Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
You search AAA-BBB-CCC and see R0 but later just search BBB-CCC and see R>0?

Or you search AAA-DDD-BBB-CCC and R>0 but not the same number as BBB-CCC shows?

Why does AAA-BBB-CCC shows R=0 but the other routes R>0 (but not always the same amount)???

This is related to how fare class availability to created for multi-segment trips.
The fare class availability is displayed as the minimum of each same fare class inventory of all the segments. So if looking for a T fare, all the segments need to have T fare inventory. If any one is T=0, then the multi-segment results is 0 or whatever the minimum inventory is.

This is true for R --- but the good news is upgrades will clear based on individual segments (except in the case of Direct flights).

So in the above case, regardless of routing the BBB-CCC segment can clear on application of certs or miles.

The general recommendation is to search for the critical upgradeable segments individually -- note the R availability. Then book the desired multi-segment trip and apply the upgrade.
In the slim chance the R space disappears in the meantime, you can make use of the 24 hour free cancellation window to start-over.
Print Wikipost

R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by silent129
Here's some evidence of this craziness. Same flight (UA 116), different R/RN availability. I've been on hold for 1 hour with the 1K line and they can't figure it out. On their end, they don't see any R/RN availability! Craziness.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
What did the agent say? What was the outcome?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:35 am

Programs: United 1K
Epic fail. First guy was non-US based, non-1K line (even though I called the 1K number) and basically said "what do you want me to do?" and went silent as if he just wanted me to go away.

Second lady was a US-based, 1K-line and had good intentions but couldn't do anything. I couldn't book online because I was searching for a HKG-BOS-TPE fare, but the website would let me search for those fares in W class (kept giving me Y or B despite what I put into the fare box). She couldn't see what I was seeing on the website in terms of availability and spent an hour sounding confused.

Do these agents have access to the Internet so they can search their own website and see what we are talking about? I got the sense that none of them had actually performed a search on their own website before and thus had nonsensical answers.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by silent129
Epic fail. First guy was non-US based, non-1K line (even though I called the 1K number) and basically said "what do you want me to do?" and went silent as if he just wanted me to go away.

Second lady was a US-based, 1K-line and had good intentions but couldn't do anything. I couldn't book online because I was searching for a HKG-BOS-TPE fare, but the website would let me search for those fares in W class (kept giving me Y or B despite what I put into the fare box). She couldn't see what I was seeing on the website in terms of availability and spent an hour sounding confused.

Do these agents have access to the Internet so they can search their own website and see what we are talking about? I got the sense that none of them had actually performed a search on their own website before and thus had nonsensical answers.
For what its worth 116 is still showing R5...

The reason you won't have got a W fare is because of the open jaw between different countries assuming you really mean hkg-bos-tpe. You probably want two one way tickets to avoid the fare issue.

And no the agents don't access the web site - that's why any request along the lines of "but I can see X" get punted off to web support. Whilst there are lots of annoying things about the new website, I think the logic behind showing fare classes for the whole flight is correct, if frustrating when looking for R availability. .bomb didn't use to do that which led to lots of confusion as to why tickets came out in higher fare classes than people thought they could see. The fact we want to see R availability by segment is not really one that troubles the average traveller!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:20 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Married segment hell (Upgrades)

I have a direct one-stop flight tomorrow DCA-ORD-DEN

There is "R" space on ORD-DEN (A320) but nothing on DCA-ORD (B757).

I called UA and they told me that even if they COULD split the flights (which they can't) they still wouldn't be able to upgrade me.

Anything else I can do (besides not book married segments ever again)?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by g_leyser
I called UA and they told me that even if they COULD split the flights (which they can't) they still wouldn't be able to upgrade me.
They wouldn't be able to upgrade you as the computer will have to do it, but if you split them up, the computer will see you as eligible.

So, I would call back and hope to get a legacy CO rep. CO used to do this sort of thing from time to time.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured
I might be missing something about your post that I don't understand, but on PMCO there was never a problem getting upgraded on one hop of a multi-hop flight if upgrade space was available for that hop.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by electroflyer
I might be missing something about your post that I don't understand, but on PMCO there was never a problem getting upgraded on one hop of a multi-hop flight if upgrade space was available for that hop.
If they were booked as a direct flight it was.

The OP is not correctly using the term "married."
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA1K/2MM; LT United Club; HH Diamond; MR LT Titanium; IHG Plat; National EE
Was told splitting segments "against policy"

In January, I had two SFO-FLL "direct" flights (separate r/t) that not only stopped in IAH, but I had to change gates AND equipment. (Since when is that NOT a connection?)

On the first go-round I lucked out and a PMCO agent split the segments and I scored the upgrade. On the second trip I couldn't find anyone that was willing or able to do it (and was told it was specifically prohibited at my home airport), and sat in coach the whole trip.

I wrote a letter at the end of January, NOT because I didn't get upgraded, but because I think they should either sell it as a connector or split the segments. Of course, haven't heard back...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:57 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Originally Posted by channa

Sorry, I thought married segments were two segments with the same flight number. Is that not correct?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I thought married segments were two segments with the same flight number. Is that not correct?
No, that's a direct flight.

Married segments refers to inventory differences when you look at flights together vs. separately.

e.g.,
DCA-ORD-DEN may be S0; but

DCA-ORD may be S9
ORD-DEN may be S9

(or vice versa).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
That's just a direct flight. AFAIK married segments are when multiple segments (could be different flight numbers) are "married" together in a way that they control availability when the segments are married but may offer different availability when they are booked separately. e.g. SFO-NRT-BKK (different flight numbers) may have G class availability when they are married but SFO-NRT and/or NRT-BKK may have no G availability when you try to book them separately or using multi-city search.

EDIT: channa beat me to it
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by channa

How about "hell"?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:31 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Ok, so I am using the term correctly, I just didn't explain it well.

These are indeed married segments. The "R" availability shows "0" when the flight is DCA-DEN, but if you look at the segments individually, ORD-DEN shows as "R2".

So I took the advice listed here and called again. After a lengthy hold, the agent was able to get a supervisor to break up the flight into two individual segments.

However, I am still in coach on the ORD-DEN flight, even though it still shows "R2." Should I be able to confirm that with CPU, or will I need to wait for the 24 hour window (which is in just a few hours).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k

These are indeed married segments. The "R" availability shows "0" when the flight is DCA-DEN, but if you look at the segments individually, ORD-DEN shows as "R2".

So I took the advice listed here and called again. After a lengthy hold, the agent was able to get a supervisor to break up the flight into two individual segments.

However, I am still in coach on the ORD-DEN flight, even though it still shows "R2." Should I be able to confirm that with CPU, or will I need to wait for the 24 hour window (which is in just a few hours).
You will need to wait for the EUA sweep. another change we will like. in the old UA days, it would have cleared immediately.

and i don't htink you are using the term correctly. "married" has only to do w/pricing, nothing to do w/upgrades. yours is direct. already explained above.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note quite since you were on DCA-DEN. Married segments refers to selecting DCA-ORD-DEN and getting different availability than DCA-ORD and ORD-DEN would suggest you would receive.

Since in your case, there is no DCA-ORD-DEN, just DCA-DEN as one flight number, it's not your usual married segments encounter.

Glad you got it done. Up to you -- there's no visibility into this, and at the 24-hour window, EUA will run again (and run frequently), so it may exhaust the space if you're not the next person.

Additionally, with R holdbacks in some markets (where R doesn't run down to zero during the sweep), there could be many people ahead of you. It's impossible to tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.