Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoDestinations
Some common reasons for "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight."
  • Bookings made at begin of schedule (aka 330 or so days out) --
    seatmap has not yet been released.
    Wait a week or two and seat selection should become available
  • Pending aircraft change
  • Bookings made within 24 hours of flight will receive this message, check in for flight to select seats
Print Wikipost

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stampchez
Just booked a saver award for next summer but can't get seat assignments. X domestic and I international. I get an error:

! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.

Just keep trying or call?
very standard when booking at "end of schedule", give it a week or two and then you will be able to select seats.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by stampchez
Just booked a saver award for next summer but can't get seat assignments. X domestic and I international. I get an error:

! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.

Just keep trying or call?
if your I flight is on UA, try in two weeks.

Edit: I just had this situation on a Polaris flight I just booked a day or two after the inventory was released. On booking, I could not get a seat assignment. I tried the next day and by that time, the seats had been released and I scooped them up.

Last edited by 747FC; Oct 8, 2018 at 1:12 am Reason: more info
Old May 15, 2019, 1:20 pm

Seat Selection on UA Award Ticket

I recently booked an award ticket form Zurich to LAX via EWR for April 11th, 2020. All flights are on United metal. I was trying to reserve seats for the flights on united.com and was receiving an error. I then contacted UA via twitter, and was told that they cannot assign seats until 8 months before departure. Is this true? I thought that you could reserve seats as soon as the flights were ticketed.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSC2013
I recently booked an award ticket form Zurich to LAX via EWR for April 11th, 2020. All flights are on United metal. I was trying to reserve seats for the flights on united.com and was receiving an error. I then contacted UA via twitter, and was told that they cannot assign seats until 8 months before departure. Is this true? I thought that you could reserve seats as soon as the flights were ticketed.
No, 8 months isn't true, but neither is "as soon as the flight is loaded into the schedule."

Give it a couple of days.
findark likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
IF that is a 767 ZRH-EWR, they may not load the seat chart yet, because it may be the "real" Polaris seating by then.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:44 pm

It is a 767-400ER on the ZRH-EWR flight. If they are waiting to load the seat chart because of "real" Polaris, that would be amazing. I just assumed that the 764's would be the last to be retrofitted.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSC2013
If they are waiting to load the seat chart because of "real" Polaris
They are not.

This is SOP for UA. Seat assignments are not available for the first few days that a flight is on the schedule. Any plane, any route. There's a board thread about this; I imagine this thread will eventually be merged into that one.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:02 pm

Seat selection issues?

Any idea what's up with United.com today?
purchased Polaris seats for a flight next May and it won't save my seat selections after I choose then confirm them. Currently on loooong hold with UA on phone and chat.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Coin Ops
purchased Polaris seats for a flight next May and it won't save my seat selections after I choose then confirm them. Currently on loooong hold with UA on phone and chat.
I never book flights on the weekend.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:00 pm

I finally got to talk to a Customer Service Rep on the phone and they tell me that it is too early to save seats. Seat selection opens up on Tuesday. Why would they take reservations, but not open seat selection for a few days? It would have been nice if they would at least indicate that on the seat selection page rather than allowing me to select them, but not save them. Wasted an hour on hold. Not good, United.....
Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it is perfectly normal ... must be super urgent to bother an agent on the phone for a flight that is in 11 months ...

You got the correct answer ... seat selection will be available in a couple of days.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
it is perfectly normal ... must be super urgent to bother an agent on the phone for a flight that is in 11 months ...

You got the correct answer ... seat selection will be available in a couple of days.
I wouldn't have bothered them if United would have indicated on their seat selection page that seats wouldnt be available until Tuesday. And yes, it is important to me that I get the seats that I want when I make a reservation.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Very few people are booking tickets almost a year out. Be patient. Your desired seat(s) won't be taken

I am still putting together my next month (July 2023) travels.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
wait a few days and all will be ok
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
UA.com is having issues:

UA Computer issues / NE WX travel distruptions today 25 June 2023

Also, there's weather in the NE affecting flights:

Travel Waiver/Alert: East Coast Severe Weather (June 25, 2023 - June 27, 2023)

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.