Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Old Aug 29, 12, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by flying MD View Post
That was the problem! I had to explain to them the difference between UA R and SQ R. They were trying to tell me that once the aircraft has changed from 773 to 380, it was SQ who rebooked me in Y. Many other bogus explanations. Unbelievable how incompetent they (ex-Continental) are!
Ah, that's good go know both for your sake and for the rest of us if something like this pops up in our bookings. But as much as I don't like the UAdbaCO management, and as much as I love the HNL reservation center, and notwithstanding the absolutely lousy experience you had, I'm not sure I'd make this a pmCO versus pmUA CSR issue. There's plenty of competence and incompetence on both sides of that ledger.
Old Aug 29, 12, 4:37 pm

Programs: many
All 4 ex-Continental agents, including supervisor from SLC were clueless and completely incompetent!
Supervisor = more arrogant incompetence.

[QUOTE=flying MD;19216740]
Originally Posted by DBCme View Post
Unbelievable how incompetent they (ex-Continental) are!
Oh, you can believe...

Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
I'm not sure I'd make this a pmCO versus pmUA CSR issue. There's plenty of competence and incompetence on both sides of that ledger.
^^^ for truth..... for the incompetence

I have 700K in CO miles (and an additional 500K in UR points which I have no plan to move over to CO now) I want to burn through and be done as best I can with this now complete p.o.s. airline.

As screwed up AA is, its not trying to be more screwed up.
As crappy as DL is, at least they are not pretending that they are not f'ing you over like CO

^ (that's not my thumb in the air count $mi$ek-ula)
Old Aug 29, 12, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
Award inventory changes all the time..there is no way to know if more will be issued for your date but historically as the date gets closer if the flight is not full enough airlines will release more inventory.
As long as you're not waiting for award inventory on a 'premium' jet then it's worth checking back frequently - but that being said, I've monitored my SQ regional jet flights and nothing much seems to open up - even when cabins are empty. Generally speaking once the seats are gone they're gone. (I flew on a 7/50 occupancy flight ex SIN and it was still showing unavailable for award bookings)
Old Aug 29, 12, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Have a few of these booked for the next year. I called yesterday to add a segment on UA between SFO-JFK (F) to SYD-SIN (F)-SFO (R) itinerary. Done without any problem in a few minutes. Called back later to add NYC-IAH to IAH-SIN (F)-MEL (R) itinerary. Total mess! Got my SIN-MEL segment in R cancelled and rebooked in Y. Took 5 different calls, more than 4 hours on the phone, conf calls with SQ till it was restored back to R. They were never able to add NYC-IAH segment. It was an ex-UA agent from HNL who knew what to do and fixed it. All 4 ex-Continental agents, including supervisor from SLC were clueless and completely incompetent! Will not retry to add NYC-IAH again. Anyone with a similar problem?
Yes, I tried to add a segment to my SFO-(HKG)-SIN flight and they said the only way to do it was to take me from my "R" booking and put me in "Y" on the same flight. I politely said nevermind, and hung up. That made ZERO sense to me. If I'm already on the flight in R, then they shouldn't have to touch it!

Luckily, I found a cheap J-class alternative on another airline. Now, both *A carriers lose.
Old Aug 30, 12, 6:09 pm

tried to check in via sq.com, and it let me in - at least to the point of adding personal info/passport data. Then it would not let me complete check-in stating that I had not checked in to my other flights. I assume it's because I cant check in for my UA flight until tomrw morning (24 hrs advance) vs. sq's 48 hours?
Old Aug 31, 12, 9:19 am

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
SQ J or LH F

I am booked to fly in a few days on SQ JFK-FRA-SIN. This is an F award ticket, but I am currently booked JFK-FRA in J on a A380 and then FRA-SIN in F on the 77W. I can see that there is now F award space available on LH on the JFK-FRA sector and I am trying to decide if I should switch or not. I have flown on the SQ A380 in J several times and I really love the extra wide seat. Seatguru lists the F seats on the LH A380 as being 31,5 inches wide which sounds great, but when I look at pictures, although it looks like a fantastic seat it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to 31,5 inches wide. I know about all the other extra benefits of being in LH F (F catering, FCT,etc..) but in this case I am ultimately more concerned with which will be the bigger and more comfortable seat.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 31, 12, 9:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I guess you have missed the news about the strikes at LH in FRA today?
At this time I would try to avoid LH until there is more news.
Old Aug 31, 12, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by acf1270 View Post
I am booked to fly in a few days on SQ JFK-FRA-SIN. This is an F award ticket, but I am currently booked JFK-FRA in J on a A380 and then FRA-SIN in F on the 77W. I can see that there is now F award space available on LH on the JFK-FRA sector and I am trying to decide if I should switch or not. I have flown on the SQ A380 in J several times and I really love the extra wide seat. Seatguru lists the F seats on the LH A380 as being 31,5 inches wide which sounds great, but when I look at pictures, although it looks like a fantastic seat it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to 31,5 inches wide. I know about all the other extra benefits of being in LH F (F catering, FCT,etc..) but in this case I am ultimately more concerned with which will be the bigger and more comfortable seat.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
you certainly are running risks with the LH strike, but they claim it will not affect Long haul flights. If you do decide to try the LH F, I can say that the seats are probably not as wide as the SQ seats, but are extremely comfortable. The issue will be that the probably would not let you into FCT since you are connecting to a non LH flight because it requires them to drive you to the aircraft from FCT, and I've never heard of an instance where they drive someone to a non LH aircraft.
Old Aug 31, 12, 9:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I saw someone post this morning that the LH401 JFK-FRA flight for today was cancelled (as was FRA-JFK).... so you are definitely running some risk here.
Old Aug 31, 12, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
I saw someone post this morning that the LH401 JFK-FRA flight for today was cancelled (as was FRA-JFK).... so you are definitely running some risk here.
oops, thought they were delays (according to flightaware), but indeed they are cancelled. just yesterday they said they would not let long hauls be affected....oopsy.
Old Aug 31, 12, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
you certainly are running risks with the LH strike, but they claim it will not affect Long haul flights. If you do decide to try the LH F, I can say that the seats are probably not as wide as the SQ seats, but are extremely comfortable. The issue will be that the probably would not let you into FCT since you are connecting to a non LH flight because it requires them to drive you to the aircraft from FCT, and I've never heard of an instance where they drive someone to a non LH aircraft.
I didnt mention in the other post but I am actually flying on the same ticket JFK-FRA-BCN then a week later BCN-FRA-SIN with the FRA-BCN-FRA legs in LH C, so in this case I would have access to the FCT on arrival from JFK if I do switch to the LH F for this flight. About how wide would you say the F seats really are on the LH 380?
Also I no longer have status on UA so I would have to pay to make this change.

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post

Yes I saw that, but I am not flying until next week.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 31, 12 at 11:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 31, 12, 9:46 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would never take a risk like that when having a comfortable SQ J seat already booked.... but who can predict what will happen next week.

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer View Post
oops, thought they were delays
I was also amazed that quite a number of long-hauls were cancelled. I guess they were trying to avoid that all their planes would arrive at FRA and there was no space to park them.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 31, 12 at 11:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 31, 12, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by acf1270 View Post
I didnt mention in the other post but I am actually flying on the same ticket JFK-FRA-BCN then a week later BCN-FRA-SIN with the FRA-BCN-FRA legs in LH C, so in this case I would have access to the FCT on arrival from JFK if I do switch to the LH F for this flight. About how wide would you say the F seats really are on the LH 380?
Also I no longer have status on UA so I would have to pay to make this change.
LH F seat are not extra wide like SQ - they are pretty much the standard width (22' or so).

However, I would take LH F over SQ F, but that is personal preference. They would both be equal on board, but LH F ground handling makes the difference.
Old Aug 31, 12, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
LH F seat are not extra wide like SQ - they are pretty much the standard width (22' or so).

However, I would take LH F over SQ F, but that is personal preference. They would both be equal on board, but LH F ground handling makes the difference.
Thanks for that info, as this confirms what I suspected. I wonder why seatguru, along with many other sites, lists the F seat width on LH A380 as 31,5 inches. Very misleading...
Old Aug 31, 12, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm, TP Gold *G
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
Both are great inflight experiences, but I would give the inflight nod to SQ... better food, much better wine/champagne.
On the ground, except departing SIN, LH wins hands down.
My recommendation: If departing SIN, go with SQ. If departing FRA/MUC/JFK, go with LH.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: