Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by adambrau
I took a LH flight in F to FRA recently, and was directed to the Global First Lounge. The room and bathroom facilities are awful, dated and very small - I was truly surprised. It made me think that Global First is on the way out as no money has been spent on this establishment in a while. Eventually I went down to the refurbished United Club near where the LH flight was departing from and it was a much nicer experience, didn't even mind having to pay for a glass of champagne...
The only ORD United Club that has had a recent refurbishment is over in Terminal 2, where it is mostly United Express Flights...no where near the gates the LH uses at ORD.

Flyerbeek is correct, the ORD GlobalFirst lounge recently went through a refurb....

Link discussing the refurb is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...novations.html
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
The only ORD United Club that has had a recent refurbishment is over in Terminal 2, where it is mostly United Express Flights...no where near the gates the LH uses at ORD.
Depends how you define "recent". The United Club by gate B18 was refurbished a few years ago (5, maybe?) and is up to much nicer standards than the Low-B or C Club.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Originally Posted by uanj
2. Yes, if you are continuing on United. Look for a GFL/GS agent as you step off the plane. ORD is very good with having an agent greet you with a boarding pass which has a sticker inviting you into the GFL before your connection.
+1. Just got this nice treatment at ORD. Now recharging and watching the 9ers beating (hopefully) the Eagles in the small GFL lounge.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just want to share my recent experience at IAD:

Arrived in BF from an international flight and connected onto UX Y, and was able to access GFL between C3 and C5.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:37 am

Programs: GS, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, *gold
Can't find the GFL in ORD. I am in the UC by C16 but understand there is a GFL near here. Can anyone give me a tip how to find?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Can't find the GFL in ORD. I am in the UC by C16 but understand there is a GFL near here. Can anyone give me a tip how to find?
Hang a left out of the UC, walk down ~100 feet, turn left before the big CS counter. Walk a few paces, then turn left again, should be a door there.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by micmcguire
Find the escalators between terminals and once you come up to the top to enter the terminal look to the left of the customer service center - that's the entrance to the GFL.....
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Hang a left out of the UC, walk down ~100 feet, turn left before the big CS counter. Walk a few paces, then turn left again, should be a door there.
Thanks will let you know if I make it!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Find the escalators between terminals and once you come up to the top to enter the terminal look to the left of the customer service center - that's the entrance to the GFL.....
Found it! Thank you, it's quite hidden!
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CMK10
Depends how you define "recent". The United Club by gate B18 was refurbished a few years ago (5, maybe?) and is up to much nicer standards than the Low-B or C Club.
True, I would say B18 is the better of those 3, but I wouldn't call 5 years ago recent. I also like the self-serve fountain soda there. In my mind though, it is in the same style/mode of a former RCC.

The Terminal 2 lounge is in the new, revised style and looks markedly different then the others.

I haven't made it into the ORD GFL yet. From the photos it looks to be done in a somewhat updated style. The IAD version is in desperate need of an overhaul.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:15 am

The IAD version is in desperate need of an overhaul.
I was there this weekend - for a LONG time unfortunately due to flight delays. You are so right - it is in desperate need of attention and is probably the lowest quality GFL in the system. The only good side is that it is never really crowded...

Food is below average, wine / spirits below average / seating is plentiful but older, and no showers. Come to think of it not sure what is good about it...
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:56 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I haven't made it into the ORD GFL yet. From the photos it looks to be done in a somewhat updated style. The IAD version is in desperate need of an overhaul.
Was in the ORD GFL last week, and was underwhelmed. Blandly decorated, no sense of privacy, and mediocre food on display. Booze quality was a step up vs. United Club, but not a lot of choices. Did not have time to order off the menu, but there seemed to be decent choices. Staff was quite pleasant however.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Craig6z
Was in the ORD GFL last week, and was underwhelmed. Blandly decorated, no sense of privacy, and mediocre food on display. Booze quality was a step up vs. United Club, but not a lot of choices. Did not have time to order off the menu, but there seemed to be decent choices. Staff was quite pleasant however.
Don't disagree with you - I'm there four or five times a month. But to me - the staff makes all the difference and they handle any issues with no questions. The shower areas are quite good too - a nice benefit after a 12 hour flight. recently they have recently improved their wine selection and the food ordered off the menu is better than average. Mind you - it's not an EK, SQ, or LH first class lounge - but for UA this is pretty good IMO.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I was there this weekend - for a LONG time unfortunately due to flight delays. You are so right - it is in desperate need of attention and is probably the lowest quality GFL in the system. The only good side is that it is never really crowded...

Food is below average, wine / spirits below average / seating is plentiful but older, and no showers. Come to think of it not sure what is good about it...
Don't forget lazy and inattentive staff. Twice I've been in there and they have started taking away the food and booze half an hour before closing when there are still pax in the lounge. Unacceptable. Worst GFL on all fronts.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Come to think of it not sure what is good about it...
"Good" is relative. When compared to the Terminal C/D United Clubs, the IAD GFL is positively luxurious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.