Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I made a booking in F with SQ and have guarded it with my life ever since. Overnight, I received yet another of those heart-sinking e-mails about a schedule change. Again, it is a very minor one (five minutes for one leg). However, I am now unable to manage the booking on SQ.com (which wasn't a problem before), receiving the error message:

"We are unable to retrieve your booking because this booking contains ticket(s) which is not issued by Singapore Airlines. Please check with the airline or travel agent you have made this booking with."

It's still showing up correctly on checkmytrip.com, and classic.checkmytrip.com displays my ticket number. Should I worry?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I made a booking in F with SQ and have guarded it with my life ever since. Overnight, I received yet another of those heart-sinking e-mails about a schedule change. Again, it is a very minor one (five minutes for one leg). However, I am now unable to manage the booking on SQ.com (which wasn't a problem before), receiving the error message:

"We are unable to retrieve your booking because this booking contains ticket(s) which is not issued by Singapore Airlines. Please check with the airline or travel agent you have made this booking with."

It's still showing up correctly on checkmytrip.com, and classic.checkmytrip.com displays my ticket number. Should I worry?
the EXACT same thing happened with my parents award booking issued by USDM for travel earlier this week. The booking was showing all ok on SQ a few weeks ago - and I could choose seats and book the cook. All of a sudden a day before departure it came up with the same message you got.

They travelled and everything was fine. The only thing was that they didn't get their boarding pass until arrival in Singapore (they checked in in Paris and were issued BPs for all segments bar the final flight which was SQ ex SIN).

No problems however, they just reported to the lounge in SIN and were issued a BP and warmly welcomed in.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
This is the same question that has been asked many times. SQ does not generally allow awards on their premium long haul aircraft in either first or business class. This includes all A380, 77W and A345 aircraft. Also excluded is 773 refurbished F class, and soon, all 772 refurbished two class aircraft (which will also get the 'new' business class product.

Regional business class (even the new regional one) is freely available on 773 and A330 aircraft. F is available (if you can find it - think just about all the planes are gone now I think) on non refurbished 772 and 773 aircraft. I think jakarta might still be one of those destinations.

I would make alternative arrangments to fly on another carrier rather than wait for a premium seat on SQ to open up. If they do (like the recent glitch) you can be sure it'll be all over FT
FWIW, SINEWR is relatively easy to redeem at the low award level using SQ points. A colleague just booked a family of 5. This obviously requires transferring miles from Amex or SPG, the former of which is instantaneous. I realize this doesn't help those with UA currency already in their account. But if SQ is the goal, that might influence your card decision.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Just call in.

I booked DPS-SIN-PEK-ULN on the phone because it wasnt available on the website, they waived the phone fee without asking.
Likewise re fee. Agent pulled up the website and saw the same thing I did (nothing in C). DPSSIN was a cinch to book, albeit on a 772 regional J for two hours won't exactly rival showering on Emirates above the Atlantic.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 13, 2012 at 8:28 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 13, 2012, 3:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag

There's a known feature with singaporeair.com where third-party bookings usually don't show up on singaporeair.com (but are available on mobile.singaporeair.com). This is just a bummer because it means you can't Book The Cook online; you'll have to call and and ask what's available.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:06 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by mherdeg
There's a known feature with singaporeair.com where third-party bookings usually don't show up on singaporeair.com (but are available on mobile.singaporeair.com). This is just a bummer because it means you can't Book The Cook online; you'll have to call and and ask what's available.
You can look at the menu online & then call it in. You don't need to spend hours on the phone having an agent read you every avail dish
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
the EXACT same thing happened with my parents award booking issued by USDM for travel earlier this week. The booking was showing all ok on SQ a few weeks ago - and I could choose seats and book the cook. All of a sudden a day before departure it came up with the same message you got.

They travelled and everything was fine. The only thing was that they didn't get their boarding pass until arrival in Singapore (they checked in in Paris and were issued BPs for all segments bar the final flight which was SQ ex SIN).

No problems however, they just reported to the lounge in SIN and were issued a BP and warmly welcomed in.
Thanks very much for this reassurance - much appreciated!

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Thanks; it wasn't an issue between August and now but it is now - the mobile site does work, however, as you suggested. Fortunately, I'd already decided against booking the cook anyway.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 13, 2012 at 8:29 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 16, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.3m), UA1K (0.4m), SPG Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
+1 I made an analogous change to my mainly SQ F itinerary, and retained the SQ F segments without any problem.
+1. Had 3 tickets booked in C (one US-FRA-SIN-China-rtn), 2 (FRA-SIN-China-rtn), all through UA. Changed non-SQ segments on all 3 several times. Stressed importance of keeping the family together and not dropping anything. Wasn't a problem.

SQ C was great (77W and 380). Hugely wide seat, great service.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:43 pm

I'm on the return from our vacation and it appears SQ canceled my return from HKG claiming that I was a no show for an outbound segment. I was on the Skype with united and someone from sq for three hours this morning and that was the most they figured out. I'm on our way from Phuket and hopefully they will figure it out when we get to Hong Kong.

We split our reservation to ticket from two different mileage accounts and my partner still has his seat. SQ said that they sold my seat and are full in First and Business, but could get me an Economy seat or I can wait until tomorrow for first. I'm not sure that they know we're traveling together yet. United won't change my other domestic segments claiming it wasn't their fault.

Anyways, the outbound was pretty good and we've blogged about our trip so far: http://www.thaitum.com/blog
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:48 am

They said it was a "glitch", so now we have to take the flight tomorrow or one of us will be downgraded to economy with no compensation.

They are going to put us up at the airport hotel and give us 4 meal vouchers. Our domestic connections will be all messed up though and we'll miss a day of work.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 5:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You might be better of taking the eco seat.... And fight for compensation later, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

What a bad way to end your trip.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tummy
They said it was a "glitch", so now we have to take the flight tomorrow or one of us will be downgraded to economy with no compensation.

They are going to put us up at the airport hotel and give us 4 meal vouchers. Our domestic connections will be all messed up though and we'll miss a day of work.
So wait - a "glitch" and you're the one that has to suffer? Unacceptable IMO.

this isn't exactly a "glitch" that allowed you to book a flight for 4 miles - this thing was ticketed and confirmed and their "glitch" screwed it up.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Cargojon

this isn't exactly a "glitch" that allowed you to book a flight for 4 miles - this thing was ticketed and confirmed and their "glitch" screwed it up.
Yes we feel its unacceptable as well, but what can you do but make the most of it. They sold my F seat and won't do much to help. They said since it was a mileage flight they could move us both to the next day in F, give us hotel and meal vouchers and rebook our united domestic segments. Or we can both sit in C and get nothing, or one in F and one in Y. I had hoped they would put us in C with cash compensation, but that wasn't on the table.

We chose the free hotel, meals, and full day to visit Hong Kong, with both of us in F on the next days flight. Now I just hope to get out domestic segments sorted in the morning, it's 1am in Hong Kong now.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very sorry to hear about this, Tummy. I guess it's something to include in your excellent travel blog, but am sure that you'd rather simply report on a hassle-free trip. I would hope and think that UA should be able to straighten out your domestic connections without any charges or many hassles since it was a UA ticket (albeit on SQ for the longest leg) that got screwed up. Well, more of an emphasis on "hope" than "think" here, given UA's customer service...

It's at least good that you get to fly back the next day in style rather than in economy. I know an extra day on a trip can be a drag, not least in terms of missing work, but hope that the day in HKG is worth it. (I'm curious...what hotel did SQ put you up in?)

FWIW, I guess you'll never know exactly what went wrong, but in my experience with my wife's and my own upcoming SQ F tickets using UA miles I've found that even a slight change in the SQ flight schedule can mess up UA something booked via UA. It's a systemic problem that involves not just SQ but lots of award flights on UA partners. Maybe not in your situation, since SQ seems to be taking responsibility for this, but I thought I'd through it out there.

Also, the lesson I and others should take from this is to keep monitoring our own reservations way beyond how we usually would do so. I've seen too many reports of screw-ups such as this. So thanks for the warning.

Again, hope it all works out, and please include a good post and photos from your SQ F if you feel so inclined. Happy trails!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Cargojon

no. the glitch is unrelated to the issue of it being the accidental release of sq mileage seats. I don't think you should connect the two.

there was a glitch, and there were no f class seats. but that could happen to anyone on any ticket at any time. sq is not like some Us carrier where they can just move an upgrade out of the f cabin... on sq everyone pays for it, and if they sold it they sold it.

compensation is then in line with the carrier's policy.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Tummy
I'm on the return from our vacation and it appears SQ canceled my return from HKG claiming that I was a no show for an outbound segment. I was on the Skype with united and someone from sq for three hours this morning and that was the most they figured out. I'm on our way from Phuket and hopefully they will figure it out when we get to Hong Kong.

We split our reservation to ticket from two different mileage accounts and my partner still has his seat. SQ said that they sold my seat and are full in First and Business, but could get me an Economy seat or I can wait until tomorrow for first. I'm not sure that they know we're traveling together yet. United won't change my other domestic segments claiming it wasn't their fault.

Anyways, the outbound was pretty good and we've blogged about our trip so far: http://www.thaitum.com/blog

I hate to say this, but I think SQ is screwing you. They will look for any excuse to not honor these tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.