Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drvannostren
YVR-ORD-GRU (biz to ORD first to GRU) I should be able to use the GFL at ORD correct?

On the way back it's GRU-IAH-YYC-YVR (first to IAH, econ to YYC ,biz to YVR) will I be able to use the GFL at IAH? Or just the regular UC?
Yes at ORD.

There is no F lounge at IAH. United Club only. Suggest using the Terminal E club, it has showers.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I believe the answer is gonna be mixed, but I wanna ask the experts rather than get a denial from an agent and face that humiliation!

Award ticket

YVR-ORD-GRU (biz to ORD first to GRU) I should be able to use the GFL at ORD correct?

On the way back it's GRU-IAH-YYC-YVR (first to IAH, econ to YYC ,biz to YVR) will I be able to use the GFL at IAH? Or just the regular UC?

Thanks gang!

EDIT: Wow I just assumed IAH had a GFL based on it being a main hub for UA, just noticed on the website it's not listed.

There are a lot of confusion when it comes to First Class, to gain access into the GFL you must in Global First, so if your flight between ORD-GRU is in Global First and not Business First (two completely different products) then yes, you should have access into the GFL lounge at ORD, BTW, it is hidden..

Before the merger CO did not have FC, they had BF (Business First) this is why there is no GFL lounge at IAH... BTW, I wasn't aware of GF flights out of and into IAH.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
There are a lot of confusion when it comes to First Class, to gain access into the GFL you must in Global First, so if your flight between ORD-GRU is in Global First and not Business First (two completely different products) then yes, you should have access into the GFL lounge at ORD, BTW, it is hidden..
GS members traveling on UA in J can access the GFL too. But not if they are traveling J on another carrier.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:26 am

I am flying the same day as a friend who is flying ORD-FRA in GF. I am flying BA to London 2hours later. Will I be allowed to accompany my friend as a guest into the GF Lounge even though I am not flying UA or a *A partner?

I understand that when he goes for his flight I will have to leave and make my way to T5 and 2 hours is plenty of time.
thanks
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by PJV33
I am flying the same day as a friend who is flying ORD-FRA in GF. I am flying BA to London 2hours later. Will I be allowed to accompany my friend as a guest into the GF Lounge even though I am not flying UA or a *A partner?

I understand that when he goes for his flight I will have to leave and make my way to T5 and 2 hours is plenty of time.
thanks
I do not believe that you will be allowed in as a guest.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by harryhood
GS members traveling on UA in J can access the GFL too. But not if they are traveling J on another carrier.
I have been allowed into the ORD GFL many times when flying out of ORD on NH on J - perhaps they know me too well....
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
IAH is a former CO hub and pmCO had no international first class seats at the time of the merger. Same with EWR.
AHHH...I knew this, but didn't think of it. Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
IAH is a former CO hub and pmCO had no international first class seats at the time of the merger. Same with EWR.
Although 4 years later, and with cross-fleeting, and with Star Alliance... UA could decide to standardize its offering across hubs. There are 3-class UA and *A aircraft serving EWR and IAH, and if it's a GS benefit when traveling in international C, then UA could stand to add a GFL in EWR and IAH, both of which have tons of international service.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by seacarl
Although 4 years later, and with cross-fleeting, and with Star Alliance... UA could decide to standardize its offering across hubs. There are 3-class UA and *A aircraft serving EWR and IAH, and if it's a GS benefit when traveling in international C, then UA could stand to add a GFL in EWR and IAH, both of which have tons of international service.
ALL very true. IMO, it doesn't matter since the HouCrew will likely turn the airline back into a 2 class operation.
Why bother with the costs of adding GFL's?

Dave
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bseller
ALL very true. IMO, it doesn't matter since the HouCrew will likely turn the airline back into a 2 class operation.
Yup. Just look at how they're configuring the 788s and 789s.

The only reason to keep the GFLs long-term would be as rebranded Global Services lounges. Which UA might well do, since that's the one passenger segment they actually seem to care about.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yup. Just look at how they're configuring the 788s and 789s.

The only reason to keep the GFLs long-term would be as rebranded Global Services lounges. Which UA might well do, since that's the one passenger segment they actually seem to care about.
Yep - although I'm not sure that the 787 is a good proxy for future strategy at UA as the plane is too small for 3 class service it's clear that unless you are GS - UA would rather sell a seat to a kettle for $39 than reward and recognize their most frequent fliers....
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yep - although I'm not sure that the 787 is a good proxy for future strategy at UA as the plane is too small for 3 class service it's clear that unless you are GS - UA would rather sell a seat to a kettle for $39 than reward and recognize their most frequent fliers....
I believe the 789 is quite a bit larger than the 763.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by bseller
Why bother with the costs of adding GFL's?

Dave
They definitely seem headed in the direction of creating a 2-class airline. We'll know for sure when we see how the A350's are laid out.

However, they just opened a pretty nice GFL at LHR. So why not put one at EWR and IAH?

Right, GS traveling in premium class plus *A who pay an entry fee... And they wouldn't have created this benefit for GS if they had plans to close the lounges. Given that they built one in LHR and how crowded the EWR lounges are during the international departure times...

I can't quite figure out how to interpret those tea leaves
Old Nov 3, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I don't think *A can pay an entry fee into the GFL.

Re: LHR UA built/operate it but it is branded the Star Alliance Lounge...I imagine part of it is they are able to make $ off the other *A carriers who send their pax to it?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:03 pm

I believe the 789 is quite a bit larger than the 763.
Physically it may be slightly larger - but as far as I know none have been delivered in a three class configuration - economically it just doesn't make sense....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.