Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rdeclair
Loving the new GFL @ LHR T2. AlaCart menu is great.
Can you let us know what are the choices on the à-la-carte menu? Thanks !
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K
Tomorrow I fly SFO-HKG in business and then connect HKG-SIN in global first. With this itinerary, would I get GFL access in SFO (sorry if this has been answered I did numerous searches and could not find any definitive answer.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jquinn0501
Tomorrow I fly SFO-HKG in business and then connect HKG-SIN in global first. With this itinerary, would I get GFL access in SFO (sorry if this has been answered I did numerous searches and could not find any definitive answer.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Also posted in the wiki. Generally a 4 hour flight is not considered long haul (and HKG-SIN does not touch U.S. as in the definition) and the fact the phrase long haul is used suggests not all GF flights qualify. However, not having done this personally I can not provide a definitive answer.

Would be interesting to hear your actual experience.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Seriously doubt it, but good luck and safe travels....
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
I've used that lounge four times in the last month. The red wine is better than what's served in GF on the plane. But otherwise, you're not missing much. There's the tired sushi and the noodles with the really fatty beef that you pour hot broth into (the last two times I was there, the broth was cold). Spend $15 in the terminal and you can get better food that you actually like.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If it says "Global First" on your BP they should let you in to the GFL at SFO. Notoriously the most difficult lounge dragons in the system though.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Knowing the crew that works there I would say probably not. But I agree with Kacee, technically you should be able to access so if you try, report back and let us know.

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I've used that lounge four times in the last month. The red wine is better than what's served in GF on the plane. But otherwise, you're not missing much. There's the tired sushi and the noodles with the really fatty beef that you pour hot broth into (the last two times I was there, the broth was cold). Spend $15 in the terminal and you can get better food that you actually like.
The champagne is nice, far better than what they have on board. And my personal favorite is the chicken yakitori. But, sigh, it is not hot meal service....
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by RJ1
If flying UA GF from SFO to PEK, can one access the Air China First Class Lounge upon arrival in Bejing?
No.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
If it says "Global First" on your BP they should let you in to the GFL at SFO. Notoriously the most difficult lounge dragons in the system though.
Curious why you think this since it does not qualify as a long haul from USA GF ticket?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Kacee
Notoriously the most difficult lounge dragons in the system though.
Or stated another way, they are highly effective in limiting access to those with the proper status. As it should be, IMHO. Unless you are advocating poaching, would you really want it any other way?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by 747FC
Or stated another way, they are highly effective in limiting access to those with the proper status. As it should be, IMHO. Unless you are advocating poaching, would you really want it any other way?
SFO GFL is my favorite UA lounge, but they really are dragons. They have rudely and improperly denied me entrance several times. Most of the employees are great, but there are a few that hold their ground even when they know they are wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Flying LAX-SYD (via Seoul). F award ticket to Seoul on Asiana. Does the fact that it's an award ticket preclude me from entering the new star alliance GFL?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by nmprisons
Flying LAX-SYD (via Seoul). F award ticket to Seoul on Asiana. Does the fact that it's an award ticket preclude me from entering the new star alliance GFL?
Nope. You get perks as ticketed unless an airline employee. ^
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nmprisons
Award tickets are the same as paid tickets regarding lounge access.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Thanks! Got nervous re the revenue language on the star alliance page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.