Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ryman554
But any airport when UA F?

Ex: LHR-FRA-SFO.
LHR-FRA in "C" on LH.
FRA-SFO in F on UA. GFL access in LHR (yes!) <and Senator club in FRA>
but FRA-SFO in F on LH. GFL access in LHR (no!) <but FCL in FRA!>

Correct?
Yes, you've got it.

UA GF = UA GFL access at any point on the itinerary.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:58 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, you've got it.

UA GF = UA GFL access at any point on the itinerary.
There have been reports though of that not working though. In fact, a friend of mine was turned away at SFO flying SFO-ORD-LHR with ORD-LHR in UA GF.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CMK10
There have been reports though of that not working though. In fact, a friend of mine was turned away at SFO flying SFO-ORD-LHR with ORD-LHR in UA GF.
Show us a UA rule, someone will have an example of a UA agent misapplying it
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:38 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Show us a UA rule, someone will have an example of a UA agent misapplying it
Once again - and it has been talked about many times here - the agents in the SFO GFL have their own set of rules.

Just take the elevator or walk down the stairs to the club. As they are shouting at you to leave, tell them to call a supervisor Sit down eat, drink, relax until the supervisor comes and then has to apologize for their rude and unprofessional behavior and misapplication of the rules.

BTW, I asked the person in charge of GS at WHQ about this. I was connecting in SFO from SYD back to ORD. I wanted to be certain that I had access to the GFL. He said that GS' absolutely do. In your example, I have connected in IAD to Europe either in GF or as a GS. I absolutely had access to the GFL in ORD. Not even a blink of an eye.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Once again - and it has been talked about many times here - the agents in the SFO GFL have their own set of rules.
Unlike my experience in prior years, I have not had any issues with SFO agents failing to understand entry requirements this year.

One thing I have noticed is the considerable time it takes to validate admission at SFO.

Interestingly at IAD someone on a daily basis prepares a manual log of all potential eligible customers. They simply check the hand written list to validate admission.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Dec 3, 2014 at 12:21 am
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:53 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Interestingly at IAD someone on a daily basis prepares a manual log of all potential eligible customers. They simply check the hand written list to validate admission.
Yes they do and I think it's pretty cool. When I walked in last time they welcomed me by name and said they had been expecting me - it was a nice experience.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yes they do and I think it's pretty cool. When I walked in last time they welcomed me by name and said they had been expecting me - it was a nice experience.
LAX GFL had that too, and I think they google imaged folks as well, as they called me by name when I entered!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
LAX GFL had that too, and I think they google imaged folks as well, as they called me by name when I entered!
Nice, yet still a bit creepy
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If they did that with me they would be in a whole mess trying to figure it out.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
They also had that at JFK last week when I used the "G"FL. Not that JFK is so Global anymore for UA.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:15 pm

I recently flew TG in F HKG-LHR, although TG doesn't have an F cabin on the HKG-BKK leg. I was denied access to the HKG GFL, even though I was on a same-day *A F ticket, since I had to start out in a J seat. Seems like a too-narrow interpretation of some rule.

My agony and humiliation were somewhat reduced because (1) the HKG UA club itself is quite nice and (2) the TG F club at BKK is fantastic!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
I recently flew TG in F HKG-LHR, although TG doesn't have an F cabin on the HKG-BKK leg. I was denied access to the HKG GFL, even though I was on a same-day *A F ticket, since I had to start out in a J seat. Seems like a too-narrow interpretation of some rule.

My agony and humiliation were somewhat reduced because (1) the HKG UA club itself is quite nice and (2) the TG F club at BKK is fantastic!
Were you flying TG F ex-HKG? If so that was a wrongful denial. If you were flying J ex-HKG, it was correct.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:47 pm

Were you flying TG F ex-HKG? If so that was a wrongful denial. If you were flying J ex-HKG, it was correct.
As I mentioned, TG doesn't actually HAVE an F cabin ex-HKG. So on a full F ticket HKG-LHR, you'll be sitting in J from HKG-BKK.

So if I am on a full F ticket HKG-LHR, "am I flying TG F ex-HKG" becomes a teleological question.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
As I mentioned, TG doesn't actually HAVE an F cabin ex-HKG. So on a full F ticket HKG-LHR, you'll be sitting in J from HKG-BKK.
Of course they do - maybe just not on your flight. I flew HKG-BKK a week ago on the 747, which is 3 cabin. The A380 also shows up on that route depending on the day.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold

So if I am on a full F ticket HKG-LHR, "am I flying TG F ex-HKG" becomes a teleological question.
I'm also confused by the fact that you're GS. Don't you get GFL access even on a business flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.