Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I don't think *A can pay an entry fee into the GFL.
The operating airline of a ticketed passenger pays a fee for lounge entry by their passenger to the airline running the lounge. This is not payment by the pax, but by the partner airline for each pax admitted.
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Re: LHR UA built/operate it but it is branded the Star Alliance Lounge...I imagine part of it is they are able to make $ off the other *A carriers who send their pax to it?
At the new LHR terminal it is a United Club with a GFL. The United Club I'm sure is a *G lounge but it's definitely a United Club. With the move I think the Star Alliance lounge has closed.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I thought the original person posting that meant a *A pax, but re-reading it did look like they meant *A Airline.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
However, they just opened a pretty nice GFL at LHR. So why not put one at EWR and IAH?
True, but at the same time the killed the GFL at LAX!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Physically it may be slightly larger - but as far as I know none have been delivered in a three class configuration - economically it just doesn't make sense....
Kacee - just realized I wasn't clear.... If you look at the pax capacity of the 787 it already carries less pax than the existing UA 767 fleet - so I doubt that they would ever consider making it a three class bird - just not enough seats after making way for 1st class - IMO. It's always been odd to me that althought the plane is dimensionally larger it's pax capacity as delivered is lower than the planes it is replacing????

In the end - I think the future of GF is a slow, drawn out death but will hold out hope when their new planes are finally delivered...
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by cesco.g
True, but at the same time the killed the GFL at LAX!
True, but they did that in part because they closed the UC at T6 and the UC in T7 is bursting at the seams. They are due to build a new bigger club. We'll see if a GFL comes back.

They also have very little international service at LAX. 1 LHR 1 NRT 1 PVG and SYD MEL flight is it. NRT PVG and MEL are 2-class aircraft. EWR and IAH have far more international service than LAX. LAX does have more celebrities. Wonder what they'll do for them.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: Delta MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, United Premier Silver
Can anyone compare the Global First Lounge to a Centurion Lounge? I will be flying out of the SFO next year and I believe the SFO Centurion Lounge will be available when I fly -- so I will have a choice. Which is better?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pacheco18
Can anyone compare the Global First Lounge to a Centurion Lounge? I will be flying out of the SFO next year and I believe the SFO Centurion Lounge will be available when I fly -- so I will have a choice. Which is better?
Food: hit-or-miss on what's better
Drink: Centurion with full bar, bartender; GFL decent bar & serve yourself
Crowd: Cent much more likely to be crowded than GFL.

Those are the main comparators that come to mind, kinda depends on what you want. As of tomorrow, SFO will be the only airport that has both, so hasn't been an issue so far for me: GFL in ORD, HKG, LAX, SFO, IAD vs Cent in LAS, DFW, LGA.

Just my 2c.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, United Premier Silver
Thanks -- are the two lounges located near one another?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by pacheco18
Thanks -- are the two lounges located near one another?
5-10 minute walk at most. I'm arriving at SFO tomorrow right when Centurion opens, so expecting a madhouse and a likely retreat to GFL.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
True, but they did that in part because they closed the UC at T6 and the UC in T7 is bursting at the seams. They are due to build a new bigger club. We'll see if a GFL comes back.

They also have very little international service at LAX. 1 LHR 1 NRT 1 PVG and SYD MEL flight is it. NRT PVG and MEL are 2-class aircraft. EWR and IAH have far more international service than LAX. LAX does have more celebrities. Wonder what they'll do for them.
Not heard anything, that the GFL will be back after remodelling.

At LAX GFL also served GS customers on p.s. flights to JFK, in addition to international flights.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I have been allowed into the ORD GFL many times when flying out of ORD on NH on J - perhaps they know me too well....
Lucky. I've been refused in SFO when flying LX
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Food: hit-or-miss on what's better
Drink: Centurion with full bar, bartender; GFL decent bar & serve yourself
Crowd: Cent much more likely to be crowded than GFL.

Those are the main comparators that come to mind, kinda depends on what you want. As of tomorrow, SFO will be the only airport that has both, so hasn't been an issue so far for me: GFL in ORD, HKG, LAX, SFO, IAD vs Cent in LAS, DFW, LGA.

Just my 2c.
If it's anything like DFW, the new CL in SFO will be pretty sparsely occupied until word catches on. DFW is now moderately crowded most of the day, but those first two months were fantastic.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax

If it's anything like DFW, the new CL in SFO will be pretty sparsely occupied until word catches on. DFW is now moderately crowded most of the day, but those first two months were fantastic.
Visited CL twice today, was quite busy both times, but found a seat. Will re-check next week.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:47 am

Programs: UA1K
I was flying on a UA award ticket on ANA First Class from IAD to NRT today. The night before I had been on the same award ticket LAX-IAD in UA First. Surely I would be admitted to the IAD Global First Lounge based on my Star Alliance First Class ticket without any hesitation. Not! The lounge receptionist said I did not qualify by flying ANA First departing from IAD. Shen then directs me to the UC down the concourse. I held my stance (and cool) and reminded her that Star Alliance International First gets access (and didn't feel like reciting her all the details of her own company's policy on the website about the requirement of long-haul segments). She wasn't rude but she was persistent and so was I. Then, she asks me if I flew in on UA First, so I produce my LAX-IAD boarding pass, and voila, I was admitted just like that. I nearly burst out laughing right on the spot; a UA domestic first ticket got (or helped to get) me in the Global First Lounge but not my ANA first class ticket to NRT? The ANA first class ticket alone is all that is required, right?

Can someone high up and in authority please remind Global First Lounge staff how to apply their own policies. It's very embarrassing when customers know the policy better than the employees who should.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by harryhood
Lucky. I've been refused in SFO when flying LX
Yes I know.... Was granted access today to the NRT GFL lounge today on an Asiana ticket (rebooked after UA stranded me here in Tokyo) - but again they know me well in NRT....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.