Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Married Segment Logic Controls Upgrades

Just wanted to point out...

While all this upgrade nonsense is driving us elites to abandon United (and rightly so), I wanted to let y'all know that Continental - I mean United - use "married segment" logic to control upgrade availability, just as they do to control availability in all their other fare classes.

Let me explain - not excuse, just explain. I'll use a hypothetical revenue ticket as an example: let's say I want to fly from IAD to AZO, with a connection at ORD, and I want to book the cheapest ticket which requires L class on both segments. While the lowest L fare from IAD to AZO may be $350, due to competitive forces there also happens to be an "L" fare in the IAD-ORD market for $50. In order to keep "L" open for me (remember I need the L booking code on both IAD-ORD and the ORD-AZO flight), they will block offering an "L" booking code on itineraries that are just IAD-ORD, but offer it when it is "married" to a connecting flight to whatever the continuing city is.

The same goes for upgrade "R" inventory. I don't know why, but for some reason United shows R class available when connecting to certain flights but not to others. Just one example is the nonstop Hong Kong-ORD (UA896) this summer (not every day, but some days). R shows available for the transpacific flight ex-HKG, but only when connecting to some flights - and sometimes not when you just look at the HKG-ORD flight by itself in the availability display. And not to all the connecting flights to a particular city, either.

(Yes, it's the same, one daily nonstop UA896 HKG-ORD flight that has R available when paired with some connections and not others. And there's no reason to it, from what I can see. For example, R is avail on UA896 HKG-ORD when paired with certain DCA flights but not others to DCA, and neither connecting time nor upgrade availability on the connecting ORD-DCA flight seems to make a difference. I use the HKG-ORD flight as an example but I have seen this same thing on almost all UA longhaul flights, to and from Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.)

This likely explains why upgrades into R aren't automatically clearing when we think they should. You'd have to pull up availability for your entire connection (origin-connection-destination) to see if R shows available for the longhaul flight you want to upgrade - and if so, then it will automatically clear. Otherwise, since the segments are "married," SHARES doesn't see it as available unless the married segment logic allows it to be given the particular flight pairing; SHARES is not looking at the one segment alone but at the married pair. When we call and have the agent clear it manually, the agent is breaking the married pair and booking the one segment into R.

And remember, I'm not excusing this - IMHO upgrades should not be controlled by the same logic as sales revenue management. But tell that to Continental...

Last edited by SkyTeem; Jun 18, 2012 at 6:05 am
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This only affects what you are seeing when you search for a reservation, not how the system actually checks to give you an upgrade if you request one.

In other words, you're describing a front-end UI issue, not an actual process or inventory issue.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeem
And remember, I'm not excusing this - IMHO upgrades should not be controlled by the same logic as sales revenue management. But tell that to Continental...
And they aren't.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Yeah, this is annoying. When you want to fly AAA-BBB-CCC, it will show R availability only if R is available on both AAA-BBB-CCC. So you need to search the segments separately. When you apply the upgrade, it should clear for the segment that R is available.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
With all due respect...

It's actually not a front-end UI issue. This married logic is established by revenue management and is used by most airlines - in this case, it's in SHARES. I have WorldSpan and SABRE access currently and it's in there, and I worked at AA when they introduced married segment control, back when it was a new thing.

Nor does the UG need to be available on both connecting segments.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeem
It's actually not a front-end UI issue. This married logic is established by revenue management and is used by most airlines - in this case, it's in SHARES. I have WorldSpan and SABRE access currently and it's in there, and I worked at AA when they introduced married segment control, back when it was a new thing.

Nor does the UG need to be available on both connecting segments.
I know what married segments is. I know how it works and what it means.

The upgrades are processed segment-by-segment. They really are not affected by married segments.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
This only affects what you are seeing when you search for a reservation, not how the system actually checks to give you an upgrade if you request one.
Then why did I have to seek intervention to have a recent married segment split in order to have my instrument supported upgrade clear on the one segment that was showing R availability?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by halls120
Then why did I have to seek intervention to have a recent married segment split in order to have my instrument supported upgrade clear on the one segment that was showing R availability?
Are you talking about splitting a direct flight, or married segment availability?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Two connecting segments which operate as the same flight number are a direct flight, not married segments. If you had something split this is almost certainly what it was.

Married Segments Logic defines that a flight will have different published availability depending on whether there is a connection associated with it and even based on which connection is associated with it.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I know what married segments is. I know how it works and what it means.

The upgrades are processed segment-by-segment. They really are not affected by married segments.
Actually. You are all kinda of right. YES, they process upgrades segment by segment so it's not really a married segment issue. But SHARES sometimes will and sometimes won't automatically do that unless you force it

If the LAX-NRT flight has R9, the NRT-BKK flight has R0 and the NRT-SIN has R9 then when looking for availability LAX-SIN it will show all segments R9 but if you look LAX-BKK it will show R0 even though the LAX-NRT has R9. They are supposed to at least upgrade you into the R space that's avail. It's not really married segments. It's just SHARES acting as if that is what it is because it's a screwed up system. It's not using "married segments" for upgrade availability but it does behave that way sometimes. If it was using true "married segments" then it would not allow you to force the upgrade in (which it does) just like an agent can't force "L" space if it's not there to sell

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Jun 18, 2012 at 7:02 am
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
If the LAX-NRT flight has R9, the NRT-BKK flight has R0 and the NRT-SIN has R9 then when looking for availability LAX-SIN it will show all segments R9 but if you look LAX-BKK it will show R0 even though the LAX-NRT has R9. They are supposed to at least upgrade you into the R space that's avail. It's not really married segments. It's just SHARES acting as if that what it is because it's screwed up
But if you were to apply a SWU to LAX-NRT-BKK, LAX-NRT would clear immediately, regardless of what it shows.

It's more of a query issue rather than a practical issue.

Now there still is an issue about waitlisted upgrades not clearing properly. And whether this has any relevance, who knows. It's certainly worth exploring since I'm not aware of an official answer.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
To posters who think that logic has any business being in the same sentence as upgrades on United - I have a cold fusion machine I'm willing to sell to you at a great price.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beerman92
To posters who think that logic has any business being in the same sentence as upgrades on United - I have a cold fusion machine I'm willing to sell to you at a great price.

Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:23 am

Two connecting segments which operate as the same flight number are a direct flight, not married segments. If you had something split this is almost certainly what it was.

Married Segments Logic defines that a flight will have different published availability depending on whether there is a connection associated with it and even based on which connection is associated with it.
My mistake, I misunderstood what a married segment meant.

Still, when I first spoke to a UA employee about getting an UG confirmed on the leg where there was R availability, I was told that wasn't possible. Fortunately, I found a very knowledgeable UA employee who told me thje other employee was wrong, and fixed the problem. I never encountered this problem prior to 3/3, and it is annoying that one has to continue to seek manual intervention to have problems solved. Hopefully, they will address this issue in the coming months.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:01 am

It is my understanding that they are working on changing the logic associated with direct flights. I have no idea where that is on the priority list or when the fix is expected to happen. But I know they are aware of the issue it presents.

If you happen to be booked on one calling in should see the agents split it for you. Sadly, they aren't all so willing to do it, but it absolutely can be done and shouldn't take too long, assuming the agent understands what to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.