Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:12 pm

using UA miles on SQ ICN-DEL

I redeemed miles for an F award from ORD to ICN on Asiana, and would like to add ICN to DEL on SQ, but no F or J award seats from ICN to SIN on the day that I need to travel. Will there be more SQ F or J award seats released closer to travel date or that's it?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
I redeemed miles for an F award from ORD to ICN on Asiana, and would like to add ICN to DEL on SQ, but no F or J award seats from ICN to SIN on the day that I need to travel. Will there be more SQ F or J award seats released closer to travel date or that's it?
Award inventory changes all the time..there is no way to know if more will be issued for your date but historically as the date gets closer if the flight is not full enough airlines will release more inventory.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by sleepyinboston
SQ released many F and C award seats in July. You may not see any award C/F seats from SQ at least from/to USA for while. Some people see availability on intra-Asia routes.

(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ard-o-101.html)

By picking up a random date 15OCT, I see C seats available from ICN-SIN (SQ607) and SIN-DEL (SQ408). I guess it still depends on the route and travel date.

I don't use United.com to get the above results. SQ award availability is not always on United.com. You have to call. Good luck.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
Have a few of these booked for the next year. I called yesterday to add a segment on UA between SFO-JFK (F) to SYD-SIN (F)-SFO (R) itinerary. Done without any problem in a few minutes. Called back later to add NYC-IAH to IAH-SIN (F)-MEL (R) itinerary. Total mess! Got my SIN-MEL segment in R cancelled and rebooked in Y. Took 5 different calls, more than 4 hours on the phone, conf calls with SQ till it was restored back to R. They were never able to add NYC-IAH segment. It was an ex-UA agent from HNL who knew what to do and fixed it. All 4 ex-Continental agents, including supervisor from SLC were clueless and completely incompetent! Will not retry to add NYC-IAH again. Anyone with a similar problem?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:19 am

[QUOTE=flying MD;19216695]....It was an ex-UA agent from HNL who knew what to do and fixed it. All 4 ex-Continental agents, including supervisor from SLC were clueless and completely incompetent! ....QUOTE]

I never hang up frustrated after speaking with a HNL agent. Infact, I let them know, every chance I get, how pleasant it has been speaking with them.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Sorry to hear about this sorry experience. I suspect that the problem is not specific to anything about SQ bookings, except for the possibility that the UA agents misinterpreted what R on SQ is (since it's business class on UA but A380 suites on SQ). But the bigger problem, to put the matter politely, might be a low level of expertise on the part of the CSRs.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA1K, IC RA, *wood Plt, AA EXP, LH Sen, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, EK Gold
[QUOTE=DBCme;19216731]
Originally Posted by flying MD
....It was an ex-UA agent from HNL who knew what to do and fixed it. All 4 ex-Continental agents, including supervisor from SLC were clueless and completely incompetent! ....QUOTE]

I never hang up frustrated after speaking with a HNL agent. Infact, I let them know, every chance I get, how pleasant it has been speaking with them.
Completely agree. They are the best!

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Sorry to hear about this sorry experience. I suspect that the problem is not specific to anything about SQ bookings, except for the possibility that the UA agents misinterpreted what R on SQ is (since it's business class on UA but A380 suites on SQ). But the bigger problem, to put the matter politely, might be a low level of expertise on the part of the CSRs.
That was the problem! I had to explain to them the difference between UA R and SQ R. They were trying to tell me that once the aircraft has changed from 773 to 380, it was SQ who rebooked me in Y. Many other bogus explanations. Unbelievable how incompetent they (ex-Continental) are!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 29, 2012 at 1:39 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
That was the problem! I had to explain to them the difference between UA R and SQ R. They were trying to tell me that once the aircraft has changed from 773 to 380, it was SQ who rebooked me in Y. Many other bogus explanations. Unbelievable how incompetent they (ex-Continental) are!
Ah, that's good go know both for your sake and for the rest of us if something like this pops up in our bookings. But as much as I don't like the UAdbaCO management, and as much as I love the HNL reservation center, and notwithstanding the absolutely lousy experience you had, I'm not sure I'd make this a pmCO versus pmUA CSR issue. There's plenty of competence and incompetence on both sides of that ledger.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: many
All 4 ex-Continental agents, including supervisor from SLC were clueless and completely incompetent!
Supervisor = more arrogant incompetence.

[QUOTE=flying MD;19216740]
Originally Posted by DBCme
Unbelievable how incompetent they (ex-Continental) are!
Oh, you can believe...

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm not sure I'd make this a pmCO versus pmUA CSR issue. There's plenty of competence and incompetence on both sides of that ledger.
^^^ for truth..... for the incompetence

I have 700K in CO miles (and an additional 500K in UR points which I have no plan to move over to CO now) I want to burn through and be done as best I can with this now complete p.o.s. airline.

As screwed up AA is, its not trying to be more screwed up.
As crappy as DL is, at least they are not pretending that they are not f'ing you over like CO

^ (that's not my thumb in the air count $mi$ek-ula)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Award inventory changes all the time..there is no way to know if more will be issued for your date but historically as the date gets closer if the flight is not full enough airlines will release more inventory.
As long as you're not waiting for award inventory on a 'premium' jet then it's worth checking back frequently - but that being said, I've monitored my SQ regional jet flights and nothing much seems to open up - even when cabins are empty. Generally speaking once the seats are gone they're gone. (I flew on a 7/50 occupancy flight ex SIN and it was still showing unavailable for award bookings)
Old Aug 29, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Have a few of these booked for the next year. I called yesterday to add a segment on UA between SFO-JFK (F) to SYD-SIN (F)-SFO (R) itinerary. Done without any problem in a few minutes. Called back later to add NYC-IAH to IAH-SIN (F)-MEL (R) itinerary. Total mess! Got my SIN-MEL segment in R cancelled and rebooked in Y. Took 5 different calls, more than 4 hours on the phone, conf calls with SQ till it was restored back to R. They were never able to add NYC-IAH segment. It was an ex-UA agent from HNL who knew what to do and fixed it. All 4 ex-Continental agents, including supervisor from SLC were clueless and completely incompetent! Will not retry to add NYC-IAH again. Anyone with a similar problem?
Yes, I tried to add a segment to my SFO-(HKG)-SIN flight and they said the only way to do it was to take me from my "R" booking and put me in "Y" on the same flight. I politely said nevermind, and hung up. That made ZERO sense to me. If I'm already on the flight in R, then they shouldn't have to touch it!

Luckily, I found a cheap J-class alternative on another airline. Now, both *A carriers lose.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:09 pm

tried to check in via sq.com, and it let me in - at least to the point of adding personal info/passport data. Then it would not let me complete check-in stating that I had not checked in to my other flights. I assume it's because I cant check in for my UA flight until tomrw morning (24 hrs advance) vs. sq's 48 hours?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
SQ J or LH F

I am booked to fly in a few days on SQ JFK-FRA-SIN. This is an F award ticket, but I am currently booked JFK-FRA in J on a A380 and then FRA-SIN in F on the 77W. I can see that there is now F award space available on LH on the JFK-FRA sector and I am trying to decide if I should switch or not. I have flown on the SQ A380 in J several times and I really love the extra wide seat. Seatguru lists the F seats on the LH A380 as being 31,5 inches wide which sounds great, but when I look at pictures, although it looks like a fantastic seat it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to 31,5 inches wide. I know about all the other extra benefits of being in LH F (F catering, FCT,etc..) but in this case I am ultimately more concerned with which will be the bigger and more comfortable seat.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I guess you have missed the news about the strikes at LH in FRA today?
At this time I would try to avoid LH until there is more news.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by acf1270
I am booked to fly in a few days on SQ JFK-FRA-SIN. This is an F award ticket, but I am currently booked JFK-FRA in J on a A380 and then FRA-SIN in F on the 77W. I can see that there is now F award space available on LH on the JFK-FRA sector and I am trying to decide if I should switch or not. I have flown on the SQ A380 in J several times and I really love the extra wide seat. Seatguru lists the F seats on the LH A380 as being 31,5 inches wide which sounds great, but when I look at pictures, although it looks like a fantastic seat it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to 31,5 inches wide. I know about all the other extra benefits of being in LH F (F catering, FCT,etc..) but in this case I am ultimately more concerned with which will be the bigger and more comfortable seat.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
you certainly are running risks with the LH strike, but they claim it will not affect Long haul flights. If you do decide to try the LH F, I can say that the seats are probably not as wide as the SQ seats, but are extremely comfortable. The issue will be that the probably would not let you into FCT since you are connecting to a non LH flight because it requires them to drive you to the aircraft from FCT, and I've never heard of an instance where they drive someone to a non LH aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.