Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Found it! Thank you, it's quite hidden!
Darn it. No guesting in people, then leaving....

(Laser sailor crawling back under his bridge )
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by RJNYC
"Good" is relative. When compared to the Terminal C/D United Clubs, the IAD GFL is positively luxurious.
This is true. I guess the GFL "sucks the least" at IAD... I am typing this from the ANA Busines Lounge at Haneda on my way to Singapore - now this is what a UC should be!
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just a reminder - I'm happy to guest into the LHR T2 Global First lounge on the afternoon of the 28th October ... PM me if you are interested ...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: United GS, AA, SWA, Delta
So why doesnt the largest UA Hub [IAH] have a GFL? I go via Houston many times a year and just that Large dated lounge between Term E/D.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdeclair
So why doesnt the largest UA Hub [IAH] have a GFL? I go via Houston many times a year and just that Large dated lounge between Term E/D.
i thought most of the gfl traffic was from int'l F travel. IAH does not have much international travel(mexico and canada are not considered int'l).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Simple answer - there is no true first class international travel from Houston - the GFL lounges are sort of a legacy leftover from UA hubs as CO never had a real first class option - only "business first" - that's why there isn't any GFL in Newark either.....
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by slawecki
i thought most of the gfl traffic was from int'l F travel. IAH does not have much international travel(mexico and canada are not considered int'l).
UA ex-IAH has tons of int'l traffic to Asia, Europe, S.A., and Africa. It just doesn't have three-class F.

I go via Houston many times a year and just that Large dated lounge between Term E/D.
The Terminal E UC dated? Really? I'll take upstairs in that lounge over any other UC in the country.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:45 pm
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I was there this weekend - for a LONG time unfortunately due to flight delays. You are so right - it is in desperate need of attention and is probably the lowest quality GFL in the system. The only good side is that it is never really crowded...

Food is below average, wine / spirits below average / seating is plentiful but older, and no showers. Come to think of it not sure what is good about it...
Agree. Not sure why anyone would fly GlobalFirst if this is all you get for what you pay for..
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by IADDCA
Agree. Not sure why anyone would fly GlobalFirst if this is all you get for what you pay for..
Because one wants to fly GF. That is the experience I desire. While the lounge is secondary, those that have quiet rooms and showers make the time go by in a very comfortable fashion. Could they be upgraded? Sure.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:41 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Originally Posted by 747FC
Because one wants to fly GF. That is the experience I desire. While the lounge is secondary, those that have quiet rooms and showers make the time go by in a very comfortable fashion. Could they be upgraded? Sure.
That was more of a rhetorical question.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by RJNYC
"Good" is relative. When compared to the Terminal C/D United Clubs, the IAD GFL is positively luxurious.
If you were paid $7.25 an hour and are now paid $15.00 would you say your paycheck is luxurious? Certainly much better.

Luxury is a level of service. Not a relative state.

Not being able to deliver luxury is a big problem with UA's management. The only thing they know about luxury is what it should be priced. When not enough people are willing to pay the luxury price for the not luxurious product their solution is to abandoned a very profitable and desirable by some product instead of improving their product to the level of luxurious.

Rainey made his accurate assessment of GF, that GF is as luxurious as BF. GF is certainly better than BF. UA BF is not luxurious. And if he applied the same analysis to regular lounges to international lounges his conclusion would be the same.

Even Jeff uses additives such as improved and upgrades when talking about the new food offerings. Never says the food he serves is delicious. Just that it is better then what was once offered.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by SwisherTown
Luxury is a level of service. Not a relative state.

Not being able to deliver luxury is a big problem with UA's management. The only thing they know about luxury is what it should be priced. When not enough people are willing to pay the luxury price for the not luxurious product their solution is to abandoned a very profitable and desirable by some product instead of improving their product to the level of luxurious.
This isn't as much a UA thing as it is an American thing. Americans, in general, don't seem to demand luxury as much as other cultures. There are few mass-market service brands that event attempt to deliver luxury in the US let alone be successful at it.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by kenn0223
This isn't as much a UA thing as it is an American thing. Americans, in general, don't seem to demand luxury as much as other cultures. There are few mass-market service brands that event attempt to deliver luxury in the US let alone be successful at it.
Americans don't buy luxury automobiles or dine in fine restaurants or ... ? Not so. The problem is not that there isn't anyone to buy a GF fare as is as Rainey states GF=BF.

In my opinion most Americans don't buy GF just because it is GF. As GF degraded into BF but the price of GF did not follow the same trend, they quit buying the overpriced product.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Americans don't buy luxury automobiles or dine in fine restaurants or ... ? Not so. The problem is not that there isn't anyone to buy a GF fare as is as Rainey states GF=BF.

In my opinion most Americans don't buy GF just because it is GF. As GF degraded into BF but the price of GF did not follow the same trend, they quit buying the overpriced product.
ding ding ding! ^
Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member

There are no doubt Americans who buy luxury hard goods (cars, handbags, etc) and there are fine dining restaurants and boutique hotels that make a killing. My point is that there are no American mass-market service companies that are successful at selling a luxury service no nationwide restaurants, no large hotel chains, and no airlines. There just isn't the demand for it and UA realizes that. My guess is that UA could have a flawless hard and soft , air and ground product and it wouldn't be profitable. UA knows their customers, they know what their customers are willing to pay for, and, my guess, is they know that offering the GF product people here at FT think they should is not a good business for them to be in (and I think they are right).

They already have the GF cabins and the GFLs and if they can convince people to pay a premium for them (either cash, miles, or certs) they likely pay for the small extra staffing (GFLs) and the bit of extra food (GFLs & GF) but there is no reason for them to invest in either. As the cabins get refirbs GF will go away and as airports get rebuilt the GFLs will go away or (more likely) convert to GS lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.