Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
The OP is saying the opposite -- looking by segement doens't work.
There have been occasional, extremely sporadic, reports of this. However, the specific scenario presented is almost impossible, and I suspect that there is a mistake somewhere. OP -- can you provide the travel dates, and the exact searches you were doing? (The reason it's almost impossible is that the PZ bucket wouldn't appear on MNL-TPE, so it should just be using the PZ inventory from TPE-SFO).

Originally Posted by ryman554
So, my strong guess is that the P fare is not filed on UA from TPE-SFO, while it is MNL-TPE-SFO, or they are restricting P inventory out of TPE directly, which creates a false negative in the upgrade inventory.
Fares and inventory are entirely uncorrelated. It is entirely possibly to have P inventory on TPE-SFO without having a P fare filed to take advantage of it. It happens all the time.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
There have been occasional, extremely sporadic, reports of this. However, the specific scenario presented is almost impossible, and I suspect that there is a mistake somewhere. OP -- can you provide the travel dates, and the exact searches you were doing? (The reason it's almost impossible is that the PZ bucket wouldn't appear on MNL-TPE, so it should just be using the PZ inventory from TPE-SFO).
Fares and inventory are entirely uncorrelated. It is entirely possibly to have P inventory on TPE-SFO without having a P fare filed to take advantage of it. It happens all the time.
Try searching MNL-SFO on June 25, where routing is MNL-TPE-SFO. PZ=9 for the TPE-SFO leg, but if one searches only TPE-SFO on the same day (UA972) PZ=0.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rubydick
Try searching MNL-SFO on June 25, where routing is MNL-TPE-SFO. PZ=9 for the TPE-SFO leg, but if one searches only TPE-SFO on the same day (UA972) PZ=0.
I see PZ0 when searching MNL-TPE-SFO on June 25.

My initial hypothesis, BTW, is that you were probably looking at a flight with an overnight layover at TPE, so that if you searched TPE-SFO on June 26, you'd have seen PZ9.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:11 pm

I see PZ0 when searching MNL-TPE-SFO on June 25.
My initial hypothesis, BTW, is that you were probably looking at a flight with an overnight layover at TPE, so that if you searched TPE-SFO on June 26, you'd have seen PZ9.
That was the problem. Thanks!
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM

Yes, I know. However, if they do have a P fare filed, they can still zero out the P bucket for all but connecting travel. In such a case,. I would expect the PN/Z availability to be zero as well. That's what I was postulating, since that is what I observed once.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:26 pm

The mystery continues. I do a one-way single segment search SFO to TPE on 4 Aug. and get PZ9, but if I add DEN to SFO to TPE, the SFO to TPE leg changes to PZ0.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rubydick
The mystery continues. I do a one-way single segment search SFO to TPE on 4 Aug. and get PZ9, but if I add DEN to SFO to TPE, the SFO to TPE leg changes to PZ0.
That's not a mystery -- that's the expected behavior, as documented in this thread. If you buy the DEN to TPE flight and apply an upgrade, you will confirm SFO-TPE and waitlist DEN-SFO. It's basically showing the lowest common value between the legs.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
PZ Fareclass Availability Question

Looking for a flight from WAS to DEL and was a little confused by the PZ class availability.

When I did the search using (W class for PP upgrades) there are quite a few flights from DC to EWR, and only 1 from EWR to DEL (UA82). Half of the flights show available PZ for the EWR - DEL sector and about half show it as waitlist. Anyone know why that might happen? This applies even between airports (IAD/DCA)
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karan97
Looking for a flight from WAS to DEL and was a little confused by the PZ class availability.

When I did the search using (W class for PP upgrades) there are quite a few flights from DC to EWR, and only 1 from EWR to DEL (UA82). Half of the flights show available PZ for the EWR - DEL sector and about half show it as waitlist. Anyone know why that might happen? This applies even between airports (IAD/DCA)
UA will show you the lowest value for the PZ bucket across all segments. So, on the flights where PZ appears to be zero, that means that your WAS-EWR flight would waitlist, but EWR-DEL would still clear immediately. That's why you should always search from the international gateway when trying to judge PZ space, as I presume you don't really care about the WAS-EWR upgrade.

Note that you no longer need to buy a W fare if you don't want to. You can upgrade from a lower fare, but it takes 80 PlusPoints instead of 40. Depending upon how many PlusPoints you have and how many long-haul trips you plan to take, this may work out better. Also, don't forget to check for PE space; the R fares are often about the same price as W, and those only take 30 PlusPoints to upgrade instead of 40.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
UA will show you the lowest value for the PZ bucket across all segments. So, on the flights where PZ appears to be zero, that means that your WAS-EWR flight would waitlist, but EWR-DEL would still clear immediately. That's why you should always search from the international gateway when trying to judge PZ space, as I presume you don't really care about the WAS-EWR upgrade.

Note that you no longer need to buy a W fare if you don't want to. You can upgrade from a lower fare, but it takes 80 PlusPoints instead of 40. Depending upon how many PlusPoints you have and how many long-haul trips you plan to take, this may work out better. Also, don't forget to check for PE space; the R fares are often about the same price as W, and those only take 30 PlusPoints to upgrade instead of 40.
Interesting, I thought it would approve segments as they became available.
Correct, don't care about the WAS-EWR sector. The fare diff between 80 and 40 PPs is only $200 so decided to book in W, instead of the lower class.

Thanks jsloan.
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Karan97
Interesting, I thought it would approve segments as they became available.
The issue isn't with the upgrades clearing, which do work segment-by-segment. The issue is that UA is essentially lying to you about the inventory whenever you look at connecting flights. If PZ on EWR-DEL (by itself) is 9, but DCA-EWR (by itself) is 0, then when you search WAS-DEL, you'll see PZ0 on both legs, not PZ0 / PZ9 as you might expect.

TL/DR: Always search for the longhaul by itself; that gives you a look into the inventory numbers that will actually be used for clearing the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.