Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:10 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Happy ending

Well third time's a charm I guess. Called back one more time and the agent was able to put me in F on BOTH flights. No idea if R space opened up coincidentally or what, but I ain't complaining.

I still do not understand this new system. It seems like a free for all.

Thanks for the help (and married segment lesson ) !
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:42 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by travel.flier
and i don't htink you are using the term correctly. "married" has only to do w/pricing, nothing to do w/upgrades. yours is direct. already explained above.
Close. Channa has it correct it has to do with availabiity, not pricing (although pricing is subject to availability.)
Old May 13, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
R/RN Availability Changes Based on First Flight?

Hey gang -

Have a bit of an interesting question for everyone: looking to fly to SYD from DEN (via LAX or SFO, of course) and am noticing something very strange: R/RN availability changes based upon my flight OUT of Denver.

Example: DEN 12P Flight > SFO 10:30PM flight (R0)
DEN 3P Flight > SFO 10:30PM flight (R4)

SFO > SYD flight is the *exact* same one. And I'm paraphrasing the times

Is this a glitch or what? I don't mind paying 2700 bucks for a W fare to get to Sydney IF it clears AT booking, otherwise I'll be flying VX/Q Premium Economy for the same $ ^

I'll call the 1K desk once I get my dates firmed up ... The fact that my travel is in August may have something to do with it, but just strange.

Cheers,
Adam
Old May 13, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Search each flight one by one to find out what the real "R" availability is.

If you "marry" the flights together, the results may be different.

Upgrades clear on a segment-by-segment basis, so only what's showing on each segment when searched individually is what matters.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by channa
Search each flight one by one to find out what the real "R" availability is.

If you "marry" the flights together, the results may be different.

Upgrades clear on a segment-by-segment basis, so only what's showing on each segment when searched individually is what matters.
Thanks ^ I'm stunned - R9 on SFO>SYD?

Cheers,
Adam
Old May 13, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
The behavior you're seeing is one of my biggest pet peeves of the new UA website. It forces you to do a fake booking for each leg of a trip individually to see the true fare basis and upgrade bucket availability. So much wasted time and effort when it could simply show the actual availability for each flight on a single search result

I've been hunting for PHL-OGG flights and this "feature" basically triples the amount of work I have to do to find trips where I can upgrade everything since almost every combination from PHL is three legs.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
Try this. You will like it. (should be a sticky)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
Old May 13, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by blue47
Try this. You will like it. (should be a sticky)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ilability.html
It's a nice tool.

However, UA's systems still display with the "married" availability buckets issue. The system still defaults to the lowest R/RN availability number for search results with multiple flights so you have to check each segment individually to get the true availability.
Old May 13, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
The behavior you're seeing is one of my biggest pet peeves of the new UA website. It forces you to do a fake booking for each leg of a trip individually to see the true fare basis and upgrade bucket availability. So much wasted time and effort when it could simply show the actual availability for each flight on a single search result

I've been hunting for PHL-OGG flights and this "feature" basically triples the amount of work I have to do to find trips where I can upgrade everything since almost every combination from PHL is three legs.
That's why ExpertFlyer.com is worth the $9.99
Old May 13, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat Amb, HH Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
That's been my conclusion too; playing the upgrade lottery is not fun when you have to plonk a $600 deposit. Maybe expertflyer could also handle booking for UA?
Old May 13, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Which apparently doesn't matter. I paid for EF for the benefit so I can see specifically where the R/RN fares are (among other uses). The CSR's tell me when I call that there are 0 RN's (even though I can see see several) and tell me "...whatever you're looking at is wrong..." And if not that and there is availability, they say there is something "behind the scenes" happening and that RN can't be awarded yet.

Frustrating, this "behind the scenes" crap - what is that? Just be transparent.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
+1
Old May 15, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Some Wierd New Upgrade Availability Policy?

So basically i am looking to travel from DTW-ORD-HKG-SIN all booked with different flight numbers.

When i look at the ORD-HKG inventory alone using KVS, i see R9. And can even confirm an upgrade on the website

However, when i look at the whole journey from DTW-SIN using the routing above, ORD-HKG segment has R0 which makes absolutely no sense that i cannot confirm the over water segment and waitlist DTW-ORD and HKG-SIN.

In fact looking at ORD-SIN using the ORD-HKG-SIN routing does not even show me the R availability. It seems to try to mirror the HKG-SIN availability making it C8, D8, Z8 when ORD-HKG alone is C9, D9, Z9.

The date i am looking at is May 31 so unless there is something new i did not know, this is absurd to me. The agent is telling me about fare structures and stuff that dont make sense as there is either R or no R.

Can any one out there enlighten me?

Thanks
Old May 15, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by panjfj
The agent is telling me about fare structures and stuff that dont make sense as there is either R or no R.
You are not correct about that (R or no R). Availability can (and frequently does) depend on routing. It's called "married segments" and there are numerous discussions of it on here.

A recent one:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ment-hell.html
Old May 15, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
pricing wise, i know about married segments and understand the reasons for them existing, but that has never been the case with upgrades, at least with PMUA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.