Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
But I think that is the point. Some people are thinking that the advantages of 1k are becoming less than the advantages of flying competitors, even those without a good FF program.
Some people may be. I am not.

Originally Posted by Beerman92
I must be special because I can fly to 17 destinations non-stop from SFO

Your list is missing DFW, ORD, PDX, PHL and SEA

VX seems to be adding destinations about once every 1-2 months out of SFO
My bad... I misread the route map. You can see it all here for yourself:

http://www.virginamerica.com/travel/flight-routes.html

Originally Posted by 76Patriots
There isn't anything patently false about this response with the exception of the VA (sorry I was using VX before) route map. However, your original thought is patently false. You said the only reason not to choose UA out of SFO is because of spite.....and that is egregiously false.
Thank you for your opinion. (You quote me incorrectly, but, whatever...)

Originally Posted by 76Patriots
To some of the points of your response: (as another poster mentioned) the watering down of the UA benefits is the point of looking elsewhere. It is the give and take of the process, the comparison, the how much can UA take away and still make it the best choice to fly with them. I have been fortunate enough to be Main Cabin Select each VA flight so far. Even the most ardent carrier of Smi/J's water cannot argue this point. VA drubs UA (having a few wide body options is one for UA though).
No idea what you are actually saying here, but again, whatever.

If VA works for you, I am glad.

I fly a lot. From SFO. UA, especially as a 1K, is clearly a far superior alternative to any other option. For me.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:56 pm

1173 posts, nearly 90 thousand views, one measly and mostly unrelated response from UAI. They are just waiting it out until in their mind this has disappeared and then the next bomb will go off. Do they owe us a response? Of course not. But by saying nothing at all COdbaUA is admitting that we are right on target, 1K is being attacked and it's value greatly diminished. You might not have a dedicated 1K line left in the U.S., here in Japan we don't even have a toll free number to call anymore.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

And you are increasingly being deserted on your island.

There is still value to 1K. It is just a materially less beneficial status than it was a year ago. But still has some value.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And you are increasingly being deserted on your island.

There is still value to 1K. It is just a materially less beneficial status than it was a year ago. But still has some value.
Please provide me a comparison with how it stands up to Virgin America's elite status program...

If something works for you, great.

UA works for me.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: United MP Platinum+ / 1Million Miles+ and Flying Blue
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
1173 posts, nearly 90 thousand views, one measly and mostly unrelated response from UAI. They are just waiting it out until in their mind this has disappeared and then the next bomb will go off. Do they owe us a response? Of course not. But by saying nothing at all COdbaUA is admitting that we are right on target, 1K is being attacked and it's value greatly diminished. You might not have a dedicated 1K line left in the U.S., here in Japan we don't even have a toll free number to call anymore.
Use Skype and call the 800 in the USA.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: United MP Platinum+ / 1Million Miles+ and Flying Blue
Originally Posted by reddirt14
So did the CFO ever apologize for his stupid commentary or did he get a bonus? This is a joke of a management team. I can't believe they managed Continental. The shareholders are the biggest idiots for allowing these cowboys in the door - unbelievable!
How about make some t-shirts with something on the front about being "a over entitled customer with a CFO attribution" Best way to make change is put these folks on spot publicly...

Anyone know how to sent up a fund, and get some t-shirts made, I would be happy to contribute! Organize a way to do it for a week, and you might even have the media track it.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Please provide me a comparison with how it stands up to Virgin America's elite status program...

If something works for you, great.

UA works for me.
I can fly in first on Virgin America (VX) for cheaper than I can fly in first on United on domestic routes

Last edited by Beerman92; May 27, 2012 at 1:29 am
Old May 27, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Absolutely. But, honestly, that puts UA pretty much in line with DL & US...
Which now AS has downgraded their "Silvers" as well. Im surprised AA has not reduced baggage benefits... yet....
They really do deserve the FT awards for best US program as it seems everyone else is taking cornerstone benefits away from 25K level (and higher)flyers
Old May 27, 2012, 1:50 pm

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Sounds great where Skype works....
On topic-Last year I received an email while in London in middle of night, called LHR UA # no one home.. Had to Call US # .When I got back to US, called United,was well reimbursed for the $26 call- I really appreciated that-would it still happen? Lets hope so!
Old May 27, 2012, 2:27 pm

I'm guessing they went into this takeover with a playbook and they anticipated the blowback and part of their plan is to ignore us until we get tired of complaining and either adapt to the new reality or leave for other airlines. Rainey said as much (about adapting).

All this discussion and venting has been helpful, but face it, the articles are done. WSJ isn't going to publish a new article each week re-iterating how horrible UA has become and there's bound to be a point where we all get tired of these conversations.

I think they're just waiting it out. They could care less what we think. The only thing that's going to produce a change in behavior is a change in the key metrics they're watching - remember, according to prior FT posts, $mi$ek's $14 million is partly based on hitting specific performance metrics - so in my view, this is about his $14 million - as long as the metrics point towards him getting it, it'll be business as usual - and if not, then I expect he'll make whatever changes he thinks will bring him closer to the $14 million.

Last edited by FlyWorld; May 27, 2012 at 2:40 pm
Old May 27, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'm guessing they went into this takeover with a playbook and they anticipated the blowback and part of their plan is to ignore us until we get tired of complaining and either adapt to the new reality or leave for other airlines. Rainey said as much (about adapting).
Remember, we can also move our business elsewhere. I used to give 100% of my TATL and majority of my domestic flights; these days not so much. I am p***ed seeing the W/L of #1 of 30 on UDU and RDU not even clearing.
Old May 27, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Remember, we can also move our business elsewhere. I used to give 100% of my TATL and majority of my domestic flights; these days not so much. I am p***ed seeing the W/L of #1 of 30 on UDU and RDU not even clearing.
Same here. I am evaluating *A for all my TATL and TPAC flights. First time in my lifetime with UA that I've even considered that as an option. Until recent events, I was 100% loyal to UA/UA metal.

Last edited by FlyWorld; May 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm
Old May 27, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by pixmotion
How about make some t-shirts with something on the front about being "a over entitled customer with a CFO attribution" Best way to make change is put these folks on spot publicly...

Anyone know how to sent up a fund, and get some t-shirts made, I would be happy to contribute! Organize a way to do it for a week, and you might even have the media track it.
United
C alling
F requentflyers
O ver-entitled
Old May 27, 2012, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Three words:

They don't care.

With consolidation, there is limited choice. Will they lose a few customers to AA and DL? Yes. But that is a calculated risk. But between AA being in bankrupcy and DL offering Skypesos, UA will attract replacements. They believe people like FlyerTalkers are not high-margin unless they are high-revenue GS.

If elite customers deliver the same margins as kettles, then they can extract additional revenue from kettles than they can from elites because elites are entitled to additional services that they can sell to kettles. Thus kettles become higher-margin, and they'd rather fill the planes with kettles than with over-entitled elites.

COdbaUA clearly has no interest in loyalty from anyone other than highest revenue customers (GS). It is a fundamental shift in strategy, and unless elite flyers really leave, they will be rewarded by continued loyalty from people who complain but don't really do anything about it.

Total spent on UA in 2012: $0.
Old May 27, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
I'm going to do better than leaving, I'm going to stay on UA, flying every week, and continue to book <$350 tickets each week since I only fly domestic and I book 3-4 weeks in advance. As long as I get an exit row I'm happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.