Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - Domestic First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Flight/Route: UA599/SFO-MSY
Aircraft/Seat: A320/3F (domestic first class)
Departure Time/Duration: 5:02pm/ ~4 hours
Meal: Dinner

I had the same chicken stuffed with spinach that Kurt showed a picture above, and it was horribly, dreadfully bad. Normally, when I get food in F I eat it, especially if it's meat (my wife is quasi-vegetarian and has indoctrinated me into believing that if I'm going to order a dead animal I ought to eat it). But I couldn't do it on this flight.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by ozflier
Also I was shocked to be offered my choice of tea - great as I prefer green or oolong tea and both were available.
Wow. I love green and oolong teas too, and prefer them to black teas on long flights because they have less caffeine. I usually bring my own tea bags but I am going to see what UA has on my BOS-SFO transcons this weekend.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
1/8/12
UA967 IAD-LAX
3 Class 777: Business (Old config)

Choice of PDB for some of the cabin. They made it to me in row 12, but just barely

Dinner: Asian chicken w/ rice and salad. UA's Salads have improved over the past year, but I am getting tired of this Asian chicken dish. Cranberry cookie after dinner.

1/13/12
CO1576 SJC-IAH
737-800: Domestic First

Choice of PDB

Breakfast: A poor imitation of the former CO breakfast. It is now the standard UA breakfast (Eggs - "mushroom omelet" in this case; quite tiny, a piece of sausage, a tomato, fruit, and potato cake), with the addition of yogurt in a bowl and choice of bread/sweet roll. Sad to see this one go down hill, as this was one of the few things I hoped would make it from CO->UA.

Cookie offered 2/3rds of the way through the flight!!

1/13/12
CO1642 IAH-DCA
737-800 (no IFE): Domestic First

Choice of PDB

Lunch: Choice of shrimp salad or chicken calzone. I went with the calzone, which was also served with vegetable soup, some fruit, and packaged cookies. The calzone was decent, though it was really just a glorified hot pocket. In terms of entree, I think UA's saddest lunch (the sandwitch) beats this one. The soup was okay.

No cookie, which was strange considering the previous flight.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA*PP, SPG*G
Several times after ending up in First Class on UA and CO after UDU/EUA, when they served lunch or dinner, the two choices were both chicken dishes. I don't understand why UA and CO would do this given that there are people like myself that can't eat chicken but can eat any other meat. I end up having to skip the meal service, which takes away one of the main perks of being upgraded in the first place.

There is no special meal labeled "not chicken" that can be ordered Actually, I don't think they even do any kind of special meals on domestic flights anymore, if I recall properly. UA/CO, please provide more variety and no meat duplication in meal choices...thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
From a dietary standpoint, more people are willing to eat chicken then say Beef and or Pork. But since there are two choices for domestic FC you could have had the "other" choice which is usually a pasta or salad item. Also in the future when you board you can as the FC FA what on the menu for food, and they say "chicken" let them know you can't eat it, they will usually hold a 2nd choice for your main choice.

I have to ask since I have never heard anyone who can't eat chicken, why cna't you eat chicken?

Originally Posted by kozykritter
Several times after ending up in First Class on UA and CO after UDU/EUA, when they served lunch or dinner, the two choices were both chicken dishes. I don't understand why UA and CO would do this given that there are people like myself that can't eat chicken but can eat any other meat. I end up having to skip the meal service, which takes away one of the main perks of being upgraded in the first place.

There is no special meal labeled "not chicken" that can be ordered Actually, I don't think they even do any kind of special meals on domestic flights anymore, if I recall properly. UA/CO, please provide more variety and no meat duplication in meal choices...thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:37 am

I think you misunderstood my post...both choices were chicken. There was not an option without chicken offered on these flights. In the past, I would ask the flight attendant for a sandwich from the Buy On Board selections, which they provided free of charge. However, they have stopped doing this because First Class passengers were passing the food back to their companions back in Economy.

Like any food out there, there are people who cannot eat chicken for medical or other reasons.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:56 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
However, they have stopped doing this because First Class passengers were passing the food back to their companions back in Economy.
They have absolutely not stopped doing this; arguably people could do the same thing with drinks but they don't. We just requested BoB in F on LGA-ORD (UA) and also PVR-IAH (CO) recently and had no issues with either.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:34 am

Thanks for the input. The last two times I tried this I was refused with the stated excuse but based upon your experience, I will keep trying.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:50 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by robjorg
I've searched the Let's Eat threads (and others), but can't get a confirmation on this. The last 5-or-so times I've taken this last-of-the-day flight from JFK, it was a "snack" flight in C. Now, it's showing "dinner, refreshments" on my e-mail confirmation and on united.com. Is this a change since my last 297 flight in November? Can anybody confirm?

Thanks and safe travels.
This was the snack on UA 771, the 8:30 p.m. JFK-LAX on January 13:

Cold chicken on penne pasta with mandarin oranges, edamame, and almonds, with a citrus dressing.

The other choice was a fruit and cheese plate.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I think you need to read my username, however I do not know of a medical reason why people can't eat chicken. I'm not saying its not possible.

Like any food out there, there are people who cannot eat chicken for medical or other reasons.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:43 am

Meal Service ANC-IAH?

I am flying ANC-IAH redeye flight in summer...
I'm in F, and the itinerary says dinner.
What does this mean?
Because it is a 7 hr flight, will it be like transcontinental or just two course.
Will there be ice cream?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Why would they serve dinner on a red-eye flight. SEA-EWR is 5 hours and they serve a sandwich.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:00 am

Idk but that's definitely what it says....
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Except for...

I believe this flight stops in SEA.

SunLover
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:21 am

No it doesn't. There is one that does, but during summer there is a nonstop redeye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.