Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
I can predict the gov't of Singapore would not let their national flag carrier be sullied by any sort of strike. That would tarnish the Singapore Inc. image. That kind of action could get you banished to Malaysia.

Originally Posted by RTW1
I would never take a risk like that when having a comfortable SQ J seat already booked.... but who can predict what will happen next week.

I was also amazed that quite a number of long-hauls were cancelled. I guess they were trying to avoid that all their planes would arrive at FRA and there was no space to park them.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by austin_native
Hi everyone. I am about a week away from enjoying my flight in F from IAH to SIN via the IT glitch. I am looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, my flight doesn't arrive until about 6am. I am staying in Singapore, so I will not have an onward boarding pass, but of course, hotel check-in is not until the afternoon. I am familiar with Changi and know the *G lounge options there basically suck, so it's either a reservation at the Ambassador Transit Hotel or I would be fine with killing 5 or 6 hours in the SilverKris lounge if I can get in. Has anyone also lacked an onward boarding pass and tried entry into the SKL in T3?

The prevailing wisdom on the Sing. Air board seems to be for likely entry into the business side of the SKL, but no way on the First / TPR side. Business side would be fine with me to grab a shower and kill a few hours. The transit hotel across the way is almost always full, so I would like to know if SKL access is a sure thing. Appreciate any insight. Thanks.
You won't gain access to the SKL without an onward BP as others have said. Not getting into the ethics of it, but you are 1K so you could book an onward ticket and later cancel it.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:05 am

I.m sitting in the kris flyer private room (dining room) waiting for SQ2. To anyone who is doubting their tickets, DON'T. My trip went off seamlessly. Everything has been wonderful. Used the dedicated First Class Check in "terminal" and every thing else has been perfect. SQ has been a wonderful host!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
anyone have any luck locating any ticket at all on SQ from here to 330 days out?
I dont see a single one on any routing
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
anyone have any luck locating any ticket at all on SQ from here to 330 days out?
I dont see a single one on any routing
The availability in economy (and some C seats) is there, however, for some reasons united.com does not display them. Calling is the way to get your seats.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
I.m sitting in the kris flyer private room (dining room) waiting for SQ2. To anyone who is doubting their tickets, DON'T. My trip went off seamlessly. Everything has been wonderful. Used the dedicated First Class Check in "terminal" and every thing else has been perfect. SQ has been a wonderful host!
Great to hear it LF!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:42 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by jasonvr
I would say not a chance in hell. As far as SQ is concerned, you are ticketed in Y for that segment and they have no way to tell that your ticket is actually an F ticket. Now if you were on UA metal, there would be a different answer. In that case, you would be eligible for the FFCC list and could get a better cabin at the airport if it was available and you would have priority over upgraders on day of departure (but not before).
My experience indicates otherwise - when SQ was still partners with DL - I took them regularly LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK - and for some reason DL was only able to book Y for the SIN-BKK-SIN segments even though it is served by 2 class equipment and my award was ticketed in F. I was always able to get the Y seat changed to J - at the SIN SKL on the outbound and at check-in in BKK. They were able to see that they were "paid" for F on the long haul flights and would at least placed me on the waitlist for the J seats which always cleared.

On the topic of this thread. I have tickets for 2 passengers next month on SQ F using UA miles in the same record. It is a possibility now that I'll be the only one traveling. Is it possible (and the best way to do the change) to cancel and redeposit one ticket and leave the other one standing. I'm wondering if it could be done "directly" or should I request that UA split the confirmation and then just cancel the one that is not traveling? TIA!!!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by peteropny
My experience indicates otherwise - when SQ was still partners with DL - I took them regularly LAX-NRT-SIN-BKK - and for some reason DL was only able to book Y for the SIN-BKK-SIN segments even though it is served by 2 class equipment and my award was ticketed in F. I was always able to get the Y seat changed to J - at the SIN SKL on the outbound and at check-in in BKK. They were able to see that they were "paid" for F on the long haul flights and would at least placed me on the waitlist for the J seats which always cleared.

On the topic of this thread. I have tickets for 2 passengers next month on SQ F using UA miles in the same record. It is a possibility now that I'll be the only one traveling. Is it possible (and the best way to do the change) to cancel and redeposit one ticket and leave the other one standing. I'm wondering if it could be done "directly" or should I request that UA split the confirmation and then just cancel the one that is not traveling? TIA!!!
Sure, just call UA, ask them to split the records, then you can cancel one. You'll have to likely request this over the phone, because when you split a record and try to refund one online, the system will try to refund miles for both tickets, but somehow catches its mistake somewhere in the process and errors out.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by peteropny

Good advice above from Matthew, but UA's reservation system is kind of glitchy since the merger and not all CSRs handle it well. So as with any UA reservation change these days, it's best to:

1. Get a sense, if you can, of whether the CSR knows what s/he's doing. I know that this can be a pretty subjective judgment. But if the CSR seems ignorant or unhelpful when you first ask about doing this, politely end the call and try someone else.
2. Once the CSR has made the change, keep him/her on the line while you check to make sure that the change is showing up online in your reservations list at the UA site, and that if possible you receive an email from UA indicating the change.

Also, with respect to this particular change:

1. Call SQ afterwards to make sure everything is in order from their end. E.g.., that your reservation is properly ticketed, it's just one person instead of two, etc.
2. If your F is on an SQ 380, be aware that the SQ code for that (R) is a business class code for UA. This confuses some UA CSRs. So you might have to explain this to whomever you talk to and/or make sure that in splitting the reservation the SQ R is preserved.

I'm probably making this more complicated than it sounds. But there have been enough reports of UA messing up reservations, particularly award reservations involving other carriers, that it's best to err on the side of caution...or should I say paranoia?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:41 pm

Is SQ X award availability showing on United.com????
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:25 pm

Yes
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Is SQ X award availability showing on United.com????
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:51 pm

So how would I connect multiple segments on United? Call them, is that the best? For example I want to go IAH - DME, but I need to go SMF - IAH, I see on United's site low award available. Is best bet to call?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
So how would I connect multiple segments on United? Call them, is that the best? For example I want to go IAH - DME, but I need to go SMF - IAH, I see on United's site low award available. Is best bet to call?
If the itinerary you want is not showing up online, then I would call....
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AirTravelLover
The availability in economy (and some C seats) is there, however, for some reasons united.com does not display them. Calling is the way to get your seats.
Actually, SQ availability seems to have returned to united.com as of early this afternoon!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by cricketer
Actually, SQ availability seems to have returned to united.com as of early this afternoon!
Looks like you have to call if you want to redeem for regional J. I see seats showing up on ANA, but not on UA. SIN-CGK for example.

I do see lots of economy availability via UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.