FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 1:33 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very sorry to hear about this, Tummy. I guess it's something to include in your excellent travel blog, but am sure that you'd rather simply report on a hassle-free trip. I would hope and think that UA should be able to straighten out your domestic connections without any charges or many hassles since it was a UA ticket (albeit on SQ for the longest leg) that got screwed up. Well, more of an emphasis on "hope" than "think" here, given UA's customer service...

It's at least good that you get to fly back the next day in style rather than in economy. I know an extra day on a trip can be a drag, not least in terms of missing work, but hope that the day in HKG is worth it. (I'm curious...what hotel did SQ put you up in?)

FWIW, I guess you'll never know exactly what went wrong, but in my experience with my wife's and my own upcoming SQ F tickets using UA miles I've found that even a slight change in the SQ flight schedule can mess up UA something booked via UA. It's a systemic problem that involves not just SQ but lots of award flights on UA partners. Maybe not in your situation, since SQ seems to be taking responsibility for this, but I thought I'd through it out there.

Also, the lesson I and others should take from this is to keep monitoring our own reservations way beyond how we usually would do so. I've seen too many reports of screw-ups such as this. So thanks for the warning.

Again, hope it all works out, and please include a good post and photos from your SQ F if you feel so inclined. Happy trails!