Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by channa
But if you were to apply a SWU to LAX-NRT-BKK, LAX-NRT would clear immediately, regardless of what it shows.

It's more of a query issue rather than a practical issue.

Now there still is an issue about waitlisted upgrades not clearing properly. And whether this has any relevance, who knows. It's certainly worth exploring since I'm not aware of an official answer.
Correct but many times the w/l segment will never clear on its own. If you upgrade 1 out of 2 segments w the 2nd waitlisted, then you either need to check every 5 min or invest in ExpertFlyer. Of course, then when R opens up on the 2nd leg and you call. Be prepared to either get a sUA agent who is willing to do it for you but does not know how or a sCO agent who knows how but is not willing
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
I never encountered this problem prior to 3/3, and it is annoying that one has to continue to seek manual intervention to have problems solved. Hopefully, they will address this issue in the coming months.
Actually pmUA had this same problem even if you never bumped into it. If you were booked on a direct flight where upgrades were available on only one leg the upgrade was impossible without fairly heroic intervention by an agent. To see how whacky that was I once had a business class reservation DXB-IAD-SFO on a "direct" flight (I didn't originally book it as such knowing better than to do that but changing flight numbers and pricing had my TA get it to that state.) Note that in that case I was already in First class on the domestic leg but UA (system and a GS agent) said that I couldn't upgrade the DXB-IAD leg C to F since there was not "upgrade" space available on IAD-SFO! (I wonder what fare bucket they used for F to cockpit upgrades? ) Took a more advanced GS agent to work that one out. So while I think SHARES is a very poor piece of software this particular glitch isn't SHARES specific.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by halls120
I never encountered this problem prior to 3/3, and it is annoying that one has to continue to seek manual intervention to have problems solved. Hopefully, they will address this issue in the coming months.
I used to get it all the time - I used to specifically do a multicity booking to get round the problem on the one that caused me most headache (the then 935/4 LHR-HNL via LAX). And there it was a real block unless both had NC/F availability in my experience.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Every week somebody makes this incorrect assumption and posts about it. Maybe a sticky is needed.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:49 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Fare Class Availability Discrepancy

I logged into my reservation to check and see if any R class opened on my EWR-LHR leg in October. I noticed that when I log into my reservation and click on "Fare Class" the availability shown for R class is different then when I just search the exact same flight on the same date. Why the difference?

When I am in my reservation...

When I am just searching this flight on the same date...
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The flight search one is "marrying" the two flights. So the fact that CLE-EWR is zero is harming the EWR-LHR.

In reality, upgrades are cleared on a segment-by-segment basis, so EWR-LHR should be fine.

Search EWR-LHR standalone to verify.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:10 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
That was exactly it. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:27 pm

It appears you're on an L fare, which I don't believe is GPU-able anyway? Unless you're talking about doing something different for the EWR-LHR leg.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
My question has to do with married segments, though not necessarily upgrading them. Is it possible to separate them? More to the point, has anyone found an agent willing to do so?

I have an upcoming IAD-ORD-NRT-BKK trip and I've noticed that R/RN has opened up for IAD-NRT as well as my original booking class. I'd rather take the direct flight to NRT (of course realizing that I'd have to pay a change fee) but the NRT-BKK flight is only showing Y1. Of course, I'm already confirmed in C for that flight so the only availability I "need" is IAD-NRT. But the agent quoted me a nearly $3000 change fee (uh, no thanks) because the segments couldn't be split. Am I out of luck?

The same goes for my travel companion who's booked into I/IN. There's I/IN availability on IAD-NRT but not on the NRT-BKK flight for which he's already confirmed in I/IN.

If the married segments can't be split, is there any chance I might be able to change flights within 24 hours on SDC if everything is still available?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by glasnost7
My question has to do with married segments, though not necessarily upgrading them. Is it possible to separate them? More to the point, has anyone found an agent willing to do so?
Hang up and redial trying another agent.

They should be able to split the record for through flights.

You might try asking to split the through flights so you can select different seats per flight, rather than using the upgrade reason.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HiltonHonors Diamond
same flight, same fare class, different R avail

Hi Folks,

I have done some searches and have not found anything on this question, if I missed it, I apologize and would appreciate it if someone could point me to the correct thread.

I am a first time 1K and I am trying to use my GPU to go to a wedding in London in September. I have seen some strange things and have a couple questions I hope you can help with.

I have updated to expert mode, can see the R availability. Have made sure I am using W+ fare class so the flights are upgrade eligible.

On the way over, no problem, found a flight, on the way back... The only flights available have 2 stop overs, and are old united domestic 757 most of the way. One of the worst planes in my opinion.

So I would like to fly LHR-HNL on the 10:30 flight LHR-SFO-HNL 747 transfer to 767-400, But both legs of the flight show R0/RN0.

The weirdness comes if I check SFO to HNL flight 73, in W fare class on the same flight it shows R9/RN9.

So same flight, same fare class, different availability.

If I book this flight and apply my upgrade will I be confirmed immediately on SFO-HNL? which "R availabiltiy" applies.

Then what happens with my waitlist for the other leg? I have read in other threads that if R availabilty opens up I should call united to get them to apply the upgrade, if they wont/cant then redeposit the award ticket and reapply to grab the R-availabilty. If I am already confirmed on one leg, I can't just redepost/reapply.

And here is the big question. If I do this, get upgraded on SFO-HNL but NOT LHR-SFO. According to the united upgrade rules, if your "business first" leg is not upgraded you will not be charged the upgrade cert. Is this true? Would I not waste a certificate? But got confirmed way early!

The SFO leg is a udu flight, and I have about as 90% success rate on HNL-West coast upgrades ( even before I was 1K ) I would hate to waste 2 cert on a flight I might get anyway.

Any Advice. Thanks!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
This a known bug at United.com. In this case if you apply a GPU your SFO-HNL will immediately clear because R is available. When you do a flight search that involves multiple segments it will display the lowest R value of any of the segments on all of the segments. So LHR-SFO is R0, SFO-HNL is R9, but because of the glitch they both say R0. When doing these searches it's always best to check each segment separately to determine true R value for each.

If you apply the GPU and LHR-SFO never clears I don't think you'll get your GPU back if SFO-HNL is operated by a 764...because those are equipped with BusinessFirst and lie flat seats. If you were on a regular domestic 2 class plane then you'd be able to have it returned to you (which would very likely require a phone call).
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Book the whole thing in W. One certificate. IF SFO/HNL clears, but LHR/SFO doesn't, you get the GPU back. This is if I understand your question...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HiltonHonors Diamond
Thanks for the info. That does explain it!

The actual statement for the upgrade is:
In most cases, the Global Premier Upgrade will be considered used if any segment of an itinerary is upgraded or flown. However, for travel which includes segments in United BusinessFirst or United Global First, the Global Premier Upgrade will be re-deposited if the United BusinessFirst or United Global First segment(s) could not be upgraded

Since the SFO-HNL leg on th e 767-400 is currently listed as "united First" it should pass this test, but I do agree with you it is a premium flight, probably should be considered Business First. Does not compare to the 757 they fly on this route all of the time.

That being said there are 38 seats in first, so getting a complimentary upgrade should be pretty easy. So I would rather not use a GPU for it.

If I dont' get the LHR-SFO leg upgraded can a change to RPU after?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Book the whole thing in W. One certificate. IF SFO/HNL clears, but LHR/SFO doesn't, you get the GPU back. West Coast to Hawaii not marketed as BF and is CPU-eligible regardless plane/seating type (unless this has changed recently). This is if I understand your question...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 15, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.