Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Guate87
What is this whole PNR auto-splitting thing about?

First, you need to realize there are two separate upgrade waitlists. There's the advance upgrade waitlist, which runs periodically from your applicable upgrade window until about four hours before departure, and the airport waitlist, which is manually cleared by the gate agents about 30 minutes before departure.

The first waitlist can handle an elite and a companion automatically. If you're next in line for an upgrade and there are at least two upgradeable seats available, you'll both get the upgrade.

The second waitlist (the airport one) can only handle upgrading one traveler on a PNR. If there is more than one person in your reservation when you check in, you'll be asked if you want to either split the reservation if waitlisted for CPU or stay on the same reservation and decline being on the gate waitlist. For supported waitlisted upgrades (PPs or Miles) you will not be asked and it will split (without choice) at check-in.

Next, you need to be familiar with United's "auto-check-in" feature. If you select this option when you check in for your original outbound flight (depending on how you check in, it may automatically default to selecting this), then shortly after 24 hours before your return flight segment, you'll automatically be checked in and boarding passes will be electronically delivered to you. discontinued

If you opt for this and the system automatically checks you in, and if you have two people in your reservation, the system will automatically split your reservation. You and your companion will now be on two separate reservations, and you'll be waitlisted for an upgrade and your companion won't.

Why might splitting be bad?

[color=#000000]If your companions are not elite, they will no longer qualify for the elite benefits they inherited from you. That means no free baggage (including credit card companion bag benefit), no Economy Plus seating access (although they won't be booted out of E+ if they're already seated in it, barring irregular operations), no Premier Access, and potential issues in irregular operations as a result of being on a separate reservation (they may be rebooked on a separate flight from you without agent intervention). If you have TSA pre-check your family traveling with you on the same PNR can use the precheck line - which they cannot do if you split. And if you are traveling with children
Print Wikipost

The stupid PNR auto-splitting at T-24 needs to stop

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by adambadam
To confirm. I am 1k, companion is gm. We have a o/w ticket for UA purposes, flying back on a different carrier, on different tix. Upgrade on the first leg cleared at the window. Upgrade on the second leg has not yet cleared. Am I better a) checking in and splitting ASAP, b) waiting a little longer to check in but eventually split or c) check in and not splitting. If I take A my companion ends up on the CPU list but behind all the other 1Ks. If I take B, we might still clear together before it goes to the gate but only if they open up 2 seats otherwise eventually scenario A. If I take C we end up on the same res but the last leg will not clear.

Is my understanding correct? Seems like A is probably the best of the ridiculous hoops.
If you choose A, there is also the chance that you, and others, will clear before your companion does, if the CPU process clears several upgrades, because once you split your companion is not eligible for the in-advance CPU.

In this scenario, I almost always choose B and check in at T-3.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox
If you choose A, there is also the chance that you, and others, will clear before your companion does, if the CPU process clears several upgrades, because once you split your companion is not eligible for the in-advance CPU.

Are you saying just because there might be 1Ks between me and the companion or that they do not get auto-added to the list again? Or is it that they can only clear on the gate list not the pre-flight list if split regardless?
Old Aug 5, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by villox

An update: Went with option B. We cleared together at T-21. Glad it worked out but still not sure I entire understand what would have happened had I gone the option A route.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Ok so the wiki isn't clear: if you choose not to split on the outbound, will the "do not upgrade" appear on the return portion?

Our upcoming flight has low chances of clearing on outbound and i need my companion to keep the baggage benefits, but the return looks promising for both of us to clear and by the conversation of this thread the companion only inherits status if on the same PNR since the 4/15 change.

TIY
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Split PNR problem

Sorry couldn't find the thread on this.

My wife and I are booked on UA 4896 IAD-IAH and then onto IAD. Already upgraded on the second flight.

Did online checkin this morning and my wife is ahead of me one list since her first name is earlier in the alphabet (same last name). She is number 1 on the waitlist (2 seats available) even as her status as 1K is through me). UA splits our PNR and someone else becomes number 2 on the list and I am number 3. 2 seats available, others already checked in.

I called the 1K line and was told that number 2 checked in at the same time as I did. So somehow (s)he beat me out for the upgrade. The 1K line was helpless and clueless. Mr. Munoz, one more thing for you to work on.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
At least we should clarify some of the nuances here.

1. The wife's first name might not be the difference - it might be her e-ticket number. If it's before the OPs, she would be above him on the list.

2. The person sandwiched between them - that aspect is admittedly very odd, but on the non-CPU list (the other list) that person is most likely above or below the both of you.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 13, 2015 at 10:08 am Reason: removed previously deleted quoted post
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by aacharya

1. The wife's first name might not be the difference - it might be her e-ticket number. If it's before the OPs, she would be above him on the list.

2. The person sandwiched between them - that aspect is admittedly very odd, but on the non-CPU list (the other list) that person is most likely above or below the both of you.
So I called again (twice, disconnected the first time). Agent confirms that the upgrades were made by CPUs from my account. She said that she could not tell the status of the person in between us and that I should speak to the GA tomorrow morning.

The agent told me that the PNRs were split on our first set of flights (where we were upgraded on IAD-ORD but in Y on ORD-SLC). But she couldn't explain how I was able to do online checkin for both of us this morning at the same time.

Oh what a tangled web SHARES weaves.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 13, 2015 at 10:08 am Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Sep 13, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya

it is normal that in a split PNR other pax get sandwiched in-between ... that happens all the time.

Last edited by goalie; Sep 13, 2015 at 10:09 am Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My wife and I have a reservation which I booked together, but I had to split it b/c now I have to fly out for business directly from vacation rather than going home. Will my wife still be able to go through at least the normal premier security with me, even though she has a regular Group 4 boarding pass, and even if that means I forego PreCheck this time (I know, the horror, and things we do for our spouses). I have no worries about boarding our flight together in Group 1.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I think that the "do not upgrade" flag has been corrected when you don't split. My wife and I had flights last weekend and didn't clear the CPU prior to check-in on the outbound. I chose not to put us on the UG list (no split of PNR) which in the past made us ineligible for CPU on the return. In this case, the reservation still showed as CPU eligible and at t-48 united.com showed "Upgrade Requested". When we checked in, the mobile app asked if we wanted to put ourselves on the upgrade list. I chose not to given that we are both Gold and there wasn't a prayer of getting the UG.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by euslaner
I called the 1K line and was told that number 2 checked in at the same time as I did. So somehow (s)he beat me out for the upgrade.
I thought that airport upgrades were prioritized by elite status, then by fare paid or EQM (i.e. 1K with 110k EQM > 1K with 102 EQM) and NOT by checkin time. Has that changed? If so I guess we will all have to start doing the WN thing and checkin exactly @ T-24. And even then somebody on a connecting flight could beat you.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I thought that airport upgrades were prioritized by elite status, then by fare paid or EQM (i.e. 1K with 110k EQM > 1K with 102 EQM) and NOT by checkin time. Has that changed? If so I guess we will all have to start doing the WN thing and checkin exactly @ T-24. And even then somebody on a connecting flight could beat you.
YTD EQM has never been a factor (although you heard an occasional agent speculation it is).

Always best to check the source
All travelers on waitlisted Global Premier Upgrades, Regional Premier Upgrades and MileagePlus Upgrade Awards: Prioritized by Premier status of the traveler, then fare class and then time of request
It is thought that the gate uses checkin time / sequence.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
it is normal that in a split PNR other pax get sandwiched in-between ... that happens all the time.
Yup - and I know people have different gripes about CPUs and how they work, but this is by far my biggest. If the PNR gets split, and they know that, and can even figure out the proper bag allowance and premier benefits (IME, they do now), how can they not figure out that we should be next to each other on the list. There have now been several instances where my wife (gold) is several people below me (plat) on the airport upgrade list.

Last time, I cleared CPU and my wife was # 3 or 4 on the list (1 seat left out of YYZ), I mentioned this at check in counter and I asked to have her added as my companion. They said she was already on the list, they don't do that anymore, but to check at the gate. Gate said list is fine and hey can move people up - I said she should be my companion so right behind me on any list. They are contractors, called the help desk who did something to get things done, and I confirmed she was now #1 on the list, and agent said she'd be calling her shortly. Agent then calls someone else, and when I looked at the list then, it appears she moved back to #3.

Originally Posted by tods27
I think that the "do not upgrade" flag has been corrected when you don't split. My wife and I had flights last weekend and didn't clear the CPU prior to check-in on the outbound. I chose not to put us on the UG list (no split of PNR) which in the past made us ineligible for CPU on the return. In this case, the reservation still showed as CPU eligible and at t-48 united.com showed "Upgrade Requested". When we checked in, the mobile app asked if we wanted to put ourselves on the upgrade list. I chose not to given that we are both Gold and there wasn't a prayer of getting the UG.
IME, even with split PNRs and declining the upgrade on the outbound, the 'do not upgrade' flag applies to the gate list only, and not CPU. In the past, I had an outbound which we declined the split on the outbound, and on the return, were upgraded on segment 1 48 hours in advance, but not on the gate list for the connection. If they are actually doing the gate list upgrade flags by direction now, this is definitely an improvement.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Wife and I 1k with 2 pnrs, each with GM

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
YTD EQM has never been a factor (although you heard an occasional agent speculation it is).

Always best to check the source

It is thought that the gate uses checkin time / sequence.
My wife and I are both 1k and are now T96 from outbound, R3, with my wife and I with two PNRs, each with a GM on our PNR, hoping to score four upgrades. I think the best play is for both of us to stay on our PNRs with our GM, then split at check in, but when is the best time to check in and split records. Since it's R3, we will not score four upgrades, IMHO. What is the best play here?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by emcampbe
IME, even with split PNRs and declining the upgrade on the outbound, the 'do not upgrade' flag applies to the gate list only, and not CPU. In the past, I had an outbound which we declined the split on the outbound, and on the return, were upgraded on segment 1 48 hours in advance, but not on the gate list for the connection. If they are actually doing the gate list upgrade flags by direction now, this is definitely an improvement.
In the past (as recent as May of this year), my itineraries would not show as CPU eligible and at check in I would not be asked if I wanted to put anyone on the upgrade list. This was when I declined the upgrade list at check-in on the outbound to avoid splitting the PNR. I still have a problem where I can't put my son on the upgrade list at check-in when traveling with him. It only ever shows me as eligible to be put on the gate list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.