Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Let's Eat - International First, BusinessFirst, & Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by harryhood
So my last 2 trips through NRT (including 10/10) included the "zen" selection on each leg.
I seem to remember that the Japanese meal can be ordered ahead of time. Did you call in for that?

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm Reason: spelled out meal
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA, CO, AC, EVA
Zen on UA

Originally Posted by harryhood
On any trip to NRT, I always pick the Japanese selection. It isn't always perfect but I find it much more interesting then the overcooked beef and dry chicken. Only if they serve a pasta dish will I think twice.

So my last 2 trips through NRT (including 10/10) included the "zen" selection on each leg.
I'd only order the Zen menu if I'm originating from Japan, the US kitchen have messed up rather horribly (very dry fish, deader than dead vegetables, etc.). Last time I flew UA to NRT, the filet was not mignon at all, it was so dried I thought I got beef jerky. I'm flying ANA from then on...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I seem to remember that the Japanese meal can be ordered ahead of time. Did you call in for that?
I don't know, I've never tried to preorder it. It's always listed on the menu cards they hand out preflight. There is limited supply, however, so sometimes you don't get it.

Originally Posted by burbujasdeamor
I'd only order the Zen menu if I'm originating from Japan, the US kitchen have messed up rather horribly (very dry fish, deader than dead vegetables, etc.). Last time I flew UA to NRT, the filet was not mignon at all, it was so dried I thought I got beef jerky. I'm flying ANA from then on...
I haven't noticed a difference. My thinking is that there are lots of sample sized "dishes" or "bites" being served and its not possible for them to screw them all up (vs getting a lsab of "filet" that is clearly overcooked and dry).

My last one, on 10/10 NRT-IAD, was ok except the appetizer part included a whole small fish (blech) and a dry, smoked chunk of eel (bones and all, yuck). Otherwise, there's suually sashimi, a small noodle bowl, bites of random proteins, and then the main course (fish or pork usually).

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 25, 2012 at 2:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have had NRT catering and the Zen meals were not that good either.

It is more of a "hit&miss" experience over the years.

I still prefer the original Bento Boxes served in the 90s.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I had a flight which I purposely book in the 90's, SFO-EWR in a DC8, this was when UA brought back some of thier DC8 they parked. I was in F and had the Bento Box, which was excellent, that would be a nice item to have today.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Old Oct 18, 2012, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I had a flight which I purposely book in the 90's, SFO-EWR in a DC8, this was when UA brought back some of thier DC8 they parked. I was in F and had the Bento Box, which was excellent, that would be a nice item to have today.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Too bad no photo trip report of that flight!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:20 am

Meals for YHZ-ORD in Business class?

the 857 am flight is almost 4 hours long....no breakfast service??
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CLTF
the 857 am flight is almost 4 hours long....no breakfast service??
Ignore what it says on flight status.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
Ignore what it says on flight status.
...but it's also not going to be a real breakfast service, as it's an E70 route (note it would be on DL or AA).

OP, you'll get a snack box full of carbs. Suggest you have some food before you board the plane.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
this is true..

Originally Posted by MileCards
Too bad no photo trip report of that flight!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by mh3265a
SFO-NRT:
UA 837
Boeing 7474
BusinessFirst

TO BEGIN:
Chilled Appetizer: Jumbo Shrimp and a massive piece of sushi with crab and avocado

Fresh Seasonal Greens
Tomatoes, Kalamata olives, bell p;eppers, baby mozzarella and croutons with your choice of creamy garlic dressing or balsamic vinaigrette

MAIN COURSE

Tenderloin of Beef
Asiago broth, brown butter gnocchi and green asparagus

Spice-rubbed Breast of Chicken
Mustard barbecue sauce, steamed rice, mixed vegetables and pickled cabbage

Grilled Fillet of Amazon Cod
Plum jus sauce, plantains and green beans

Washoku Zen Selection
Appetizers of layered egg, simmered duck with karashi miso, smoked salmon, teriyaki-glazed claamari, grilled scallop, marinated crabmeat and cha-soba noodles with simmered oyster mushrooms

A main course of chicken miso yuan yaki, tori gin-an, simmered burdock and daikon, sugar snap peas and carrot flowers, steamed rice and Japanese-style pickles

TO FINISH

International Cheese Selection
Grapes and crackers served with Noval Fine Ruby Port

Dessert
Ice cream with your choice of toppings
Had the same offering IAH-LHR, minus the Japanese option plus Tri-color Ravioli: Cherry tomato sauce and herbed butternut squash with Parmesan cheese [which was provided in a sachet, adding a touch of sophistication]. Chose the chicken, which was very underwhelming. All of the sauce was stuck to the skin, which may have kept the chicken breast moist, but was flabby and had an unpleasant mature hen flavour. Undercooked rice, lots of boring courgette pieces. The pickled cabbage was delicious - unfortunately, only a single sliver was provided.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:35 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
GUM-HNL:
UA 200
Boeing 777 (2-class domestic config)
BusinessFirst

TO BEGIN:
Fresh seasonal fruit:
With flavored yogurt (Blueberry muffins and breakfast breads with butter and fruit preserves)

MAIN COURSE

Mushroom Omelette
Rosti potatoes, ham, chicken-apple sausage, broccoli and grilled tomato

Breakfast Brochette
Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, pineapple, tomato and zucchini with pork and vegetable fried rice

Scrambled Eggs and Pancakes with Maple Syrup
Canadian bacon and pork sausage

Oatmeal with Dried Cranberries and Brown Sugar
Fresh banana

MID-FLIGHT SNACK

Fruit and light snacks are available at any time following the meal service. Please help yourself or ask a flight attendant for today's selection

PRIOR TO ARRIVAL

Grilled Chicken and Provolone Cheese Sandwich
Fruit appetizer, pasta salad and sweet treat

FEATURED CHAMPAGNES AND WINES
  • Pannier Tradition - AOP Bruit NV, Champagne
  • Burgans Albarino 2009, Rias Baixas, Spain
  • Chateau St. Jean Chardonnay 2010, Carneros
  • Santa Duc - AOP Les Bussons Cairanne 2010, Cotes du Rhone Villages
  • Chateau Bellegrave 2010, Russian River Ranches
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a
GUM-HNL:
UA 200
Boeing 777 (2-class domestic config)
BusinessFirst
Have been wondering about that for some time. Thanks for reporting, mh!
Any input by chance on the HNL-GUM run?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Have been wondering about that for some time. Thanks for reporting, mh!
Any input by chance on the HNL-GUM run?
No problem! Food is good on the HNL-GUM-HNL routes. It's similar to BusinessFirst on true international routes.

I posted back in April the HNL-GUM route and it includes dinner/lunch options with a Polynesian flair. Like beef, chicken, fish and another option. My initial post from HNL-GUM is at: HNL-GUM BusinessFirst Options
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by burbujasdeamor
I just flew the 881/882 combo ORD-NRT-ORD and the chicken was dry going and the beef was WELL on the return. It's sad when the salad, ice cream and cereal on arrival are the food highlights of the dining. Will be posting pix when I get caught up with my work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.