Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
United's Image Problem

I was just watching a news story about SW getting approved to build an international terminal in Houston, much to UA's chagrin. They played a clip of a woman, I think a UA spokesperson or manager, stating that they are going to immediately plan job cuts and reduced flight to the area.

It's frustrating to see UA's image decline. There are obviously reasonable business considerations behind their decisions. What I don't understand is why they frame things in a way that seem almost punitive. Instead of saying they want to bring elite benefits in-line with competitors, they claim it's most valuable customers are "over-entitled". Or threatening employees with a job cut over a vote out of their control, instead of reducing their workforce over reduced demand once the competitive terminal opens in 2015.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
They never said their most-valuable customers were over-entitled.

They said their least-valuable customers (Silver Elites) were over-entitled.

With the new Silver "benefits", they're hopefully no-longer the least-valuable customers.

(And I say this as someone who started the year out Silver.)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Fair enough. I should have said "valuable" customers. I guess I wrongly assumed they were speaking of the million milers as well.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by raehl311

FALSE. They said certain Mileage Plus members were over-entitled. They LATER qualified that by saying it was Silvers, but I don't believe that for a second.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oenophilist
FALSE. They said certain Mileage Plus members were over-entitled. They LATER qualified that by saying it was Silvers, but I don't believe that for a second.
+1 - their actions speak louder than words, and they have taken action against every single elite level (even GS, though that's more unofficial)
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL

With the new Silver "benefits", they're hopefully no-longer the least-valuable customers.

I assume that he means all elites because of

2P -
lose advanced E+ selection.
lose 1 free bag

1P -
lose 50% bonus miles
CPU window from 72 hours to 48 hours

0P -
lose 25% bonus miles
CPU window from 96 hours to 72 hours

1K -
lose 4 CR1s each year
lose the dedicate 1K phone line
change of the priority boarding
CPU window from 100 hours to 96 hours

1MM -
lose 2 CR1s
lose 50% bonus
downgrade 1 tier

GS -
please ask how they feel...
Before it was God's Service and now is Get treat as S.....

BTW, and the city of Houston since they want to cut jobs there...
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Right now, whatever UA does to "clean up" its image, short term, is kind of like when your dog has runny poo, and you take your poo bag and pick it up, but there remains a mushy mess that there's really nothing you can do about it, because you don't have a hose.

The remaining ick is the new UA, after its apologies. Until they get a professional cleaner, we remain with ick.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The Houston council decision was more likely the result of seeing CO move its head office to UA's HQ in Chicago instead of running the merged airline from Texas. There is pettiness on both sides, but no one can be as petty as a Texas politician!
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Shareholder
The Houston council decision was more likely the result of seeing CO move its head office to UA's HQ in Chicago instead of running the merged airline from Texas. There is pettiness on both sides, but no one can be as petty as a Texas politician!
Well there was the factor SW / WN is covering all the costs -- under those circumstances how could an governing body say no?? but this is all discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ice-hobby.html
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

So why were 1K benefits cut?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 3, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reason: unnecdessary
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pigx5
I assume that he means all elites because of

2P -
lose advanced E+ selection.
lose 1 free bag

1P -
lose 50% bonus miles
CPU window from 72 hours to 48 hours

0P -
lose 25% bonus miles
CPU window from 96 hours to 72 hours

1K -
lose 4 CR1s each year
lose the dedicate 1K phone line
change of the priority boarding
CPU window from 100 hours to 96 hours

1MM -
lose 2 CR1s
lose 50% bonus
downgrade 1 tier

GS -
please ask how they feel...
Before it was God's Service and now is Get treat as S.....

BTW, and the city of Houston since they want to cut jobs there...
I agree that on paper the benefits are less. But I also think the previous benefits were not justified by the value of the business. (I'll exclude GS because I don't understand that program well.)

As "bad" as those benefits are, they are still net-better than Delta, which is why I'm still flying UA. Sure, you might say, "But UA has a 50% bonus for golds and Delta has 100%!" but the reality is for every mile you fly on DL, you get 2 miles, and every mile you fly on UA you get 1.5 miles, and 1.5 UA miles are worth more than 2 DL miles, so you're still better off on UA.

UA's network is larger. They are price-competitive. They are product-competitive, with the exception of WiFi roll-out.

UA is by far more competitive on the E+ front. Good luck to DL silvers selecting E+ on a DL flight from Atlanta to LA at any time frame.

Your "complaint" about the loss of CR1's for 1ks is also a bit silly, as you're not comparing apples to apples. CR1s originally existed in an instrument-upgrade system. Now UA is unlimited domestic upgrades, so CR1s are kind of a relic. For a GS/1km the only place they're really useful is P.S. and Hawaii. I have two now and I have nothing to do with them - I'm already going to upgrade ahead of everyone else who doesn't have CR1s.

So sure, CR1s down, but upgrades up.

The reality is that UA has a competitive FF program. The game overall has just gotten worse. But if you don't like UA's program, DL or AA would be happy to have you.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
They moved the headquaters to Chicago yet it seems most of the airline is being run by CO managers. Also the Web Site basically is the former CO one.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Also the Web Site basically is the former CO one.
I think that's a given since they announced that they are going with SHARES. If they went with Apollo, I would've expected them to keep the PMUA site to save money.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
I think that's a given since they announced that they are going with SHARES. If they went with Apollo, I would've expected them to keep the PMUA site to save money.
The last iteration of pmUA site was actually quite decent. No talk of .bomb for years Then, in an instant, they turned the clock back to 2000 in terms of functionality and user experience. Good job, CIO/CTO. Oh right the last one quit because he foresaw the cluster that would ensure. Just another issue SMI/J is ultimately responsible for. What a terrible leader.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 3, 2012 at 6:05 pm Reason: language
Old Jun 3, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
Then, in an instant, they turned the clock back to 2000 in terms of functionality and user experience.
how so? I've seen quite a few PMUAers say they like the "new" united site. What in particular do you think is from "2000"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.