Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United CFO Rainey Implies Certain Elites were "Over Entitled".

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
A few off the top of my head that personally affect me:
  • No more 1k Security line or AA outlet
  • No more red carpet to separate gate lice
  • Companion upgrades are a total snafu
  • Involuntary record splitting screws up family travel and leaves children seated alone
  • Elimination of SWUs on certain LH fares
  • Use of old 777-200s on 10-hour SFO-LHR-SFO flights

When you look at it, 1K really offers very little to the corporate traveler who flies in paid C for international, except some bonus miles. And many other carriers offer a better product, particularly for TPAC.

That was silly - when your status runs out (no soft landing here) you will need your Visa to get the same preferred boarding and other benefits that you get as 1K (assuming you still fly UA).
Then fly these other carries that offer better service. But i suspect you cant as a corporate traveler since your company is footing the bills with their corporate contact. If these are your worse gripes these days really not much to complain about since your not paying anyway.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Some people may be. I am not.

My bad... I misread the route map. You can see it all here for yourself:

http://www.virginamerica.com/travel/flight-routes.html

Thank you for your opinion. (You quote me incorrectly, but, whatever...)

No idea what you are actually saying here, but again, whatever.

If VA works for you, I am glad.

I fly a lot. From SFO. UA, especially as a 1K, is clearly a far superior alternative to any other option. For me.
Superb dodge in the "you quote me incorrectly, but, whatever". Yes, I expressed your intent instead of quoting you. Quoting you this time, "The only reason to not fly UA out of SFO is 1) spite or 2) I am a kayaker"
And as stated previously, your 'quoted' statement is patently false. But as my words seem indecipherable to you ("No idea what you are actually saying"), how about totally wrong? Absolutely incorrect? However, superb pivot to it simply now being a "clearly superior" choice for you.

UA may clearly be the superior choice for you (it is clearly superior as a 1k or not according to your statement?). It is not going to clearly be a superior choice for most (1k or not). However, for most out of SFO, UA remains a viable option that has some advantages and some disadvantages. The disadvantages have grown with recent changes to MP...... but it still maintains some advantages. That isn't a UA water carrying statement or a statement made out of spite. That is just the truth....

Last edited by 76Patriots; May 29, 2012 at 2:53 am
Old May 29, 2012, 8:16 am

When you look at it, 1K really offers very little to the corporate traveler who flies in paid C for international, except some bonus miles. And many other carriers offer a better product, particularly for TPAC.
A corporate traveler who flies in paid C is a fortunate person in these times...

I agree, under these conditions there are superior International carriers.

I would still fly a *A carrier under these conditions (when possible) and credit to UA.

Originally Posted by 76Patriots
However, for most out of SFO, UA remains a viable option that has some advantages and some disadvantages. The disadvantages have grown with recent changes to MP...... but it still maintains some advantages. That isn't a UA water carrying statement or a statement made out of spite. That is just the truth....
I agree with this statement.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by grahampros
Then fly these other carries that offer better service. But i suspect you cant as a corporate traveler since your company is footing the bills with their corporate contact. If these are your worse gripes these days really not much to complain about since your not paying anyway.
Actually I can - which is something that is apparently not understood by UA management. So long as the fares are comparable (and they often are) I can structure my trips to take LH via FRA or MUC. Or perhaps SQ or OS heading west, and EK and QR to the middle east. The system is also pushing WN for certain domestic itineraries.

Corporate travelers are not as handcuffed as one thinks. I expect UA will see a great deal of attrition when LH and AA finish upgrading the business class cabins. But management seems more obsessed with finding new revenue a la $100 TOD upgrades rather than taking care of existing elites. Not a smart way to do business.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
You mean like all of those high-frequency, non-hub, point-to-point short-haul routes United flies with industry-leading seat pitch at every row in the main cabin, along with two free checked bags per customer?

Oh wait ... my bad.

Oh right! It's those high fares they're charging now since Southwest's fuel hedges ran out. <smack forehead>
I don't think Southwest's state of domicile has anything to do with its product offering.

Originally Posted by Dr_Adventure
If you don't think that different states have different cultures - you are not paying attention. If you can not see the difference between CO and UA cultures - you have not been paying attention.

Southwest is a fine airline for what it is - it has a different business model - and COdbaUA seems to be emulating that model.
I never said that different states have different cultures. However, trying to insinuate that larger corporations with management and employees based in many states and countries have cultures determined by the state where headquartered is absurd.

Quite frankly, trying to make blanket (negative) insinuations about Texans is insulting and ignorant.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
This "over entitled" elite decided to start trying Alaska Airlines this week.

Their first class is actually pretty nice. Friendly flight attendants, and actually a decent beer on board!

Oh, and I don't have to fight my way through the first class boarding lane.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:09 pm

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Hmmm... Internet Explorer-My MSN Stock Quotes

United/Continental Airlines

No symbols match your entry.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by stephenbgarvan
Hmmm... Internet Explorer-My MSN Stock Quotes

United/Continental Airlines

No symbols match your entry.
UAL: United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE)

http://www.bing.com/finance/search?q...TPFSA&qpvt=UAL

Up about 3.00 since 3/3....
Old May 29, 2012, 3:37 pm

Location: Sandpoint,Idaho- previously- Colorado, NYC, New England, SC
Programs: United Millionmiler 1/Star Alliance Gold, National Emerald Executive for Life, Best Western Platinum
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
UAL: United Continental Holdings Inc (NYSE)

http://www.bing.com/finance/search?q...TPFSA&qpvt=UAL

Up about 3.00 since 3/3....
Thanks -it just struck me as ironic that it couldnt be found..
Old May 29, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
  • Involuntary record splitting screws up family travel and leaves children seated alone

There are strong reasons for 1Ks on TPAC to consider other airlines:

There are now new disadvatages of 1K flying UA for TPAC when a connection occurs at NRT. With 2-3 hours connection time between flights, it used to be that after 20 -30 minutes going through the security we can relax at RCC or NH lounge to recover from the last long flight, possibly taking a shower, and reboard the next flight to a more distant destination. The new boarding procedure pretty much removed the shower, as one has to rush to the next boarding gate one hour ahead to avoid the boarding mess, leaving little time for the lounge visit. This has significantly increased the pain of flying UA throught its international hubs, and this is one of the main reasons I started to fly more direct routes operated by other, better airlines when available. The other main reason is that GPUs are much more difficult to use in the new UA system. I ended up flying Z fare more often. And then why don't I just fly Z fares on other, better Asian airlines? Thus the reason for 1Ks to fly UA diminishes greatly since the merge.
Old May 29, 2012, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
There are strong reasons for 1Ks on TPAC to consider other airlines:

There are now new disadvatages of 1K flying UA for TPAC when a connection occurs at NRT. With 2-3 hours connection time between flights, it used to be that after 20 -30 minutes going through the security we can relax at RCC or NH lounge to recover from the last long flight, possibly taking a shower, and reboard the next flight to a more distant destination. The new boarding procedure pretty much removed the shower, as one has to rush to the next boarding gate one hour ahead to avoid the boarding mess, leaving little time for the lounge visit. This has significantly increased the pain of flying UA throught its international hubs, and this is one of the main reasons I started to fly more direct routes operated by other, better airlines when available. The other main reason is that GPUs are much more difficult to use in the new UA system. I ended up flying Z fare more often. And then why don't I just fly Z fares on other, better Asian airlines? Thus the reason for 1Ks to fly UA diminishes greatly since the merge.
And don't forget that several Asian carriers offer premium economy. So if you are going to be in coach that is a much better option. I can't see flying UA transpacific unless there is a VERY good chance of the upgrade clearing.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:43 pm

I'm certainly the last person to defend COdbaUA, but I have a few questions on this:

1. Was there ever a dedicated 1K security line at SFO? To my knowledge (and SFO is my home airport), there was always a Premier Line (with 30-45 minute wait time during peak travel periods), a GS line, and a line for kettles. Unless I missed something, I've never known about a 1K security line at SFO.

2. How does the red carpet make a difference? They still call 1K ahead of kettles, right? (Except for kettles who bought into F for $29 of course, which is probably half the cabin).

3. In fairness, companion upgrades have always been a snafu, even under UA.

4. Are records split involuntarily or do you have a choice?

5. SWUs are nearly worthless anyway, especially on LH. Does it really matter?

6. Hasn't UA been flying those old 777's on that route since before 3/3?
Old May 29, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
All good conversation, but we may be straying off point. Did the CFO ever apologize to his dedicated customers for such a rude statement?
Old May 29, 2012, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by reddirt14
All good conversation, but we may be straying off point. Did the CFO ever apologize to his dedicated customers for such a rude statement?
More likely to get a private back slap & an "atta boy!" from $misek than ever make a public apology
Old May 29, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I'm certainly the last person to defend COdbaUA, but I have a few questions on this:

1. Was there ever a dedicated 1K security line at SFO? To my knowledge (and SFO is my home airport), there was always a Premier Line (with 30-45 minute wait time during peak travel periods), a GS line, and a line for kettles. Unless I missed something, I've never known about a 1K security line at SFO.

2. How does the red carpet make a difference? They still call 1K ahead of kettles, right? (Except for kettles who bought into F for $29 of course, which is probably half the cabin).

3. In fairness, companion upgrades have always been a snafu, even under UA.

4. Are records split involuntarily or do you have a choice?

5. SWUs are nearly worthless anyway, especially on LH. Does it really matter?

6. Hasn't UA been flying those old 777's on that route since before 3/3?
Perhaps I can provide answers to the following:

1. SFO International used to have a premium security line that is for GS/FC/1K only. The same line now is for everyone with kind of status including credit card holders. It changes from the fastest line to sometimes the slowest line, with more people in it than the regular line.

2. The red carpet with the by-pass makes a huge difference to me, not so much at SFO (though still unpleasant for a elite heavy big bird) but very much so when connecting at an international UA hub after a long, tiring overwater flight. See my post (#1242)a few positions above.

5. SWU was not worthless pre-merging. It becomes nearly worthless only after CO takes over.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
And don't forget that several Asian carriers offer premium economy. So if you are going to be in coach that is a much better option. I can't see flying UA transpacific unless there is a VERY good chance of the upgrade clearing.
Absolutely. These premium Economy offers seats that resemble smaller BC seats with increased recline, leg/foor support, and also better meal and cabin service. rather than merely three inches extra leg room as in UA's E+.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.