Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mdobbins
I'm also confused by the fact that you're GS. Don't you get GFL access even on a business flight?
That GS benefit is for biz (int'l or PS) on UA metal IIRC
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
HKG has a UA GFL? Can someone confirm this?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
HKG has a UA GFL? Can someone confirm this?
Confirmed - it's right next to the regular HKG UA club.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That GS benefit is for biz (int'l or PS) on UA metal IIRC
That is correct. When I fly from HKG on SQ/NH I am denied access to the GFL - but on UA I'm in...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
And it has better champagne than they serve on board plus Haagen Dazs. What else could you before a 14 hour flight??
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Yes, I've been in the UA F lounge a number of times when flying UA F (or C as GS). It's one room off to the right after you've presented yourself to the desk.

(Nothing at HKG, however, compares to the CX Wing F lounge, when I fly them.)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Of course they do - maybe just not on your flight. I flew HKG-BKK a week ago on the 747, which is 3 cabin. The A380 also shows up on that route depending on the day.
OK, you're right. My connecting flight HKG-BKK wasn't the 747 or 380, and had no F. But:

1) I was flying out of Hong Kong on a *A carrier
2) The fare basis of my ticket was F

So how do I not qualify for GFL admission?

Another example: say I have an F ticket on LH going LHR-FRA-JFK. I'm sitting in J LHR-FRA. Do I not qualify for the LHR GFL? (Leaving aside the fact that I will have rubber ducky access at the LH FCT in FRA and probably won't care about LHR)

Last edited by AlreadyThere; Dec 4, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Wow. Have never tried it even when on TG in F. Usually just sit in the TG roped off F area.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Confirmed - it's right next to the regular HKG UA club.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:54 pm

As a current GS member flying on UA seated in at least C you would have access to the UA GFL at LHR. Since you are not on UA on any leg in your itin can see them deny entry to UA GFL at LHR. As a courtesy they should admit you.

Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
OK, you're right. My connecting flight HKG-BKK wasn't the 747 or 380, and had no F. But:

Another example: say I have an F ticket on LH going LHR-FRA-JFK. I'm sitting in J LHR-FRA. Do I not qualify for the LHR GFL? (Leaving aside the fact that I will have rubber ducky access at the LH FCT in FRA and probably won't care about LHR)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As I mentioned, TG doesn't actually HAVE an F cabin ex-HKG. So on a full F ticket HKG-LHR, you'll be sitting in J from HKG-BKK.

So if I am on a full F ticket HKG-LHR, "am I flying TG F ex-HKG" becomes a teleological question.
I found your post confusing, which is why I asked the follow-up question.

Since you not did have an F boarding pass departing HKG, the denial of F lounge access was correct. The fact you were on an F fare or award is not relevant.

No, you do not. Need F boarding pass departing from that airport.

Here is the specific *A rule:
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
Star Alliance Lounge Access

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 4, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM

You don't qualify because
a) You are not flying in UA F (or, in your case, UA C) later on that same day or arrived in same.
and b) You are not departing HKG in an F cabin.

For your second example, see my question, earlier in the thread.

You'll *either* get GFL access in LHR if you're flyinig FRA-JFK in UA F. OR you'll get your rubber ducky if you're flying FRA-JFK in LH/LX.

Since UA doesn't fly FRA-JFK anymore (ever?), you won't have access to LHR GFL. So sad.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Since you not did have an F boarding pass departing HKG, the denial of F lounge access was correct. The fact you were on an F fare or award is not relevant.
Really? What matters is not whether you have an F ticket, but whether you have an F boarding pass??? How is that phrased in the rule?

So if I had changed my HKG departure -- same ticket, same fare -- to leave on the later A380 connection, the rule lets me in?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Really? What matters is not whether you have an F ticket, but whether you have an F boarding pass??? How is that phrased in the rule?

So if I had changed my HKG departure -- same ticket, same fare -- to leave on the later A380 connection, the rule lets me in?
Yes, assuming you have an F bp. I quoted the rule above.

I can't believe you're still arguing this. The rules are quite clear.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:11 pm

Yes that's correct you would then have access. To give you a further idea how absurd some of these rules are - when I fly from NRT to ICN on a 737 the class of service is called BusinessFirst - and I get access to the GFL at NRT. When I fly from NRT to GUM on the same 737 it is called Business, and I AM NOT allowed in the GFL at NRT. Same fare basis, same plane - different printing on BP - denied...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Really? What matters is not whether you have an F ticket, but whether you have an F boarding pass??? How is that phrased in the rule? ....
star alliance lounge access policy
Customers have access to International First Class and/or any Star Alliance member carriers' own lounges.

Customer must present a boarding pass for travel in International First Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.