Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by jasonvr
If it tickets, and you get a ticket number, can't the DOT enforce like it did for the RGN deal? DOT now seems to consider a ticket number a contract and seems to be willing to play hardball with the airlines like it did with KE.
Lets just hope that they don't want to play hardball like SN Brussels Airlines did a long time ago.
About 10 years ago (when SN Brussels Airlines was recently founded) there was a mistake fare CPH-BRU-JNB R/T. I was one of the many people who took advantage of the fare, but the airline didn't want to honor it, instead offering me CPH-BRU R/T. (Yeah, like I'd take that...). After a long fight, they decided to honor the tickets, but when they cancelled the BRU-JNB route, they refused to rebook me and instead refunded my money. A long fight with no gain...
Not that I think that SQ will cancel any routes if too many people book F class award seats...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm, on a second ticketed reservation, UA seems to have decided to add a spurious upsale to the reservation without telling me…

I never clicked any buttons to OK this (and don't have any pending CC charges in this amount).

Indeed, my current UA receipt shows the correct charges.

Am just a little concerned that if there are any changes that require reticketing, UA will decide it needs to charge me for an upsale.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by newbieflyer1
i am trying on ua website not able to see any flights.should i search in singapore airlines website
Don't bother it is down - ie: the glitch.

I am in the boat of I had a UA F award, and change part of (the middle of a 3flt itin). I would like to assume that if this turns out to be soap radio UA will put me back where I was. I definitely want this to be real, it is really once in a life time (at least for me), but if it isn't UA should take care of us.

Someone really want to test this? There is SQ F space on a few flights tomorrow.......go get on one
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by ConnFlyer
I can't imagine that SQ (or UA depending on who the guilty party is) would want to take the hit for all these tickets. At this point, based just on this thread, you're talking the potential to lose out on hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue.

Nonetheless, I'll keep holding hope that my AKL trip will hold. Going from IAD to AKL via SIN isn't the fastest way, but it sure would be sweet since NZ awards in business are nonexistent. And honestly, if these tickets do go through, it would certainly allow me to forgive UA for some of their screw-ups throughout the past few months.
The world does not revolve around FT, nor is it a good indicator of much. How many people acted on this thread? 100? 200 ? It's a drop in the bucket. It's not like SQ issued thousands of tickets in the hour or 2 it took them to shut down the site. I would bet those that got conf #s from SQ will get to keep there tickets. A number of people booked C instead of F which while still difficulty to get as an award, does open up (I've seen EWR-SIN, JFK-SIN and ICN-SIN avail for close in C award travel. I was on SQ 1 last winter in F and was talking to a guy in C who got his seat w US miles as well)

So, am I nuts? Considering replacing some flights on an existing award itin in about a month:

Current:
LAX-IAD C on pmCO FB 752
IAD-FRA F on UA 777

Proposed:
LAX-SFO F
SFO-JFK ps F
JFK-FRA SQ C 388

So drop UA GF for SQ C TATL. Still get GFL access because of the ps F segment. Do we feel there is a risk these will get FUBAR'd and I will totally screw up my trip leaving me with no way to get to FRA?

You should not have a problem. ESPECIALLY with that flight. SQ DOES release space in C on the 380, although its very rare and usually close in. I doubt anyone who booked an award in C will have a problem. Even the few who got F should be fine. SQ closed down the site before any real damage was done. At worst, a few hundred F tkts were issued

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
OK, called in to make my change. Agent did NOT cancel my original flights. Said we need to wait 12 hours to make sure everything goes thru and I'll nee to call back in tomorrow to see what happened. So, best of all worlds. Got my dibs in for the SQ flight and still have protection on my original UA flights!

And at the end, as the agent read back the changes, she got to the SQ flight and said "business, and I'm doing air-quotes here because I'm sure you know what SQ business is like". I was frank with her and said "yep, so I'm sure you understand why I would dump UA F in favor of SQ J"
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
For those who got tickets, do you see a SQ confirmation number? I only see United's PNR and I'm wondering what this means...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:39 pm

Great find! However, it was too late for my multiple trip PNR to get ticketed. Not the best days as I hesitated too long. All the long-haul(Cs and Fs) in peak seasons are almost all gone. I managed to grab EWR-SIN A340 C and JFK-FRA-SIN C, but the latter one is not the best time. Still trying to modify the dates.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by Pat+
For those who got tickets, do you see a SQ confirmation number? I only see United's PNR and I'm wondering what this means...
Nothing. The UA website rarely shows SQ confirmation numbers for any bookings.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Pat+
It's in there for me.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it tickets, and you get a ticket number, can't the DOT enforce like it did for the RGN deal? DOT now seems to consider a ticket number a contract and seems to be willing to play hardball with the airlines like it did with KE.
Probably.

My ticket numbers just issued. Still not sure I'm actually going to be able to use the tickets, but glad to have them booked just in case.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Shortly after booking I received the ticket confirmation with my eticket #. Two hours later I now have my seat assignment.
It looks like this should work (I hope).
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
Booked one new reservation and modified another one both in SQ F...hopefully they are honored. Nothing lost if SQ does not follow through.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
My husband and I currently hold seats on UA F HKG-SFO. I tried to grab 2 seats per dot bomb but res says SQ shows 1 F however 2 in J are available.

Agent stated that until SQ comes back to confirm the reservation, UA will not cancel the original ticket. So there isn't a risk to anyone with existing reservations.^

My question, give up 2 UA F's for SQ J?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
If flights are changed are eventually changed...

In the event that UA changes my SQ booking SFO-HKG-SIN to UA operated flights, can I cancel and redeposit, without a fee?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Hmm, on a second ticketed reservation, UA seems to have decided to add a spurious upsale to the reservation without telling me…

I never clicked any buttons to OK this (and don't have any pending CC charges in this amount).

Indeed, my current UA receipt shows the correct charges.

Am just a little concerned that if there are any changes that require reticketing, UA will decide it needs to charge me for an upsale.
I have something similar on an itinerary I booked last year, but had to have re-ticketed recently. I called United about the weird apparent purchase of extra miles (which is NOT reflected on the receipt). Reservations could not see it and advised me to ignore it. Said that the reservation is ticketed and there should be no problems.

Oddly, my husband and son, who are on another PNR, do not show the erroneous extra miles notation, though their tickets were reissued at the same time as mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.