Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoDestinations
Some common reasons for "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight."
  • Bookings made at begin of schedule (aka 330 or so days out) --
    seatmap has not yet been released.
    Wait a week or two and seat selection should become available
  • Pending aircraft change
  • Bookings made within 24 hours of flight will receive this message, check in for flight to select seats
Print Wikipost

What does "Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight" mean?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by meecal
Ticketed about 11AM on 8/31. Tried to select seats during booking but got error message after picking them. As of 1AM on 9/1 still unable to select seats online. Get this message:
! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.
How far out is this booking, is it close to 330 window? Sometimes it does a few weeks after placing a flight on the schedule before seating assignments work
such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-sf-lih.html
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How far out is this booking, is it close to 330 window? Sometimes it does a few weeks after placing a flight on the schedule before seating assignments work
such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ht-sf-lih.html
Was able to select seats today. Yea, about 325 days until flight. Actually a bit bummed though because it looks like my "first class" seats are not much more than economy seats with a bit more width, according to seatguru (A320 BWI-LAX and 752 LAX-OGG). A schedule change and availability on American will have me canceling this reservation and switching to a flight on their 763.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:11 am
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I'm seeing this message today for a flight I'm taking this coming Saturday (flight 1702, SFO-PHX).

! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in.

The seat map shows 7 empty seats, but it won't let me select one.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They may be planning an equipment swap.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I received this message last Friday when I tried to change an (upgraded) seat from my tablet on way to airport. Was able to select the desired seat, however, at an airport kiosk. This was on a UA/SkyWest flight. No equipment swap, not 330 days out, etc. I think it covers a multitude of issues.
Old May 13, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: SPG
Q: Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat

Hello,

I'm getting "! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in." from BAH-(KWI ground stop)-IAD-YYZ flight. The flight is in 2015.

Did anyone see that before and know why? I have not called United yet.

Thanks.

Last edited by Vit007; May 14, 2014 at 8:41 pm Reason: IAD, not EWR
Old May 13, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Vit007
Hello,

I'm getting "! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in." from BAH-(KWI ground stop)-EWR-YYZ flight. The flight is in 2015.

Did anyone see that before and know why? I have not called United yet.

Thanks.
The (KWI) ground stop. It's combining two flights in one flight number.

If you call and simply ask to "split" or "separate" the segments, you can pick seats.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by aacharya
The (KWI) ground stop. It's combining two flights in one flight number.

If you call and simply ask to "split" or "separate" the segments, you can pick seats.
I've talked to a few different phone agents, and none were able to do it (for different reasons). I'll message UAInsider to see if he can help.

Last edited by Vit007; May 14, 2014 at 8:36 pm
Old May 14, 2014, 9:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... I'm getting "! Advance seat assignments are restricted for this flight. Please select a seat during check-in." from BAH-(KWI ground stop)-IAD-YYZ flight. The flight is in 2015.

Did anyone see that before and know why? .....
One common reason is the seat map has not yet been released. It not uncommon for seat map not to be released as soon as the flight is released for sell. So while you can purchased 330+ days out, it may be another week or two or even a month before the seatmaps are released.

Another reason is the aircraft type has not yet been determined or marked for a potential change.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cted-mean.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...available.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rd-ticket.html

.... I'll message UAInsider to see if he can help.
Given the flight is in 2015 may be waiting a bit might be another option.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: VS
Question Unable to reserve seats or purchase E+ greater that 330 days out?

Hi,

I have a couple of Economy award flights booked from HNL to SFO in January 2016.

Seat map is available and showing wide open everywhere. Tried to purchase a couple of E+ seats but when trying to pay it errors out saying seat assignments are restricted on this flight and need to be selected upon check in. I can't even select a normal Economy seat, just get the same error. (I have no status with UA)

United is though reserving money on my credit card everytime I try to book an E+ seat, I guess that will just drop off after a few days so am not worried about that for now.

Is it worth phoning up and seeing if I can purchase a couple of E+ seats over the phone? Don't United want my money!! Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
When booking near the 330 day limit, not everything is available. You should wait a week or two and try again.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: VS
Many thanks, just surprised as I managed to book some E+ for the way out in December. But I take on board what you say and will try again in a few weeks.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:38 pm

Unable to reserve seats or purchase E+.

I have had that happen as well. last month booked international award for T-330 out for my family and wanted to ensure I locked in our E+ seats prior to my free fall to gold. IIRC had to wait about 8 days
Old Feb 14, 2015, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When booking near the 330 day limit, not everything is available. You should wait a week or two and try again.
Exactly right ^ and the same thing applies to revenue seats as well. Just be patient and check daily for the next couple of weeks and eventually your seats will stick
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, No other status because my company hates me.
The interesting thing about this is I tried to do this today, and buy E+, it authorized on my cc, but didn't complete, so I have a bunch of UAL Authorizations on my card that I hope fall off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.