Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoDestinations
Some common reasons for "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight."
  • Bookings made at begin of schedule (aka 330 or so days out) --
    seatmap has not yet been released.
    Wait a week or two and seat selection should become available
  • Pending aircraft change
  • Bookings made within 24 hours of flight will receive this message, check in for flight to select seats
Print Wikipost

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zitsky
Thanks. Hopefully weeks not months.
Why would you think months??? Two days in to this is a bit early to leap to months. Not aware of any evidence in this thread to support months. If you are being block from selecting seats, so is anyone else.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
The app seems to show some seats taken but united.com doesn't show that. When I tried getting seats with the app, it didn't work.
Those seats may be blocked for crew rest, which will not be released, or potential SSRs (wheelchair pax, ESAs, etc), which will be released for assignment at some point.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Why would you think months??? Two days in to this is a bit early to leap to months. Not aware of any evidence in this thread to support months. If you are being block from selecting seats, so is anyone else.
I don't know. Maybe it's an equipment change. I will check again in a few weeks. App seems to show some seats assigned. Strange.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I don't know. Maybe it's an equipment change. ...
at begin of schedule?? No. As reported many times in this thread, this is very, very standard for the begin of schedule flights.
. App seems to show some seats assigned. Strange.
Until the seats maps are truly opened up, anything you see is not meaningful. Besides what was mentioned earlier about crew rests -- that is part of the startup process before releasing the seat maps. Believe you will see similar reports earlier in the thread.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
at begin of schedule?? No. As reported many times in this thread, this is very, very standard for the begin of schedule flights.
Until the seats maps are truly opened up, anything you see is not meaningful. Besides what was mentioned earlier about crew rests -- that is part of the startup process before releasing the seat maps. Believe you will see similar reports earlier in the thread.
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. Will be patient.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: 1K
After years of flying got one of these today. Said it was equipment change.

- Flight is tomorrow on CRJ700
- Previous flight was a CRJ700
- Have a confirmed upgrade
- Won't let me select a seat

Only a 45 min flight, so doesn't really matter, just odd.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:08 am

Talking

Booked an award ticket for RDU-SCL-EZE-RDU. 12/19/18-1/5/19. Ability to book return was just yesterday or day before. I successfully purchased the ticket and have seat assignments on outbound flights. But on inbound (return) it's telling me "seat assignments restricted". Aka "try again later".

What is causing this and when could I expect to select seats?
So just about a week after I made the reservation for EZE-IAH-RDU, I am now able to select seats in First class but Coach is still not available. Not a problem because on this segment we are only in First. I was able to go in today and reserve seats for myself under my UA account and also separately under my partner's account.

Now I have to watch these every month or two and make sure they don't change!! Ha ha.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight.

! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.

I just booked my flight PEK-IAD-ATL (Dec 2018) ATL-IAD-PEK (Jan 2019). I am having an issue with the seat assignment. I was able to select E+ seats PEK-IAD-ATL as Premier Gold without any problems.
However, when I select E+ seats for ATL-IAD-PEK (Jan 2019) - initially I was able to choose E+ seats. But after all the selection I got "! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in."

Should I call United?

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------

! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.
  • Date of Birth: ????????????????
  • Known Traveler Number/PASS ID: ????????????
  • Seat Assignments:
  • PEK - IAD: 16A
  • IAD - ATL: 7A
  • ATL - IAD: ---
  • IAD - PEK: ---
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:40 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
General reason for this is an equipment change is pending. It should resolve itself in the next month or so.

Also as a side note, with the flights 10-11 months out, you can expect some schedule changes.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Standard issue for super-advance ticketing. This is not necessarily indicative of a pending schedule/equipment change, but it’s a good practice to keep an eye out for one periodically until departure.
It should resolve itself in a few days and you’ll be able to assign seats.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Give it a week (then try again to select). That’s about the difference between the maximum out you can book on UA and reserve a seat (that’s why you were able to select for you outbound but not return)
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
I recently experienced a similar issue. When the regular economy fares finally appeared online at united.com for the flights I wanted, after I bought my ticket, I received a notification that advance seat selection isn't available for the flights in May of next year. Even attempts to buy Economy Plus seats failed. Very aggravating. I wish United would not have offered the flights for sale if seat selection for them isn't available yet. The error message I received said that seat selection would be available at check-in! The Premier Line customer service rep I spoke to thinks the aircraft may be changed on both segments, which is possible, but probably unlikely for both segments I reserved.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
You are looking way too far in advance. The same thing happens on Southwest (few or no discount fares), and they aren't selling any tickets that far out. But on Southwest, you could buy a ticket anyway and re-fare downards later (if you fly them at least once a year). On UA, you'll just have to guess. Wait at least two months.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by auandagbug
The error message I received said that seat selection would be available at check-in!
Online seat selection is typically available a couple of weeks after flights appear on the schedule. This happens with every UA flight and doesn't signify anything about equipment swaps or the like.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's an excellent chance that your booking is the only one on the plane. You'll be able to get whatever seats you want when seat selection opens.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:44 pm

Just booked a saver award for next summer but can't get seat assignments. X domestic and I international. I get an error:

Just keep trying or call?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 31, 2018 at 10:36 pm Reason: moved to master thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.