel or I would be fine with killing 5 or 6 hours in the SilverKris lounge if I can get in. Has anyone also lacked an onward boarding pass and tried entry into the SKL in T3?

The prevailing wisdom on the Sing. Air board seems to be for likely entry into the business side of the SKL, but no way on the First / TPR side. Business side would be fine with me to grab a shower and kill a few hours. The transit hotel across the way is almost always full, so I would like to know if SKL access is a sure thing. Appreciate any insight. Thanks.
Lounge access is based upon the fact that you have an onward boarding pass. There is no arrivals lounge at SIN I believe... If you arrival in FIRST and depart in BIZ... you can ask for exception for addmitance to the First SilverKris Lounge... with an onward boarding pass.

You can always ask... maybe you will get lucky. There is a free movie theatre in SIN and also a Priority Club lounge as well if you have access.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by austin_native
Unfortunately, my flight doesn't arrive until about 6am. I am staying in Singapore, so I will not have an onward boarding pass, but of course, hotel check-in is not until the afternoon.
No arrivals lounge in SIN. If you're staying in SIN and don't have an onwards BP, you can't enter the lounge. I see you a plat with Marriott, if you are staying with them on Orchard, you can request a 7am early check-in. They'll most likely accommodate your request. Good luck and enjoy your F flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.