Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
2 Meals Served

The last time I took the non-stop in F, they served two meals each way:

IAH - ANC:

1. Mid-con Lunch:
- Start with bag of Cashews
- Choice of Chicken Sandwich or Salad with Shrimp
- Minestrone Soup
- Brownie

2. Warm Chocolate Cookies

3. Mid-Con Snack Plate
- Cold Cut, Cheese and Crudites snack plate
- Milano Cookies
- Bowl of Fruit

ANC - IAH

1. Mid-Con Dinner
- Salad with Ranch Dressing & Roll
- Choice of Pasta with Beef or Beef Short Ribs with Potatoes & Veggies
- Raspberry Cheesecake

2. Continental Breakfast
- Croissant w/ Strawberry Preserves & Butter
- Blueberry Yogurt

Overall pretty decent, but nowhere near other 3,200 mile flights. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The realigned meal service guidelines could bring improvements to the service, since "most long haul flights" are expected to get sundae service. We shall see.

I flew the nonstop last year in F on the 752 and received the same service as above. Definitely a bit skimpy.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: UA*PP, SPG*G
Regardless, the whole point of having two meal choices is variety so a person that does not enjoy the contents of one entree can choose to have another. That choice is diminished when both choices have the same meat. It is like saying "Today you have chicken or nothing", and I'm guessing the airline's intent was different than this.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kozykritter
Regardless, the whole point of having two meal choices is variety so a person that does not enjoy the contents of one entree can choose to have another. That choice is diminished when both choices have the same meat. It is like saying "Today you have chicken or nothing", and I'm guessing the airline's intent was different than this.
Or maybe not. This is the same gang that has recently been offering "cashews or nothing" instead of mixed nuts.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
EWR764, I sure hope so, but not holding my breath on that one. Most of the service announcements so far have been somewhat vague in terms of execution and generally compromises between both airlines existing service standards.

I guess as a comparison, what do some of the other airlines such as DL, AA or US do service-wise in F on long flights to ANC from DFW, ATL (seasonal/discontinued) and PHL (seasonal/discontinued)? Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
US has one meal service on the PHX-ANC flight and nothing on the ANC-PHX flight, even though the return arrives back in PHX at 8am...

Originally Posted by No1racer
EWR764, I sure hope so, but not holding my breath on that one. Most of the service announcements so far have been somewhat vague in terms of execution and generally compromises between both airlines existing service standards.

I guess as a comparison, what do some of the other airlines such as DL, AA or US do service-wise in F on long flights to ANC from DFW, ATL (seasonal/discontinued) and PHL (seasonal/discontinued)? Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: United Platinum
Flight/Route: CO1605/IAH-LAX
Aircraft/Seat: 737/1A (domestic first class)
Departure Time/Duration: 11:30am/ ~3.25 hours
Meal: Lunch

Started with a bag of almonds then had choice of shrimp salad (cold shrimp on lettuce essentially or chicken Parmesan sandwich).

All were served with mushroom soup, milano cookies, bread/butter, and nice sliced fruit plate

Flight/Route: UA370/LAX-HNL
Aircraft/Seat: 767/1F (domestic first class)
Departure Time/Duration: 5pm/ ~5.5 hours
Meal: Dinner

Started with hot nuts served at the seat. Then served bread and salad followed a few minutes later by dinner. Choice of Macademia nut crusted chicken or seabass with asian vegetables...went with the seabass and it was great. Then came around with one rather small fresh baked cookie per person. They had mai tais and champagne on this flight being island service which was nice. FAs were very attentive but would have liked to see a snack even if pretzels and peanuts later in the flight before landing.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Previously 5 year AS Gold 75, UA MM Lifetime Gold
I think you misunderstood my post...both choices were chicken. There was not an option without chicken offered on these flights....
...I don't understand why UA and CO would do this given that there are people like myself that can't eat chicken but can eat any other meat. I end up having to skip the meal service, which takes away one of the main perks of being upgraded in the first place...!
I recently had the same two choices SEA-IAH: chicken sandwich or a salad with grilled chicken added to it. The salad itself wasn't terrible, and certainly could have been eaten w/o the chicken. While the minestrone isn't my favorite of the soup collection, it was still pretty good. And of course, the fruit bowl is, well, a bowl of fruit. Throw in the roll and cookies, and it looks like you passed up a feast.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
The realigned meal service guidelines could bring improvements to the service, since "most long haul flights" are expected to get sundae service. We shall see.

I flew the nonstop last year in F on the 752 and received the same service as above. Definitely a bit skimpy.

Will these new guidelines take place before July 2012[/U]
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
ORD-EWR (CO1574) on January 15

No selection of meal.

Monterey Chicken sandwich - actually fairly good, but too messy to eat as a sandwich
Cream of mushroom soup - I don't like mushrooms, but don't mind the flavor. The soup was horrible in my opinion.
Fruit plate - nice mix of fresh fruit (cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, grapes, grapefruit)
Flavored almonds
Cookies
Robert Mondavi Red - I don't know if it was reserve or the year as I chose a Chardonney I had never heard of, which was okay.

Very attentive flight attendants. Routinely were around refilling drinks and making sure everyone was okay.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
was this a UA or CO 767?

Originally Posted by Devyan1
Flight/Route: UA370/LAX-HNL
Aircraft/Seat: 767/1F (domestic first class)
Departure Time/Duration: 5pm/ ~5.5 hours
Meal: Dinner

Started with hot nuts served at the seat. Then served bread and salad followed a few minutes later by dinner. Choice of Macademia nut crusted chicken or seabass with asian vegetables...went with the seabass and it was great. Then came around with one rather small fresh baked cookie per person. They had mai tais and champagne on this flight being island service which was nice. FAs were very attentive but would have liked to see a snack even if pretzels and peanuts later in the flight before landing.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
UA. A CO 767 would be BF, not F.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
01/14/12
UA863
JFK-SFO
B757-200
PS C Dinner

To start

Warm mixed nuts (got the full mixed nuts, not just the cashews)

http://i40.tinypic.com/w1sghe.jpg

Appetizer

Green salad w/ asian dressing, a spring roll (which was absolutely tasteless---yuck!) and a choice of wheat or harvest dinner roll.

Hey, United, just out of curiosity-have you guys ever heard of sourdough bread? Or anything that's not whole grain? Maybe Michelle Obama is designing the menus? :-P
http://i43.tinypic.com/23sdi0i.jpg

Dinner Entree

A choice of: short rib, spinach lasagna roll, and 3rd can't remember. Got the short rib.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2itnbyb.jpg

Dessert

Ice cream sundae. I believe it was strawberry and vanilla. The whipped cream is a nice touch. They used real whip from the can too (not Cool Whip)
http://i44.tinypic.com/16bx3kj.jpg

Followed by a cranberry cookie (not pictured).

Overall a good service and my first PS dinner flight. Compared with AA I'd say AA is a notch upward with a much better appetizer (usually proscuitto w/ melon or shrimp with rice noodles), and chocolate chip cookies instead of the cranberry. UA also seems to use a standard domestic salad rather than an upgraded one.

I did find UA's ice cream bowl with real whip was tastier than AA's.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; AA Plat; Hertz Pres Circle, Hilton Diamond
DCA / IAH

CO 1639 DCA/IAH
6:00 am

PDB served
Hot towel service
Choice of cereal or cheese omelette
Served with yoghurt, fruit bowl, and (with omelette) sausage patties & potato/brocolli casserole
Biscuits or cinnamon roll

CO 1285 IAH/DCA
2:45 pm

PDB served
Hot towel service
Packaged almonds - no hot nuts
Choice of shrimp Caesar salad or chicken parm pocket
Served with minestrone, fruit bowl, hard roll, and Milano cookies
WARNING: Rogue PMCO FAs do not take orders by status, just front to back
(after a bit of a fuss, they did comp a snack from the back)
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by washdcguy
WARNING: Rogue PMCO FAs do not take orders by status, just front to back
(after a bit of a fuss, they did comp a snack from the back)
Have they officially switched to the PMUA method?! I must have missed that. (Though would be happy if they did)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.