Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HiltonHonors Diamond
But what about this whole thing I have been reading about. R-avail opens up, and they dont clear the waitlist, if you apply a new certificate, you can get it.

I have read that you have to call and cancel your upgrade then reapply. But I have learned the hard way, if you are upgraded on one leg it is not easy to cancel, there has to be seats still available in economy in the fare class you originally purchased.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HiltonHonors Diamond
By the way, anyone have experience on the LHR-SFO 10:30 am flight? Seems like the premiere route.

Am I on crack thinking R will ever open up? -

Thanks from a first timer...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Asia Miles, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Emerald Club.
I've seen this often when the transpac/transatl segment "trumps" the other segments, but not the other way around. For example,

If LAX --> SEA is R3 and SEA --> NRT is R0; then the search for LAX --> SEA --> NRT will show R0.

However, if LAX --> SEA is R0 and SEA --> NRT is R3, it will show just that and allow you to upgrade the transpac segment and waitlist the other domestic segment.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hawaii_flyer
By the way, anyone have experience on the LHR-SFO 10:30 am flight? Seems like the premiere route......
On any given Friday it certainly is. Not sure what day you're travelling, but I find Saturday westbound is better than others.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:17 pm

I'm lookign at SFO-NRT-SIN. On Expert Flyer the SFO-NRT segment on UA 837 will only show R space if I connect with ANA flight. If I force connection NRT-SIN on UA 7 then R space becomes not available, not even for the UA 837 SFO-NRT segment.

Is the above correct?

I'm debating wether or not to just go online and book UA 837 -> UA 7 and apply GWU and hope for the best
Old May 29, 2013, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by piemel
I'm lookign at SFO-NRT-SIN. On Expert Flyer the SFO-NRT segment on UA 837 will only show R space if I connect with ANA flight. If I force connection NRT-SIN on UA 7 then R space becomes not available, not even for the UA 837 SFO-NRT segment.

Is the above correct?

I'm debating wether or not to just go online and book UA 837 -> UA 7 and apply GWU and hope for the best

What happens when you use EF and search SFO-NRT only, and then NRT-SIN only. That is the indicator of what you can expect to happen.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by channa
What happens when you use EF and search SFO-NRT only, and then NRT-SIN only. That is the indicator of what you can expect to happen.
Single Flights on EF :
1) SFO-NRT UA 837 R=3

2) NRT-SIN UA 7 R=0

Combined flight on EF :
SFO-NRT-SIN
UA 837-> UA 7 R=0
Old May 29, 2013, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Single Flights on EF :
1) SFO-NRT UA 837 R=3

2) NRT-SIN UA 7 R=0

Combined flight on EF :
SFO-NRT-SIN
UA 837-> UA 7 R=0
That's because the connected flight defaults to the lowest R level (in this case, zero). If you book, it should confirm SFO-NRT and waitlist NRT-SIN.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Single Flights on EF :
1) SFO-NRT UA 837 R=3

2) NRT-SIN UA 7 R=0

Combined flight on EF :
SFO-NRT-SIN
UA 837-> UA 7 R=0
You'll be able to upgrade SFO-NRT, and be waitlisted on NRT-SIN.
Old May 29, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
You'll be able to upgrade SFO-NRT, and be waitlisted on NRT-SIN.
Thanks!
Old May 30, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by silent129
Here's some evidence of this craziness. Same flight (UA 116), different R/RN availability. I've been on hold for 1 hour with the 1K line and they can't figure it out. On their end, they don't see any R/RN availability! Craziness.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This is unbelievable. Can anyone explain this? I understand about a combined itinerary showing R availability as the minimum R availability among all of the segments. That makes sense, and has workarounds as posters have mentioned. But this case is entirely different. I wonder what ExpertFlyer showed for this segment? (It was in the past, so we can't check.)
Old May 30, 2013, 5:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mecabq
This is unbelievable. Can anyone explain this? I understand about a combined itinerary showing R availability as the minimum R availability among all of the segments. That makes sense, and has workarounds as posters have mentioned. But this case is entirely different. I wonder what ExpertFlyer showed for this segment? (It was in the past, so we can't check.)
can you explain why you believe this is different from the standard display issue??
Your example appears to be a very standard case. The connecting domestic flights likely had for the first case R=0 and in the second R>=4. The HKG-EWR flight had R>=4 and a GPU /miles would have cleared on application in either case. As long as the first case as not a direct flight (also UA116) this is the normal display issue.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
can you explain why you believe this is different from the standard display issue??
Your example appears to be a very standard case. The connecting domestic flights likely had for the first case R=0 and in the second R>=4. The HKG-EWR flight had R>=4 and a GPU /miles would have cleared on application in either case. As long as the first case as not a direct flight (also UA116) this is the normal display issue.
Finally, a sane posting. This (misunderstaning how fare buckets are displayed with multiple segments) is why UA removed this level of detail from all but "experts". Of course, now everyone is an expert.
Old May 30, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
Finally, a sane posting. This (misunderstaning how fare buckets are displayed with multiple segments) is why UA removed this level of detail from all but "experts". Of course, now everyone is an expert.
This makes the underlying assumption that it's a smart, intuitive, natural thing to apply married segments logic to upgrade space, which I'd say most would disagree with
Old May 30, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This makes the underlying assumption that it's a smart, intuitive, natural thing to apply married segments logic to upgrade space, which I'd say most would disagree with
Agree. But you and I and most of FT are not the flying public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.