Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoDestinations
Some common reasons for "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight."
  • Bookings made at begin of schedule (aka 330 or so days out) --
    seatmap has not yet been released.
    Wait a week or two and seat selection should become available
  • Pending aircraft change
  • Bookings made within 24 hours of flight will receive this message, check in for flight to select seats
Print Wikipost

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IainC
Not sure if this issue has cropped up up thread but today I tried to select/reserve seats in BF for GPU upgrades that cleared the waitlist for upcoming SFO-SYD and SAN-SFO flights and was unable to do so. Received the following alert:

! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.

Never had this problem before but wondered if there is any workaround other than calling United.
Is the flight at the beginning of schedule, roughly 330 days out? If so this is common and will clear up in a week or two.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is the flight at the beginning of schedule, roughly 330 days out? If so this is common and will clear up in a week or two.
No, the flight is in mid-October, 2016. Will wait a few days and check again.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IainC
No, the flight is in mid-October, 2016. Will wait a few days and check again.
Be on the lookout for an equipment change.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Be on the lookout for an equipment change.
Yes, that seems plausible for the SAN-SFO flight however, would be surprising for the SFO-SYD flight. UA only changed from 777s to 789s on that route in April but there have been constant MX issues with the 789s so who knows - maybe we will even see the 747s back!
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Folks,

I'm having this issue on a recently changed award flight - which has been ticketed and confirmed. Any suggestions? UA CS suggest it is "random", and are otherwise unhelpful.

The only thing I can think of, is I was waitlisted on another flight in the middle of the reservation (prior to these flights), which, kept showing up - although now it has disappeared. Flights are next week, in Intl C
Old Sep 20, 2016, 9:44 am

United Seating for 8/18/17 International Flight

I just booked my flights for next August, but United's system won't allow me to select seats for the United flights on my journey, despite booking them on the UA website. Given that the flights are nearly 11 months into the future, at what point will I be able to select my seats? Two calls to UA resulted in varying answers, the best of which was a very unsatisfactory "just keep calling". FWIW, the routing involves Copenhagen/Frankfurt/SFO/EUG. First leg is LH, other legs UA.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
While one can book flights 330 days in advance, selecting seats and having the seat assignment stick for those flights is a known issue as "not everything has loaded into the system" yet but keep checking on a daily basis as your seat assignments should eventually stick within a week to ten days to two weeks after you've booked your ticket
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Wow, I thought I planned in advance It also may be due to Polaris update and UA not really knowing which plan or seating plan may be on your flight. I would just relax for a spell. August 2017 is a long ways away.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
That far in advance, you'll probably get your first pick of seats no matter what!

Also, in the chance that you were maybe hoping to do so, you can't pick seats on an LH flight on UA's site, even on a UA reservation. However, you can sometimes find the LH record locator in your UA reservation and look it up on LH's site to select a seat.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by char777
Also, in the chance that you were maybe hoping to do so, you can't pick seats on an LH flight on UA's site, even on a UA reservation. However, you can sometimes find the LH record locator in your UA reservation and look it up on LH's site to select a seat.
100% can't do LH seat assignments on the UA site, but for an intra-EU flight, does LH even allow seat selection at all? Last time I had an intra-EU segment on LH (LHR-MUC, it was a while ago, though, fall 2013, IIRC) the fact I was on 016 stock was irrelevant, there was no seat selection allowed, even if you wanted to pay for it. Maybe things have changed, but at that time, seat selection for intra-EU was only available at online check in - believe the only exception was for HON members who could do it in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by goalie
While one can book flights 330 days in advance, selecting seats and having the seat assignment stick for those flights is a known issue as "not everything has loaded into the system" yet but keep checking on a daily basis as your seat assignments should eventually stick within a week to ten days to two weeks after you've booked your ticket
^. Give it a week or two and the seat assignments should stick, nothing to be concerned about. However, it is rather likely that aircraft types or schedule will change between now and then, so it's always good to check on your reservation periodically.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
100% can't do LH seat assignments on the UA site, but for an intra-EU flight, does LH even allow seat selection at all? Last time I had an intra-EU segment on LH (LHR-MUC, it was a while ago, though, fall 2013, IIRC) the fact I was on 016 stock was irrelevant, there was no seat selection allowed, even if you wanted to pay for it. Maybe things have changed, but at that time, seat selection for intra-EU was only available at online check in - believe the only exception was for HON members who could do it in advance.
I'm pretty sure you're right as that mirrors my experience with trying to choose seats on LH/SN. I'm not sure whether it's different on higher fare classes.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
does LH even allow seat selection at all?
Yes. It depends on cabin and fare-class.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by bruce3404
I just booked my flights for next August, but United's system won't allow me to select seats for the United flights on my journey, despite booking them on the UA website. Given that the flights are nearly 11 months into the future, at what point will I be able to select my seats? Two calls to UA resulted in varying answers, the best of which was a very unsatisfactory "just keep calling". FWIW, the routing involves Copenhagen/Frankfurt/SFO/EUG. First leg is LH, other legs UA.
I just booked August 2017 award flights about 10 days ago. I was able to select the seats about three or four days later.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. It depends on cabin and fare-class.
I was able to select seats on the LH site for the LH leg of a UA premium award ticket within a few minutes of the confirmation email arriving in my inbox. The flights are 11 months out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.