Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoDestinations
Some common reasons for "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight."
  • Bookings made at begin of schedule (aka 330 or so days out) --
    seatmap has not yet been released.
    Wait a week or two and seat selection should become available
  • Pending aircraft change
  • Bookings made within 24 hours of flight will receive this message, check in for flight to select seats
Print Wikipost

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How far out? UA often won't allow seat assignments for flights at the end of the schedule.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by Kacee
How far out? UA often won't allow seat assignments for flights at the end of the schedule.
Yes, it is almost at end of schedule. Guess I'll just wait. I do have time
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mangoMan
Yes, it is almost at end of schedule. Guess I'll just wait. I do have time
Congrats on snagging Polaris seats. Like others said, it's been reported that seat assignment will open in a bit - from previous reports my guesstimate would be a couple of weeks.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Congrats on snagging Polaris seats. Like others said, it's been reported that seat assignment will open in a bit - from previous reports my guesstimate would be a couple of weeks.
Thanks EmailKid. Got 4 FRA-SFO next summer....couldn't believe my luck. BTW, your tagline makes me hungry; it's been a long time since I've been to Tommy's but the memories of those chili-cheeseburgers are still with me
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:05 pm

Award ticket seat assignments restricted

Booked an award ticket for RDU-SCL-EZE-RDU. 12/19/18-1/5/19. Ability to book return was just yesterday or day before. I successfully purchased the ticket and have seat assignments on outbound flights. But on inbound (return) it's telling me "seat assignments restricted". Aka "try again later".

Advance seat assignments are currently restricted for this flight, but you may be able to select a seat at a later time or date.
What is causing this and when could I expect to select seats?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Must not have seat maps loaded yet. Both the 777-200 and the 767-300 that fly to deep South America are going through Polaris retrofit this year, so suspect that could be the reason. IAH-EZE is currently ex-CO 772, EWR route is currently 764 which is not scheduled for Polaris to my knowledge, so if that's the route you're on, check again in a few weeks.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Must not have seat maps loaded yet. Both the 777-200 and the 767-300 that fly to deep South America are going through Polaris retrofit this year, so suspect that could be the reason. IAH-EZE is currently ex-CO 772, EWR route is currently 764 which is not scheduled for Polaris to my knowledge, so if that's the route you're on, check again in a few weeks.
OK, I'll do that, thanks! Not going to/thru EWR, BTW. Just thru IAH.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Seat assignment is usually restricted for super-advance bookings this far out. I'm not sure of the exact number of days, but I've run into the same issue with bookings at the far end of the 330-day ticketing window.

Try again in a few weeks, seat assignments should stick. IME nothing to worry about.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Seat assignment is usually restricted for super-advance bookings this far out. I'm not sure of the exact number of days, but I've run into the same issue with bookings at the far end of the 330-day ticketing window.

Try again in a few weeks, seat assignments should stick. IME nothing to worry about.
Is it better to deal with this by phone or online? Online is certainly easier.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by zitsky
Is it better to deal with this by phone or online? Online is certainly easier.
Online. My experience is online the seats can usually be chosen a week or so later in these situations. Just booked award tix to Hawaii last week and had to wait 4 days before I could choose seats that stuck.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:17 am

Got bad information from Mileage Plus customer service rep. He said yesterday that I should be able to get seats now for my EZE-IAH-RDU segment 777-200 and ERJ-170. Of course I tried today and cannot. Hope this gets resolved soon!!! Grrr.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Got bad information from Mileage Plus customer service rep. He said yesterday that I should be able to get seats now for my EZE-IAH-RDU segment 777-200 and ERJ-170. Of course I tried today and cannot. Hope this gets resolved soon!!! Grrr.
Try both the app and website?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:27 pm

The app seems to show some seats taken but united.com doesn't show that. When I tried getting seats with the app, it didn't work.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As you can see by this long thread, this issue is not uncommon and does resolve itself but can take a week or two after booking. I think it took 10 days once for me.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As you can see by this long thread, this issue is not uncommon and does resolve itself but can take a week or two after booking. I think it took 10 days once for me.
Thanks. Hopefully weeks not months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.