Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by gohima
Im glad UA is now serving Krug in GF
Fly NH F...

UA flyers will never see good champagne again. At least while in the air!
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Are you talking about in F or in J? I remember SFO777 posting breakfast pictures from Swiss airlines that looked like a pretty good breakfast. I know other arines have served a much better breakfast then the Deli Plate. But I have to say, a choice would be nice, for me, I would take the Deli plate, my partner would rather have the eggs.
C. If you don't believe me, check out this trip report Swiss JFK-ZRH:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qso8Mb8Npro
(go to 6:00 min in).

Breakfast is...a croissant and a crap bowl of fruit

LH isn't much better. The fact is, though, after a full dinner and sometimes a mid-flight snack, most people just aren't that hungry ~4-5 hours later.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by andrewwm
The fact is, though, after a full dinner and sometimes a mid-flight snack, most people just aren't that hungry ~4-5 hours later.
Precisely. I have flown UA TATL/TPAC dozens of times in the last few years and not once have I had breakfast. Why bother when decent food is online a couple hours away? Waste of space. And calories.

But what I get a kick out of is the occasional passenger asking for wine or a mixed drink with breakfast... nice! It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ainternational
<snip>
But what I get a kick out of is the occasional passenger asking for wine or a mixed drink with breakfast... nice! It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
Don't judge me too harshly...as I am one that you would see do this.

For me, it is usually as an aid for sleep management. Regardless of what the "experts" say, it does help me when trying to sleep at irregular hours to adjust to new time zones.

Of course, sometimes it is just because I am finally on vacation....

On the topic of deli plate for breakfast, I am just fine with that. I would much rather have such a plate than an egg puck. I am not sure why but there seems to be a bias toward hot food anytime someone is on a plane. A good quality cold meal can be just fine, and probably taste better.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
As promised, here is the wine list for Global First (it is a separate folder, unlike BusinessFirst, which lists wines as part of the regular menu). I make no judgements as to the taste, scarcity or status of any of the wines listed

Champagne

Philipponnat Brut 2006 Champagne

or

Nicholas Feuillate Brut 2006 Champagne

White Wine

Bouchard Père & Fils Beaune du Château Premier Cru Blanc 2008

Groom Sauvignon Blanc 2011, Adelaide Hills

Red Wine

Château Forcas Dupré Listrac-Médoc Cru Borgeois 2009

Alexander Valley Vineyards Syrah 2008 Sonoma County

or

Dry Creek Vineyard Meritage 2007, Sonoma

Besides the wine, the only differences I can see between Global First and BusinessFirst is the appetizer and the addition of a soup course:

Warm appetizer
Vegetable spring roll and coconut shrimp skewer with mango chutney

Soup
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Bisque

Also, the Port is listed as Graham's Late Bottled Vintage Port
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:10 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by andrewwm
I understand preferences differ, etc. etc. but I find the reconstituted egg breakfasts to be pretty gross, and at least with a deli plate you know what you're gonna get (rather than mystery egg-like thing, which is what we got on pmUA).

And to head off all those that say, yeah but on a true premium airline we'd get x, y, and z, both Swiss and Lufthansa serve similar for breakfast.
Flew LX C SFO-ZRH in December and we were served a deli plate of cheeses, along with yogurt and bread. Afterwards, an omlette with cherry tomato and a sausage was served. Not sure if this applies on shorter TATL flights on LX, such as JFK-ZRH or ORD-ZRH.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Not sure if this applies on shorter TATL flights on LX, such as JFK-ZRH or ORD-ZRH.
I flew LX C last December from BOS-ZRH and we did have an egg option for the breakfast meal. But, as others have said, being such short flights my wife and I both opted for coffee/tea and some yoghurt, fruits and bread.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Express Dine?

Tried a search but came up empty.

I haven't flown C on UA metal since 3/3 so I was wondering if they still offer Express Dine? Alex wasn't particularly helpful and I see no mention of it on the website. Hopefully this is still an option...
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Just a personal preference: Deli plate over eggs any day inside of an airplane!
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by glasnost7

I haven't flown C on UA metal since 3/3 so I was wondering if they still offer Express Dine? Alex wasn't particularly helpful and I see no mention of it on the website. Hopefully this is still an option...
Indeed it is an option still.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Kurt
As promised, here is the wine list for Global First (it is a separate folder, unlike BusinessFirst, which lists wines as part of the regular menu). I make no judgements as to the taste, scarcity or status of any of the wines listed

Champagne

or

White Wine

Red Wine

or

What did you think of the quality of the wines? (The reds seem to do around $15 in the shops).
Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kurt

Champagne

or

White Wine

Red Wine

or

Besides the wine, the only differences I can see between Global First and BusinessFirst is the appetizer and the addition of a soup course:

Warm appetizer
Vegetable spring roll and coconut shrimp skewer with mango chutney

Soup
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Bisque

Also, the Port is listed as Graham's Late Bottled Vintage Port
Interesting. Is the Feuillate the blue label version? If so this used to be served in the pmUA business cabin after takeoff. Another example of quality creep...
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:21 pm

How's the new catering for the Japanese meal SFO-NRT?

I'm flying BF SFO-NRT-BKK this week. Back in April and May, airinternational posted saying he found the Japanese catering ("Washoku Zen") ex-SFO to be pretty unsatisfactory:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18399337-post122.html

Has anyone had the Japanese meal ex-SFO since the PMCO new catering "alignment" in June? Curious if I should pre-order it, or if I should skip it.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Originally Posted by glasnost7

Indeed it is an option still.

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by eflyte
Interesting. Is the Feuillate the blue label version? If so this used to be served in the pmUA business cabin after takeoff. Another example of quality creep...
The champagnes in UA Int'l F are vintage while those in UA C are non-vintage, at least IME. I don't ever recall getting vintage champagne in UA C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.