Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 12:31 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by panjfj
When i look at the ORD-HKG inventory alone using KVS, i see R9. And can even confirm an upgrade on the website

However, when i look at the whole journey from DTW-SIN using the routing above, ORD-HKG segment has R0 which makes absolutely no sense that i cannot confirm the over water segment and waitlist DTW-ORD and HKG-SIN.
It's called Married Segments Logic: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Factors

However, it does not actually apply to Award/Upgrade Availability. When it gets mis-applied (in-error), such as in your scenario, you need to check Availability segment-by-segment.
Old May 15, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
It's called Married Segments Logic: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Factors

However, it does not actually apply to Award/Upgrade Availability. When it gets mis-applied (in-error), such as in your scenario, you need to check Availability segment-by-segment.
so basically what do i tell reservations? Is there something they can do to force the upgrade?
Old May 15, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
so basically what do i tell reservations? Is there something they can do to force the upgrade?
They should confirm the segment if it has R availability if you call.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
This has nothing to do with married segment rules. It's a website glitch..it shows the lowest R value of any of the segments you're looking at..for all of the flights you're looking at.. in fact it does this for all fare buckets. But if you can see R on the flight when looking at it individually then there is R space on that flight and when you apply your upgrade (either online or on the phone) you will instantly clear. No need to call reservations.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:05 pm

well, even on Res, that is what they show so it is not only the website..

STUPID SHARES!!
Old May 15, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
pricing wise, i know about married segments and understand the reasons for them existing, but that has never been the case with upgrades, at least with PMUA.
My bad, I spaced that you were talking about upgrade space. Apologies.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by FortFun
My bad, I spaced that you were talking about upgrade space. Apologies.
yeah i had the agent just apply the upgrade and it went through.

Thanks anyways!
Old May 15, 2012, 6:21 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

yeah i had the agent just apply the upgrade and it went through.!
Enjoy your upgrade!
Old May 21, 2012, 12:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Upgrades and Married Segments

So this is a new one for me.

Am on a flight A-B-C
A-B = R9
B-C = R0

For CPU's, they tell me both A-B and B-C must be R>0 for the comp upgrade to go through because it's a married segment. Note, it is a different flight number so it's not a "direct" flight.

Did I miss something, or when did this change? I always had thought if one of hte segments was >0, then when EUA ran, you would get that upgrade on the specific segment.
Old May 21, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by travel.flier
So this is a new one for me.

Am on a flight A-B-C
A-B = R9
B-C = R0

For CPU's, they tell me both A-B and B-C must be R>0 for the comp upgrade to go through because it's a married segment. Note, it is a different flight number so it's not a "direct" flight.

Did I miss something, or when did this change? I always had thought if one of hte segments was >0, then when EUA ran, you would get that upgrade on the specific segment.
Not correct. That would only be correct if it were a direct flight having the same flight number with a stop. Are you within your CPU window?
Old May 21, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If you're not getting your CPU and you're calling about it, they have absolutely no visibility into the system, and no ability to actually check what's happening or do anything about it.

So, they have to say something to get you off the phone, and that line sounds as good as any to get the majority of people off the phone.

Basically if I'm in a CPU situation that should have cleared but hasn't, I give them two options -- manually upgrade me, or file a bug report. Some argue, but I insist, and I tell them there are only two possible outcomes for the call -- a manual upgrade, or filing a bug.

Of course they could still BS me and tell me they filed the bug without filing it, but that's what I go after.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:23 am
Suspended

Channa -
How can you force them to those 2 options - can't they just say the system is not necessarily going to upgrade you because we dont' know when EUA will actually run?

FWIW - I can confirm that what I was told is absolutely not true. Because I got upgraded this morning at about the 60 hour mark. I still don't quite get it. It has been at R4 or R5 constantly, so the only explanation i can come up with is EUA does not run every 24 hours, but maybe it only runs every 30+ hours?
Old May 21, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Channa -
How can you force them to those 2 options - can't they just say the system is not necessarily going to upgrade you because we dont' know when EUA will actually run?

FWIW - I can confirm that what I was told is absolutely not true. Because I got upgraded this morning at about the 60 hour mark. I still don't quite get it. It has been at R4 or R5 constantly, so the only explanation i can come up with is EUA does not run every 24 hours, but maybe it only runs every 30+ hours?
EUA often runs overnight.....

But if you are within your window, and R is greater than 1, then they must upgrade you (or upgrade others ahead of you) or file a bug report.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Channa -
Then you ask them what time their log shows that EUA ran. When they can't answer that, then you reiterate your request to file the bug report.

My last one was even easier -- I knew EUA ran because one of us got it, and one of us didn't (flight was R9 before and after the sweep). I had them dancing -- even the Rah! Rah! supervisor who said the "upgrade system is not broken" was having trouble defending the situation.

If they don't want to file the bug report and argue it's working, then give me the upgrade because it's Rn inside the window. If they don't (or say they can't) give me the upgrade, that's fine, too. Just file a bug report, and I'll be on my way.

Originally Posted by aacharya
EUA often runs overnight.....
EUA runs at the windows, but Shannon said with all the problems, they also run it off-schedule to catch up.

Originally Posted by aacharya
But if you are within your window, and R is greater than 1, then they must upgrade you (or upgrade others ahead of you) or file a bug report.
Theoretically, the flight could have opened R space after the sweep but before the next sweep.

But to your point, as a customer, I don't care. I see upgrade space, I'm in my window, either give it to me, or tell me something's wrong and file the bug. Anything else, I'm not interested. The company has already admitted there are problems with the upgrade system, so even if this one might be explainable, it's also possibly a bug, so add this one to the list.
Old May 21, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Great - thanks. This is good info. I will definitely be filing some bug reports! It sounds like even in my case where i did just get the upgrade, there's a bug. It was R>4 for the last several days. And mine didn't clear until 30 hours after the upgrade window opened (around 60'ish hours before departure).

I hope if enough FT'ers call and file bug reports, something will get fixed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.