Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Three words:

They don't care.

With consolidation, there is limited choice. Will they lose a few customers to AA and DL? Yes. But that is a calculated risk. But between AA being in bankrupcy and DL offering Skypesos, UA will attract replacements. They believe people like FlyerTalkers are not high-margin unless they are high-revenue GS.

If elite customers deliver the same margins as kettles, then they can extract additional revenue from kettles than they can from elites because elites are entitled to additional services that they can sell to kettles. Thus kettles become higher-margin, and they'd rather fill the planes with kettles than with over-entitled elites.

COdbaUA clearly has no interest in loyalty from anyone other than highest revenue customers (GS). It is a fundamental shift in strategy, and unless elite flyers really leave, they will be rewarded by continued loyalty from people who complain but don't really do anything about it.

Total spent on UA in 2012: $0.
A very legitimate analysis of the situation. I too believe that is generally the way they see it. Perhaps a slight tweak, perhaps exactly what you are saying - I feel they think Elites are people willing to buy higher reservation short notice tickets. Kettles are people they can extract more revenue from. Example: When I spend $800 on a short notice, high revenue ticket, I'm not too excited to spend more money (even a marginal amount - let's say $100) to upgrade. But when a kettle on my flight spent $150 on the ticket, they are more than willing to spend $100+ to upgrade to "first class". So United targets them, thinking I'll stick with United, which is somewhat true...yes I know I'm being stupid. I promised myself I'd push it to mid-year to make a determination. So far, I'm regretting waiting. I've got 7 more flights booked (probably $5K...sigh). And I bet I'm sitting in E- due to plane/seat changes, 50% of the time when AA would put me in First 80-90% of those flights. Not only am I "over-entitled" in UA's mind, I'm the stupid Customer they have built their strategy around. I'll switch at mid-year - I've seen the errors of my ways.
Old May 27, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM, DL Gold/Million Miler, AA Exec Plat/Million Miler, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Three words:

They don't care.

With consolidation, there is limited choice. Will they lose a few customers to AA and DL? Yes. But that is a calculated risk. But between AA being in bankrupcy and DL offering Skypesos, UA will attract replacements. They believe people like FlyerTalkers are not high-margin unless they are high-revenue GS.

If elite customers deliver the same margins as kettles, then they can extract additional revenue from kettles than they can from elites because elites are entitled to additional services that they can sell to kettles. Thus kettles become higher-margin, and they'd rather fill the planes with kettles than with over-entitled elites.

COdbaUA clearly has no interest in loyalty from anyone other than highest revenue customers (GS). It is a fundamental shift in strategy, and unless elite flyers really leave, they will be rewarded by continued loyalty from people who complain but don't really do anything about it.

Total spent on UA in 2012: $0.
------------------

To be fair I haven't flown UA since April, but as a high rev GS (100-150K annual spend) I was not seeing any attempt by UA to get my loyalty. Am I missing something?
Old May 27, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by Jetlagged
------------------

To be fair I haven't flown UA since April, but as a high rev GS (100-150K annual spend) I was not seeing any attempt by UA to get my loyalty. Am I missing something?
Unfortunately, as I see it, you are not.

From a business point of view, I think the whole situation is really strange. I want to return to UA, but not in the present state. The system issues will take years to fix, imo. But - the reparing the attitude towards high revenue pax should not, but strangely everything is going in the "wrong" direction.
Old May 27, 2012, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, SPG VIP
Wow. I wandered back over the COdbaUA forum for the first time in a while to see what was going on and ran into this buzzsaw of a thread. After being both 1K and EXP, I switched to AA as my primary carrier this year due to how well I felt EXP was treated vs 1K. I will make EXP again for next year this week and thought about coming back to COdbaUA to finish out the balance of the year and also make 1K again. Doesn't seem like its worth it with GPUs still consistently ending up in the trash bin at the end of the year and Kettles getting TOD priority.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: UA GS/3MM, DL Gold/Million Miler, AA Exec Plat/Million Miler, Emirates Gold
So can I ask UAInsider or any UA rep: what is the value of GS?

Before I board the plane- I have to go through the upgrade lottery process - which was never the case pre 3/3 (I have been GS since the program began, and can count on one finger the # of times I didn't clear over the last few years)

While I board the plane- I am part of a generic group called "elites" (including credit card holders) - so no longer a decent shot at access to carry on bag space

On the plane- no recognition for meal priorities or for anything else. No wifi. So so international First class product not competitive with any non US carrier, swill for coffee, champagne out of wine glasses (why not go all the way- use paper cups?)

In the case of IRROPS, no assurances of being taken care of

So please remind me- whats the value of being a GS?
Old May 28, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold

Before I board the plane- I have to go through the upgrade lottery process - which was never the case pre 3/3 (I have been GS since the program began, and can count on one finger the # of times I didn't clear over the last few years)

While I board the plane- I am part of a generic group called "elites" (including credit card holders) - so no longer a decent shot at access to carry on bag space

On the plane- no recognition for meal priorities or for anything else. No wifi. So so international First class product not competitive with any non US carrier, swill for coffee, champagne out of wine glasses (why not go all the way- use paper cups?)

As we understand it, UAInsider and anyone speaking for COdbaUA is not permitted to give a straight answer. Per the CFO, these would all be considered over entitlements. You are likely a passenger the airline is not chasing after and will continue to make more miserable in the future. UA wants the Customer they don't have now that they can up-sell all the way up until the flight. Elites offer little up-sell pas the initial sale, which UA assumes it has a lock on. If they are right, they have a good revenue model. If they are wrong, we can only speculate on where this decision will take them in the future.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by reddirt14
As we understand it, UAInsider and anyone speaking for COdbaUA is not permitted to give a straight answer. Per the CFO, these would all be considered over entitlements. You are likely a passenger the airline is not chasing after and will continue to make more miserable in the future. UA wants the Customer they don't have now that they can up-sell all the way up until the flight. Elites offer little up-sell pas the initial sale, which UA assumes it has a lock on. If they are right, they have a good revenue model. If they are wrong, we can only speculate on where this decision will take them in the future.
---------
Lets see- I personally spend 100-150K annually on airfares (this UA can check from their data), most of it Y/C/F, and they don't want me?
Old May 28, 2012, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by reddirt14
---------
Lets see- I personally spend 100-150K annually on airfares (this UA can check from their data), most of it Y/C/F, and they don't want me?
I don't think that's precisely the case. I think they think that you are so vested with your GS status that you won't change carriers.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:21 am

Jetlagged, I think you need to return to message 1 of this thread, then listen to Rainey's talk. Apparently you missed the fact that certain MP members have been over-entitled. Clearly, you're one of those. If you think your lifetime loyalty and lifetime spend that I'm guessing is multiples of $100K is worth anything, you're not thinking clearly and failing to adapt to change. It sounds to me, that's your problem. Just not thinking clearly. If you think your loyalty and spend should entitle you to anything, you belong with another airline at this point. These guys can't see beyond a $29 TOD. Now, move to the back of the line behind the kettles on the $29 TOD. If you want better treatment, next time, don't tell them you're GS, book w/o a MP number, and for $29, you can push yourself ahead of all the other GS trying to board.

Oh, and if you don't like champagne in wine glasses, just wait until they take away the ceramic coffee mugs. I'm waiting for that one, since it seems to be the norm on CO metal. But, anyway, this is only relevant if you drink tea, because the coffee is inedible now.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)
I don't think that's precisely the case. I think they think that you are so vested with your GS status that you won't change carriers.
It sounds like you still don't understand this.

Go find the recent post under the "Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades" thread.

Someone there shared some information on how SHARES works.

It seems from the post that SHARES has a secret algorithm that nobody is allowed to talk about. That algorithm makes offers based on how much they think they can extract from you.

The perverse logic of this algorithm seems to be that it punishes high value flyers until they can't take it anymore and choose to leave UA for another airline.

If you fly a lot, if you spend a lot, then it knows that you shouldn't get any offers, because it knows they've got your money anyway.

If you fly rarely, and/or you fly on super-cheap fares, it'll make offers, because it knows it can get more out of you. If you're on a $129 fare in the back of the plane in a middle seat next to the bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in 65 years, surely you'll pay $14 to move to E+ or $29 to push a GS out of F.

But, if you're a GS, who pays $1,400 for the same flight, there isn't anything more they can sell to you.

Since the logic doesn't look at lifetime spend, but only values a customer for "how much more" it can extract out of your wallet "right now" this means that high value customers are worthless.

Based on that recent post (plus reading here plus recent experience) this seems to be where we've ended up.

And, how dare you suggest you deserve anything. That is over-entitlement. If you don't fix that attitude, Rainey will surely take the next opportunity to slap you down in public.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC

I actually have asked exactly this question of UA Insider twice via PMs as well as here on the board and gotten no answer nor even acknowlegement that I posed the question. In the PMs I actually asked this very politely 2 months back in a real effort to understand what the quid pro quo for GS was going to be - not as a rhetorical "I'm out of here" sort of thing. I actually thought I would get some sort of a useful response back then because I really respected the effort she and her team put into trying to address issues. Her ignoring of this private question as well as deadening silence here and the increasing "leaks" out of UA about how they view and intend to "use" their best passengers has left me with a new understanding of how this company intends to operate. I am a few 10s of thousands of miles from 3MM so for whatever 1K for life may be worth (and I don't think that will be much under the current management but might have some future value if that should change) I am continuing to book UA for a bit longer but post that set of flights I'll become purely the transactional customer that they seem to want. If a particular trip is cheapest for the service level I may book them but otherwise I can buy premium cabin elsewhere and get better service and often better pricing.

And lest she think that such change of behavior won't happen I will observe that a decade ago I had an incident with AA where they totally blew their service and then weren't even appologetic about it (you can probably find the write up in the archives here). The upshot of that was that I said I would stop using AA as my go to carrier and only fly them when they were the best choice. I was EXP at the time (not that I am an AA 2MM) and since then I have probably flown less than 1 trip per year with AA because I would choose them only when scheduling was much better than UA.

I'm not so much angry with UA -that seems a pointless emotion to hold toward a corporation - as sad at the transformation of an entity that generally served my needs so well that it made doing business with them generally a pleasure.

Last edited by pdx1M; May 28, 2012 at 8:44 am
Old May 28, 2012, 9:14 am

As the chinese allegedly say "May you live in interesting times".

It will be very interesting to see how UA does with its transaction based approach vs every other player in the travel/hospitality industry who segments and rewards their customers based on their loyalty.

As for me, I haven't flown United domestic since April beginning. Wont fly UA international either for my upcoming overseas trips. Will cause me inconvenience on some routings, but I will be able to access OneW First lounges to compensate.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mitchmu
It sounds like you still don't understand this.

Go find the recent post under the "Wow, they're sure selling a lot of upgrades" thread.

Someone there shared some information on how SHARES works.

It seems from the post that SHARES has a secret algorithm that nobody is allowed to talk about. That algorithm makes offers based on how much they think they can extract from you.

The perverse logic of this algorithm seems to be that it punishes high value flyers until they can't take it anymore and choose to leave UA for another airline.

If you fly a lot, if you spend a lot, then it knows that you shouldn't get any offers, because it knows they've got your money anyway.

If you fly rarely, and/or you fly on super-cheap fares, it'll make offers, because it knows it can get more out of you. If you're on a $129 fare in the back of the plane in a middle seat next to the bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in 65 years, surely you'll pay $14 to move to E+ or $29 to push a GS out of F.

But, if you're a GS, who pays $1,400 for the same flight, there isn't anything more they can sell to you.

Since the logic doesn't look at lifetime spend, but only values a customer for "how much more" it can extract out of your wallet "right now" this means that high value customers are worthless.

Based on that recent post (plus reading here plus recent experience) this seems to be where we've ended up.

And, how dare you suggest you deserve anything. That is over-entitlement. If you don't fix that attitude, Rainey will surely take the next opportunity to slap you down in public.
I understand fine. You might take a couple deep breaths and reread my post. Im not the enemy here.

As the chinese allegedly say "May you live in interesting times".

It will be very interesting to see how UA does with its transaction based approach vs every other player in the travel/hospitality industry who segments and rewards their customers based on their loyalty.

As for me, I haven't flown United domestic since April beginning. Wont fly UA international either for my upcoming overseas trips. Will cause me inconvenience on some routings, but I will be able to access OneW First lounges to compensate.
The ability to access OneWorld first lounges as an EXP regardless of fare class is a HUGE advantage of OneWorld over *Alliance. I was in the BA first lounge last Friday and they had good champagne (Bollanger Rose and another) out and the staff kept coming by to ask me if they could get me any food from the cook to order menu or more champagne.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 28, 2012 at 9:24 am Reason: merge
Old May 28, 2012, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I understand fine. You might take a couple deep breaths and reread my post. Im not the enemy here.
I'm sorry, Gadget. This was meant to be sarcastic. I understand you completely and don't think you are the enemy. Apologies the sarcasm didn't come across.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'm sorry, Gadget. This was meant to be sarcastic. I understand you completely and don't think you are the enemy. Apologies the sarcasm didn't come across.
Oops, no I didnt get it. No worries, now I do, thanks for the clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.